lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
adr
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 3 link help

the rear suspension is way too stiff on my 97 cc carryall and i know it been talked about before, i read thread upon threads,,, sooooo i just gotta ask.

if i put a 3 link suspension (kinda like Chief Purple Cloud)
1) will it improve the ride
2) will i still be able to carry heavy loads in the bed without bottoming out
3) what coilovers would be the best to get, a coilover off a truck or atv to handle the weight and provide a comfortable ride...

i dont race or jump or anything like that.. this cart is to ride my 2 daughters around on and deer hunting taking corn and feed out..

any help is much appreciated.......
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Default Re: 3 link help

I would probably recommend you taking a total weight of the cart. Then, front wheel load and then rear wheel load to calculate a spring rate. I will be using FOA shocks on my sand rail. Go to FOAshocks.com and they will tell you the extended length and collapsed length of the shock. I would be safe to say a 6" shock would be more than plenty for what you are describing here! There are so many factors when calculating a spring rate. I think if you take front/rear and total weight of your cart, they will be able to get you in a close "ballpark" figure... Make sure you browse through the bump stop section also. These will keep your shocks from "bottoming" and smashing seals and valving of the coilover itself... Hope this helps! Any more questions I will do the best I can to answer
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
adr
Gone Wild
Club Car

im not too bright on suspension stuff... how do you get front wheel load and rear wheel load?
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

No problem. Do you have a grain elevator or any truck scale near you? If so, measure the cart, fully loaded. Just put the front wheels on the scale take weight. Then, put the back wheels on the scale and take the weight. Finally, take a full reading of your cart and write it down also... Email FOA and let them know what your cart weight measurments are and they will give you ballpark of the spring rate you will need
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I grabbed 2 coilovers from a terra toyz rear 3 link and did a little experimenting to come up with my own application. I have had 700 pounds of batteries in the box and me on board without a problem and I is smooth over rough terrain. A 3 link was one of the most fun GC projects I did. Go for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2043.jpg (103.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2198.jpg (63.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2304.jpg (109.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2382.jpg (183.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2464.jpg (105.2 KB, 63 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Scotty, how hard was it to build the 3 link?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It depends upon what your skills and tools are. I can weld some. I cut and measure well. I have access to a fantastic hardware store. But really since building this I have learned of better stuff available on the net for the trailing arm ends.... It was more fun than hard! Nothing beats the satisfaction of off roading your own design & driving it home
I have a lot of pictures of mine if they would help in "scotty's workhorse build"

Here is a bunch of stuff I saved for the next one ... this guy did a better job than I did, but hey it was my first.

garymx's 3 link parts links:
Anyway, you can get these parts from multiple sources. I’ve provided a few examples below.

The bushings for the center link are from a Ford F250 sway-bar. Here’s a link to Summit Racing that has them: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-4-5186R/ Fortunately, I own an F250, so I was able to use the rest of the kit on my truck. They also have track arm suspension bushings for a Chevy Impala at about half the price if you want save a little money. They are a little smaller but should work.

The shaft collars, used to house the bushings, are available at most industrial hardware supply stores such as Grainger or McMaster.

The rod ends and the weld-in threaded bungs are available at any offroad chassis supply shop or McMaster. Here are a couple of links:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends/=8d5rm2

http://www.kartek.com/Product/Fabrication/Heims.html

http://www.kartek.com/Product/Fabrication/Bungs.html

You may be able to find these at some local hardware stores.

Tubing for the links can be purchased at Home Depot in the hardware section. I used 1” non-bendable, tubing for my links. Be sure you get the non-bendable stuff. I think that is all Home Depot has.

The center link pivot is also available at a chassis supply shop like Kartek http://www.kartek.com/Product/Fabric...ssemblies.html or you can make it yourself like I did. I cut a short section of 1-1/4” tubing and purchased Delrin bushings from Ace Hardware, welded a 5/8" bolt to the end of the shaft collars, put it through a smaller tube held in the bushings and called it a day.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Awesome dude! Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That all came from here. BGW Rocks
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com

THESE GUYS ARE NOT SITE SPONSORS, BUT, WHEN IT COMES TO OFFROAD FABRICATION, THEY ARE AT THE TOP OF MY LIST. IF THEY DONT HAVE IT, THEY WILL MAKE IT. I HAVE ORDERED SOME STUFF FROM THESE GUYS, GRADE A.
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts