lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
yama_hammer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha g9 build

Hey y'all, I was given a Yamaha g9 from my uncle that used to be my dad's. It's in pretty good shape other than my uncle painting it a stupid sky blue color. I've had four several years now and haven't did anything with it. Only drove it a couple times in fact. I've decided to fix it up nice and have a hunting buggy. I bought a 6" sgc a-arm lift from golf cart tire supply. First i wanna give a shout out to them. I placed my order on Friday and got it yesterday. Plus, they had the best price I could find. I bought 22x11-8 tires for it as well. I have some camo vinyl wrap coming for it that should be here soon too. I do have 1 question. Does anyone know if I will need tire spacers for 22x11-8 tires with stock rims?
yama_hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
93yamslammer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha g9 build

I am not 100% on this, but most lifts require at least a 10 inch rim to clear everything properly. You may be able to get away with wheel spacers but it could rub the arms in other spots. The larger rim size would allow the inner wheel to clear better while turning. Not so much the tire itself.
93yamslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Looking forward to following along!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
yama_hammer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks! I suppose I'll find out for sure soon enough when I get em slapped on there.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
yama_hammer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Got started on my g9 build today! Pulled it out into the driveway and pressure washed it. Removed some of the plastic to get a good look at the frame. It'll need a bit of attention in rust and paint but isn't terrible. Especially under battery area. I also have a sweet little brush guard I snatched from a junk kawasaki mule that was going to scrap. It looks like it'll fit on the front bumper with minimal fabrication. I also purchased realtree style camo vinyl wrap to put on it after everything else is done. My uncle, God love him, painted the plastic with hideous blue spray paint. Not only that but it's probably the cheapest rattle can paint Walmart had on their shelf. Lol. I'm assuming I'll need to strip the paint off before wrapping? Anyways, like all projects, it looks like it's going to be more work than I originally thought. Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200505_131357.jpg (553.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200505_131413.jpg (560.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200505_131423.jpg (591.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Those are great carts. Yeah you'll prob want to try and get the paint off, at least the loose stuff. Don't sand through into the plastic. Not sure you can use a chemical stripper either, might melt the plastic.

Battery tray, if not rusted through, can be dealt with using POR15, good stuff. I usually just paint the rest of the frame with Rustoleum spray. Almost every golf cart has a rusted up battery tray, some even have rotted out the frame. Especially the Yamaha's, I've seen a good number of them have a section rotted out of the main side frame.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
yama_hammer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Worked for about 45 minutes last night. Got the rear end lifted and started taking apart the front end to install the new a-arms. I got lots of room for new rubber in the fender wells now! Just want to give a shout out to Steeleng Golf Cart. Their 6inch a-arm lift for g series Yamaha carts is great. Good quality material, nice welds, made in usa, and a cinch to install. Plus they were the cheapest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200507_203558.jpg (286.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200507_203614.jpg (466.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
93yamslammer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Looking like great progress!! Keep it up.
93yamslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:18 AM   #9
yama_hammer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I worked a little more on the cart this evening. I finished installing front end lift kit and fixed a bunch of rust areas and painted the frame a couple weeks ago. It's been raining every weekend for like 3 weeks straight which isn't good when you're working in a driveway so haven't done anything since. I had to order 2.5" wheel spacers for each side of the front end to get clearance on the steering linkage. That answers that question. I stripped the awful blue paint best I could with aircraft stripper. It got the majority off but the rest will be sanded out before vinyl wrap. Progress!
Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Keep at it. The weather will be better. This year has been crappy in Ohio too. Just rains every other day, soggy lawn, ticks are bad, just crappy spring. But....I predict dry weather is on the horizon!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts