lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
TheWarmBeer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Air Shock Replacement

I have a lifted EZGO, with an aftermarket front end, and the front air shocks are starting to not hold air for long. I don't know what kind of shocks they are, i bought it used, and was wondering if anyone had any idea on replacements? I measured and they are about 16" long with "P351X" on them. Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4480.jpg (165.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1595_Original.jpg (174.5 KB, 0 views)
TheWarmBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Air Shock Replacement

They look like Gabriel HiJackers. I can't make out the part number. I'd probably go with coil overs. You'll have to take the measurement from eye to eye installed to get some that match up.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:57 AM   #3
TheWarmBeer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
They look like Gabriel HiJackers. I can't make out the part number. I'd probably go with coil overs. You'll have to take the measurement from eye to eye installed to get some that match up.
Thank you. I will have to take them off and get a true measurement.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
Chugger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

wow what a coincidence - I just bought a cart with exact same lift kit and it too needs front shock. what's really funny is my brush guard looks exactly like yours as well - crooked. LOL

was your seller able to tell you what lift kit this is? or do you know? I haven't been able to find anything about the manufacture.

please post back with which coil over shocks you end up getting and how they work out.

Last edited by Chugger; 05-19-2020 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: adding content
Chugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
TheWarmBeer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
wow what a coincidence - I just bought a cart with exact same lift kit and it too needs front shock. what's really funny is my brush guard looks exactly like yours as well - crooked. LOL

was your seller able to tell you what lift kit this is? or do you know? I haven't been able to find anything about the manufacture.

please post back with which coil over shocks you end up getting and how they work out.

He told me when I bought it, but I cannot remember the name now. Yeah, it is funny how that bumper is crooked! I will look into some shocks, but it will probably be like 2 weeks. Not going back to the cottage where it is stored this weekend!
Old 05-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Stretch Plastics?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stretch ezgo.jpg (67.1 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stretch Plastics ezgo manual.pdf (3.23 MB, 0 views)
Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
Chugger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Stretch Plastics?
wow I think you got it - that's the closest I've ever seen. that's awesome you posted the PDF because as far as I can tell their website is current with COVID19 stuff, but I don't believe they are making this kit anymore. every dealer website I went to from their list didn't offer their lift kit.
Chugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I have used atv shocks on several carts. I'm guessing you could get some that are super close in size. KYB are common brands from Yamaha atv's, and some others. Get an eye to eye measurement and I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
iwashmycar
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That manual says they are 16" shocks. Probably would get the job done if you can source 16" atv shocks
iwashmycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:29 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Honda 400ex front shocks 16.5" softest
Honda 450r front shocks 16.5" firmer
Kawasaki KFX700 front shocks 16.25" firm
Yamaha Viking UTV front shocks 17" firmest

I rated the shocks from soft to firm.
The 400ex shocks will ride nice and soft but will bottom out on large bumps or with two or more passengers. The 450r shocks are more of a racing shock with reservoirs and are compression and rebound adjustable. The Kfx700 shocks are going to be right in the middle and might be the best all around shock. The Viking shocks would come in handy if you use a plow.

When you install them you will just need to compress them a hair to fit. Also, the center bushing on the stocks might need to be ground down a bit, sometimes they are too wide to fit into the cart mounting tabs. I've found a grinder does a good job of taking off a little at a time. The bolts might not be the same diameter, so be prepared to buy some new "GRADE 8" bolts, washers, nuts, and lock washers.

With atv shocks I have never had any issues with fitment, performance, durability, or ride quality. It's just a matter of finding the correct one for your machine and use. Good condition atv shocks are around $100-$150 per pair. New they are $200 each. You can also get aftermarket performance shocks made to your specs for around $1200 per pair from: Ohlins, Elka, and/or Works Peformance. They can make shocks with dual or triple springs to create sag or use larger diameter springs for more lift and weight capacity, and also change the valving for machine weight etc. You get what you pay for here.

Yes, I am a suspension nut!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 400ex front shocks.jpg (41.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 450r front shocks.jpg (34.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg kfx700 front shocks.jpg (27.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg viking front shocks.jpg (25.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Elka shocks.jpg (100.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts