lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
G8rbob
Not Yet Wild

Default Conflicting advice on painting - please help!

Hello everyone - I’ve been scouring this forum for all kinds of tips and tricks on my first ever golf cart fixer-upper, a 2002 Club Car DS...

I have been following the sticky on prep work for painting plastic bodies - and am at the point of sanding smooth after filling scratches and gouges; next step would be to prime, and this is where my conflict comes into play:

1 - continue to follow the sticky, use adhesion promoter, duplicolor prime, paint (black), topcoat.

Or:

2 - talked to a local guy in a bodyshop that can order tuxedo black (ford color, which is my ultimate desire), already reduced, clear coat, etc all in one. It is significantly more expensive, and much less work - but he also said no need to use an adhesion promoter, just rough it up with the sand paper and spray, 2 coats would do it.

I’m leaning toward the all-in-one, because it gets the actual color I want and is less steps. Am concerned about the advice of no adhesion promoter, however. Would appreciate ya’lls thoughts, words of wisdom, etc. Thank you again for all the great information!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
G8rbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Conflicting advice on painting - please help!

I am no expert but have a little paint experience. It seems most do not use an adhesion promoter, I just painted a Yamaha with automotive acrylic enamel followed by a urethane clear coat and did not use any. SEM makes a flexible primer. I bought some but did not use it on this cart. I plan on using it for my next one though. I order my paint on line because I feel it is a better deal than an automotive paint shop and they are hard to find in my area. Had one I used to go to but it closed up shop. I order quart size which is more than enough to do a golf cart body. I have some other projects that involve clear coating over decals. I do use Bulldog adhesion promoter on the decals before I clear. Not 100% sure it is necessary though. I had a reaction in the past without the adhesion promoter but I also had a reaction once using it. The majority of the time I have no reaction when I use the promoter. If you use the promoter, at what stage do you apply it? Before primer? Before final color? Seems to me it would be direct to the plastic body prior to primer. If it was me, I would just make sure the plastic is prepped well and go straight to primer then color.
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rbob View Post
Hello everyone - I’ve been scouring this forum for all kinds of tips and tricks on my first ever golf cart fixer-upper, a 2002 Club Car DS...

I have been following the sticky on prep work for painting plastic bodies - and am at the point of sanding smooth after filling scratches and gouges; next step would be to prime, and this is where my conflict comes into play:

1 - continue to follow the sticky, use adhesion promoter, duplicolor prime, paint (black), topcoat.

Or:

2 - talked to a local guy in a bodyshop that can order tuxedo black (ford color, which is my ultimate desire), already reduced, clear coat, etc all in one. It is significantly more expensive, and much less work - but he also said no need to use an adhesion promoter, just rough it up with the sand paper and spray, 2 coats would do it.

I’m leaning toward the all-in-one, because it gets the actual color I want and is less steps. Am concerned about the advice of no adhesion promoter, however. Would appreciate ya’lls thoughts, words of wisdom, etc. Thank you again for all the great information!

You are spot on with all of the above. Off-the-shelf rattle can paint is what it is. A lot of guys use it but let's face it.......it's much cheaper for a reason. Using adhesion promoter with it will lessen the flaking risk associated with rattle cans.

With your second option, that paint shop is suggesting that you use a "single stage" auto paint for your cart (paint and clear coat in one step). Indeed, you do not need adhesion promoter with that. If anything, it's too sticky as is. Make sure that you wear gloves and cover anything you are painting near as it's just above impossible to get such paint off of whatever it gets on (which is a good thing for your cart). I didn't wear gloves when I painted my first cart and, lesson learned, it took weeks for all of the paint to wear off of my hands.

Regarding single stage, it's like a magic trick happening before your eyes. When you first paint the cart it will look a bit dull. After an hour or two it will be as shiny as a new car as the clear will emerge.

You have options regarding the single stage delivery: spray gun delivery (which requires a compressor, obviously) or the paint shop can fill aerosol cans with the paint of your choosing. Both methods will deliver the same paint longevity but the bottle finishes won't be as smooth as a spray gun.

Note that with a spray gun, you control how much hardener is added to the paint depending on temperature (the paint shop will let you know how much hardener to add depending on when you are planning to paint). With bottle delivery the hardener isn't adjustable. No big deal but, with the bottle delivery, your paint may be just a bit "soft" for a few days after painting depending on conditions. It will be dry to the touch and the cart can be used for sure. It just won't be fully cured so it will be a bit more susceptible to scratching so you have to be careful. After that it will be darn near indestructible.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
G8rbob
Not Yet Wild

Lochlin - Thank you! I appreciate you replying and the information - I think that is the way to go!

G8rbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint