lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2010 precedent leaf install-

Question--

I am using the chargery BMS but am guessing the tap locations would all be the same location on the pack regardless of brand of BMS??

I have a wiring diagram that shows BMS locations for the zeva, that has been posted here and was planning to just follow that. Then I saw a couple users post on for the Chargery (but the cells and pack are flipped from how I built mine) and it appears some of the locations are different. my above pictures shows how I am wiring it now. Ok to keep going as shown or do I follow another diagram?

DOes it matter which side of the 2 cells wired together in parallel that I tap into? Thanks ahead of time for any help

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160181
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #12
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Changed a few things from oringinal way I setup my Pack..

Moved shunt to B- and followed charger and relay configuration best I could. I had planned to use a MJZ400 for the HV/LV disconnect but originally was under the assumption I just needed one relay/disconnect. After studying the schematic after i started I realize I need 2 . Really wish I would have followed the relay setup that sergio posted but had already purchased the MZJ400 and thought it might simplify things ANy issue with using my original clubcar Solenoid for the HV-(Charger- connection) disconnect? I went ahead and wired it to the charger side.

Is the flyback diode needed on both the relays/disconnects and if so does it go between the small terminals?

RIght now with everything hooked up-I have 54.3 volts at first terminal of the (discharge) relay from the pack but 0 on other side of relay and BMS isn't powering on.

Does everything else look correct?
Old 04-04-2020, 04:55 AM   #13
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wish I could help you. Unfortunately I do not have the knowledge to be able to. I went with a ZEVA BMS because there were plenty of threads on here about it and folks willing to help. I have seen on here where folks have done the Chargery BMS, but I have not seen any detailed write ups.

Maybe do a search and try private messaging the folks who have done them. On my build thread member MyCousinVinnie had posted a couple times and I believe he got his built with the Chargery BMS. Maybe try him.

I wish you luck, hope this helps!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #14
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks. Looking back, I should have picked a build and followed it 100% instead of trying to piece together from different builds. I dont have enough knowledge to figure out the different configurations. I know chargery hasn’t been used as much. Jason from chargery has been real quick to respond and everything I have had issues with has been my error

I did get bms powered on. Still can’t get power past the lv relay. I am assuming it needs a signal from the bms to open the power. I used the mjz400 48v solenoid for my lv disconnect/ is this a problem? It looks like the one chargery provides is 12v- is this an issue?

From Chargery Manual --- BMS16T can output 12V 3A to power the charge and discharge relay. So the relay coil driven
voltage must be 12V and total current for charge and discharge relay don’t be larger than 2.5A.

SO I looks like I need to replace my current disconnects/Relays. COrrect?

Here are specs on cells. Will this be ok to balance on charger?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16344AE2-C8D0-4796-881B-02810B06DBEF.jpg (132.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 440CBB94-2D17-442D-90AF-41266FA3606E.jpg (94.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #15
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
Thanks. Looking back, I should have picked a build and followed it 100% instead of trying to piece together from different builds. I dont have enough knowledge to figure out the different configurations. I know chargery hasn’t been used as much. Jason from chargery has been real quick to respond and everything I have had issues with has been my error

I did get bms powered on. Still can’t get power past the lv relay. I am assuming it needs a signal from the bms to open the power. I used the mjz400 48v solenoid for my lv disconnect/ is this a problem? It looks like the one chargery provides is 12v- is this an issue?

From Chargery Manual --- BMS16T can output 12V 3A to power the charge and discharge relay. So the relay coil driven
voltage must be 12V and total current for charge and discharge relay don’t be larger than 2.5A.

SO I looks like I need to replace my current disconnects/Relays. COrrect?

Here are specs on cells. Will this be ok to balance on charger?
For sure there is a problem if you are powering the coil of a 48v solenoid with only 12v. Would almost certainly not be enough voltage to engage the main circuit.

I had a Chargery when I was considering a Leaf build (went RoyPow instead) and so I have some minor familiarity with it. I sold it on eBay since I didn't ultimately need it but I remember it needing 12v coil relays / solenoids on the HV and LV, as you point out. I'm guessing you should be good to go when you get ones that have 12v coils.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #16
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help Pretty much what I was thinking.

I need to find something fairly quickly to get the cart working again. I could swap out to something better if I need to, but I need to find a option that is relatively quick if safe

The 12v mzj400 comes from China and would take a few weeks

Are either of these an option for the discharge (lv) disconnect?

I am thinking the charge side can be a smaller sized relay -solenoid. Found this one - 12v-200a?
Old 04-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #17
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
Thanks for the help Pretty much what I was thinking.

I need to find something fairly quickly to get the cart working again. I could swap out to something better if I need to, but I need to find a option that is relatively quick if safe

The 12v mzj400 comes from China and would take a few weeks

Are either of these an option for the discharge (lv) disconnect?

I am thinking the charge side can be a smaller sized relay -solenoid. Found this one - 12v-200a?
I remember thinking the same thing - that there were limited options for 12v coil relays / solenoids that could handle 48-72v at up to 500-600amps.

I was in the middle of sourcing all of that when I decided to go the way I did, so unfortunately I don't have specific suggestions.

I think you are correct in assuming the charge one could be substantially less heavy duty. I'd think 200a would be plenty for the main contacts, as long as it is a continuous rating. Charging would likely only be at 10 to maybe 25amps max. Any more than around 20-25 amps @ that kind of DC voltage and you'd probably need a 240v receptacle instead of a standard 120v.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #18
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

I received my 12v -500a relay to install for the lv cutoff. Still waiting in the hv/charger relay. Will install a flybackdiode on the small terminals with silver stripe facing the red/activation side
Old 04-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #19
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Still waiting in charge side relay to arrive. As of now I am getting an alarm b/c of the difference in cell voltage and bms is shutting down the discharge relay. I didn’t balance batteries before I installed.

Can this difference be balanced out by bms with the charge cycle?

Posting other bms settings. Found a few other chargery specs posted and have made some adjustments to settings. Posting some pics for feedback on what else to change
Old 04-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #20
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Got cart up and running. Trying to work out a couple of the kinks still and will probably change the way some of the wiring is routed, but overall I am happy with the setup. Went back and re-read alot of post regarding the chargery BMS settings and found some good info, more specific to the chargery. I think I have the proper settings in place but might still adjust some of the cell settings. I need to get my batteries balanced still and understand the chargery will do this in storage and charge but it will take some time. I missed the part about balancing before installing.

I initially Had the cell empty battery too high which was causing my SOC % to drop very quickly and activating the discharge cutoff.

I currently have adjusted my settings and cart is preforming extremely well. I still need to get

I have verified both the charge and discharge relays are functioning properly and disconnecting the pack at the proper settings.

I have picked up at least 5mph- Top speed is 28mph now and cart seems to be quicker though out the range

Went about 10 minutes and everyhing seemed to be running great, and then went to stop and turn around and cart stopped. Wouldn't move, just a small shudder when I pressed pedal . went to look over all connections and still had 56.2 V on BMS. Noticed that the F&R solenoid wasn't clicking when pedal was activated.

Luckily i had a brand new MZJ400 @ the house and was able to get a ride back and swap out and get cart running again.

is this a fluke or am I going to have more issues with a failed F&R solenoid with this setup? I am thinking that this is unrelated to the lithium swap but being that is happened so soon after the swap I am wondering if something I did could have caused this??

going to go ahead and order another one for a spare but hate to have something that isnt reliable. Anyone else have this issue?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium