lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
golfer188910
Not Yet Wild

Cool RXV VS Club Car **NEWBIE**

Greetings... New to this thread & please let me know if it is in the wrong place. It is a technical question overall...

I currently have a 2012 Club Car precedent with 2019 trojan battery pack. Im tired of going so slow... we have many hills around us and the cart just crawls up the hills. Speed code 4, rear seat, and 12" wheels. However... I have a buddy with a RXV who wants a precedent. So, he offered me a trade plus $1000 on his end to swap carts. His cart is a 2008 RXV with 2018 batteries & 14" wheels, backseat. Carts are identical in features, etc... His cart runs good and feels good has somewhat of that RXV whining noise but I heard that is normal for these carts?

My question is... I want a RXV and I believe this is a good deal. BUT a friend of mine told me to stay away from RXV's below 2015 because of the old Curtis controllers? Is this issue worth staying in my precedent? Also, if the conroller goes bad... How much is a new one? Im looking online and finding crazy prices of $1,100+ for a OEM replacement. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
golfer188910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV VS Club Car **NEWBIE**

First year of RXV is 2008. 2008-early 2012 had Danaher controllers. Obsolete now and if they go bad have to convert to Curtis. Mid 2012 to present have Curtis controllers. These are the carts you want. Most RXVs come with 12v batteries. 8v batteries are an option and IMO this is the way to go. CC had 12v batteries in the early Precedents also and by 2008 they scrapped all that.

RXVs can be fitted with 20" tall tires without a lift and with freedom mode unlocked top out at 22-24 mph and will hold most of that up hills within reason.
Trans-axles are quieter now in the later models. There still is a little whine because of the 3phase ac motor.

Club Car Onward is also a nice unit. I believe CC has some AC powered carts like the RXV now. Yamaha has an AC cart since 2016. On paper even more powerful than the RXV.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you go the EZGO RXV way you want one with a Curtis controller in it 2012+.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
golfer188910
Not Yet Wild

Good to know about the danaher controllers. If they do go bad are we talking $1,000+? I saw online and those things look pricy!
golfer188910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I haven't shopped for them. Think they are getting rare at any price. You really don't want that 2008 cart IMO. First and worst year for that model.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #6
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I personally would stick with the precedent over that early of an RXV. If you wanted to upgrade I would check out the lithium club car onward and see how you like it.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
bkluck352
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

There is a Danaher to Curtis conversion kit that you could try.
bkluck352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:39 AM   #8
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I’ve been running my RXV with Danaher controller pretty hard ever since I‘ve owned it. 23” tires, lift kit, lithium conversion, etc. Is it as good as a Curtis controller? Probably not, but it hasn’t failed me yet. Don’t shy away if everything else looks good. Worst case scenario you can upgrade to a Curtis or Navitas controller later on in its life.
mccainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 2010 RXV that a shady dealer said was a 2015. It has the old Danaher controller and 20.5" tires. When I found out the age I was upset, but it runs great and I get 24.5 MPH top end.

If the old controller ever fails, there is a direct drop in Navitas controller available. There is also a Curtis upgrade available that requires a few harness wiring mods.

So if I wanted an RXV, and the price was right, it is an option. Just be aware of the history with the controller. A replacement would cost ~$1K.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You can upgrade a Danaher controller to a Curtis controller without have to splice wires or do any soldering.

Out with the old wiring in with the new. New Curtis controller all just plug and play.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008, controller, pre 2015, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO