lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Cryptkeeper
Not Yet Wild

Default 79 DS selenoids clicking but wont go

I have a 79 Club car that was running fine last year.
I parked it for the winter and now with the batteries completely charged (guage also shows 36 volts), all I get is the 5 selenoids behind the batteries clicking.
The charger (36 volt) will not charge either. Battery terminals are clean.
Any gurus out there might give me some ideas?
Thx in advance
Cryptkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 79 DS selenoids clicking but wont go

Are you sure it is a 79??? DS was made from 83 to 2004 or something ...
Anyway if you have 5 solenoids one is the master which must work to supply pack voltage to the rest. Just because a solenoid makes a clicking noise does not mean it is working .... a voltmeter test at the solenoid's large terminals will tell is power is going through it when it clicks.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Cryptkeeper
Not Yet Wild

Thx Pard, The S/N is A7919 so I assume it's a 79.
NO voltage between selenoid buss bar and 1st selenoid terminal(negative post)
When I depress the accelerator a slight bit, I get 27 or so volts from the negative master selenoid connection and the small connection on the same selenoid.
If I depress it further, all voltage is lost??????
Are ther micro switches behind the dash? If so where can I find a wiring diagram so I dont have to remove the complete cowl. I see no 79 wiring diagrams showing any micro switches.
Thx for your response.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If in fact its A7919 its a rare jewel indeed. A denotes a DS, 79 is the year 19 is the week of production. I think 80 was the first year of the DS, if wrong please tell me. Could be a demo or whatever, possibly a pre-production line run....who knows. A pic would help.....
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Cryptkeeper
Not Yet Wild

It does clearly show A7919 03989, dont have my camera available. Would like to get it running again before I restore it.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

From what you say the #1 MASTER solenoid ( nearest to drivers side ) which feeds buss bar to rest of speed solenoids has bad internal contacts if it clicks. To confirm use jumper wire ( I use one cable of jumper cables set ) across the large terminals on that solenoid and cart should run. Sorry to say this is very common with the multi solenoid carts. If you want to stay with the antiquated battery energy wasting speed control I would replace all 5 and give yourself a fresh start? Many older CC owners are switching to modern solid state controlling that in long run will be much cheaper, and many are updating at same time to 48 volts.
To give you a little info the serial number A7919 shows that your cart is a much desired "CAROCHE" CC. It should have 3 pedals, one emergency brake, one hydraulic brakes, one speed control pedal, if serial number is correct. I have looked for one for many years now and find few have survived. When you get to brakes contact me as I have some info that will save you lots of money.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I don't know about "much desired"..... "A" denotes a DS. The easy way to tell is going to be 3 pedal VS 2 pedals. If it's 3 pedals then its a Caroche, 2 pedals a DS with a "unique" serial. Probly just an EARYL 80 built in 79.

Quote:
If your serial starts with the letter K or L it is a Caroche with hydraulic brake systems and Dico brakes.

If your serial starts with the letter M or N it is a Caroche with hydraulic brake systems and Mercury brakes.
Notice the lack of letter A.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Cryptkeeper
Not Yet Wild

TRied to jump as you suggested and nothing. Wont even click now.
Removed all 5 selenoids and will replace all. Where would I get the relays (NAPA)? They must be 36 volt. Or suggest a replacement system? Or where can I get P/N's?
Tried to attach a picture of it.
Great condition, ran great last year before I parked it.
Thx for your continuing help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.JPG (111.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005a.jpg (149.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That beauty is one of the 'much desired' Caroche cars.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

All 5 should cost you a few hundred dollars. They gotta be 36 volt. It is a caroche, Its NOT a DS so....don't know what the "A" stands for on that year. Never heard of a Caroche starting with an A.

I'd start by checkng each 1. Just because they click doesn't mean they are good. You need a volt/ohm meter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car