lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #101
davidgolfer
Gone Wild

Default Re: Roypow Lithium Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anpgator View Post
Really enjoying my 56ah pack in my mostly stock DS. If I had to nitpick I would say the discharge indicator bars drop a little more conservatively than what is probably true. After about 14 miles with 2 bars left I’m still over 52 volts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not much battery life for a lithium pack. Wonder how far you could go?
davidgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #102
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Your "old" digital volt meter will work with lithium batteries. The VM just measures pack volts and doesn't care if the pack is LA, Lithium, or a series of potatoes. My VM usually shows .1 Volt difference from my BMS monitor. I can only conclude because of the wiring used in each one is different. But the difference is consistent.

I know most users like to use the SOC meter. That is on my monitor but I always use the remaining volts as the gauge of how much "juice" I have left.

If you look at a chart of the Leaf battery you will see that the "knee" is right at the 3.5V per cell mark. So, do the math and 3.5x14= 49.0V. From the 3.5V per cell to the absolute lowest safe V a cell can go is down to 3.14V per cell or a pack charge of 43.9 (I round to 44.0V)

Now, it doesn't take long to go from a pack V of 49.0 to 44.0. Look at the graph to see the steep drop of that range.

So to go from say 53.0V to 50.0V.....the voltage drop is...as you can see on the graph.....still a more horizontal line than a more vertical line.

So...."using" those 3V from the 53.0 to 50.0....and comparing the "using" of the 5V from 49.0 to 44.0, you simply don't get far on those last 5-volts as you will on the previous 3-volts.

And yes.....I in fact tried this to see how much longer I could go on that 5-volts. Results? Yeah....don't try that at home....or anywhere else unless you have a way to retrieve your cart. Mine "ran out" back in the woods. Fortunately it was on a wide path and accessible via my 4X4 truck. I drove the truck down (after a walk I don't want to discuss!) and winched the cart onto the truck bed.

My entire experiment taught me a lot about the performance of the lithium pack I had. Since my initial install of 7 modules I then expanded to 14 modules. I'm a much happier camper with the 14 modules.

So, I hope my babbling on about the above will help anyone who is "getting educated" on the daily life of using a lithium battery pack!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #103
astang70
Not Yet Wild

My old digital meter want even come on after the install. The one that comes with the RoyPow works but it stays on even with key off. Is this normal. Thanks
astang70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #104
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Your "old" digital volt meter will work with lithium batteries. The VM just measures pack volts and doesn't care if the pack is LA, Lithium, or a series of potatoes. My VM usually shows .1 Volt difference from my BMS monitor. I can only conclude because of the wiring used in each one is different. But the difference is consistent.

I know most users like to use the SOC meter. That is on my monitor but I always use the remaining volts as the gauge of how much "juice" I have left.

If you look at a chart of the Leaf battery you will see that the "knee" is right at the 3.5V per cell mark. So, do the math and 3.5x14= 49.0V. From the 3.5V per cell to the absolute lowest safe V a cell can go is down to 3.14V per cell or a pack charge of 43.9 (I round to 44.0V)

Now, it doesn't take long to go from a pack V of 49.0 to 44.0. Look at the graph to see the steep drop of that range.

So to go from say 53.0V to 50.0V.....the voltage drop is...as you can see on the graph.....still a more horizontal line than a more vertical line.

So...."using" those 3V from the 53.0 to 50.0....and comparing the "using" of the 5V from 49.0 to 44.0, you simply don't get far on those last 5-volts as you will on the previous 3-volts.

And yes.....I in fact tried this to see how much longer I could go on that 5-volts. Results? Yeah....don't try that at home....or anywhere else unless you have a way to retrieve your cart. Mine "ran out" back in the woods. Fortunately it was on a wide path and accessible via my 4X4 truck. I drove the truck down (after a walk I don't want to discuss!) and winched the cart onto the truck bed.

My entire experiment taught me a lot about the performance of the lithium pack I had. Since my initial install of 7 modules I then expanded to 14 modules. I'm a much happier camper with the 14 modules.

So, I hope my babbling on about the above will help anyone who is "getting educated" on the daily life of using a lithium battery pack!!
Yea thats what I thought with lithium once it drops it drops hard and fast. Seems it would still be helpful to keep my digital volt meter t see when it gets close to the knee...so I dont have to do a walk that "I dont want to talk about" LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astang70 View Post
My old digital meter want even come on after the install. The one that comes with the RoyPow works but it stays on even with key off. Is this normal. Thanks
What kind of old meter and how is it wired?

I think its normal for it to stay on...there is a power button for the battery on the side of it that I think will shut it all off?
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #105
astang70
Not Yet Wild

Yes the gauge is suppose to stay on all the time, you’re right. I called them. My other gauge wasn’t working because we cut the wire. We got it in its tight but not to bad some cutting and 2” tubing did the trick. Lol Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82558021-661A-4207-AD0B-E7A9AF4B8A8C.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2940ECD3-E77A-44E4-835E-A48920FA0A49.jpg (156.4 KB, 0 views)
astang70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #106
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Yes the gauge is suppose to stay on all the time, you’re right. I called them. My other gauge wasn’t working because we cut the wire. We got it in its tight but not to bad some cutting and 2” tubing did the trick. Lol Thanks
Oh nice the 160ah, thats what I want. I thought they had a "install kit" that came with them for certain carts that had everything you needed?

It looks like roypow listed the new higher discharge amp versions on there site and it looked like they are a little bigger. I am guessing it will still fit.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #107
davidgolfer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Nice. 160 is what I have been wanting
davidgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #108
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolagt View Post
What kind of old meter and how is it wired?

I have a dash mount DVM that I purchased from Scotty. https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html The install was easy and IIRC I think it's just a positive wire to the + and negative wire to the - of the battery pack.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #109
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I have a dash mount DVM that I purchased from Scotty. https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html The install was easy and IIRC I think it's just a positive wire to the + and negative wire to the - of the battery pack.

Sorry I was asking astang70 how his was wired and what did he have because he said his wasn't working after the roypow install.

Thats the same meter I have and I plan to keep that one where its at. I might install the one that comes with the roypow under the seat next to the battery.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #110
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I've noticed that most of you guys going to the RoyPow are modified to heavily modified carts, motor and controller wise.

My guess is that it's as safe as safe can be to throw these things on a 36V TXT with stock controller and motor? That would be their 38V option at either 50Ah (S3856) or 105Ah (S38105)?
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, lithium, roypow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium