lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Solenoid activated by F&R not Pedal

Picked up a 95 Medalist that I'm working on for a friend to drive around her RV resort. Did a partial restoration on it. The solenoid clicks with the key on and when the F&R switch is turned, not when the accelerator is pressed. It looks like the wiring from the accelerator goes directly to the controller/solenoid box bypassing the f&r microswitches. Is this right? Like I said solenoid is activated when the F&r is turned not when accelerator is pressed. So it also gets hot when left in one of those positions with the key on.

First two days she drove it, it was fine. She got on it yesterday and it was a no go. So I figured the solenoid overheated and put a new one on. That still didn't fix the problem. The new solenoid still only clicks when f&r is turned but cart still doesn't move. I also tightened all the other connections just to make sure nothing was loose. Got 38volts with the DVM between the B- and M- on the controller and it leveled out to 0 volts when solenoid activated so I'm thinking the controller is good as she's been riding it.

My guess is something funky with the accelerator or microswitches. I made sure everything was tight on the F&R switch. Any thoughts? Here's a before and after below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200528_175605_01.jpg (133.2 KB, 0 views)
DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid activated by F&R not Pedal

Can anyone post a pic of the pedal wiring or microswitch area wiring? That might help me if no one else has any ideas.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Make sure the go pedal is returning all the way back.

The diagram you need is in the: Electric EZ GO "Stickies."
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Here's a couple that may help you.

94_95_36v_Medalist_Wiring_Diag.jpg

ITS Adjustment.pdf
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This little roller is broken off of the microswitch inside the pedal box. Would that keep the pedal from making the golf cart go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200530_181054.jpg (228.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubK View Post
This little roller is broken off of the microswitch inside the pedal box. Would that keep the pedal from making the golf cart go?
That'll do it.

EZGO uses the NC (Normally Closed) contacts on the pedal microswitch, so without the lever being pushed, the contacts will be closed.

The way the lever is bent indicates the plunger might need adjusting.

The drawing is the specs for a series drive ITS.

The picture show one that is on the ragged edge of the roller dropping off the collar with pedal up and if that happens the lever will be bent/broken the next time the pedal is pushed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS adj 1 of 2.JPG (63.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo ITS & Pedal Switch.jpg (125.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks! I have a new microswitch ordered and on the way. My other question is, why is my solenoid activated from the f&r switch and not pedal? Is that a whole different wiring issue altogether? With the key on, when you select a direction, the solenoid clicks.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Three or four set of switch contacts have to be closed to activate the solenoid and the pedal switch is the last set of contacts in that series circuit. Since it has failed with the contacts constantly closed, closing the contacts on the preceding two switches will activate the solenoid.

Nothing is wrong with the wiring, that is the way EZGO designed it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Makes perfect sense. What is strange though, is that before this switch broke and the pedal was working and we were able to drive it around, the solenoid was still activated by the f&r switch and not the pedal. So if she'd pull up and stop and get off with the selector still in forward with key on, solenoid would get pretty hot since it would still be activated. So I told her always make sure to put it in neutral when stopping. Thank you for all your help on this. I'll install the new switch tomorrow and see if that helps with this issue. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Now that I'm thinking about it, pretty sure that roller may have been bent out of place earlier so that the solenoid was staying activated but would still go when the plunger entered the ITS. (Before roller was broken off). So I'm thinking the new switch will definitely fix the problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO