lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
IRwynn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Turn Signals issues?

Bought my 2011 Precedent used and it already has headlights, taillights and the bucket harness was installed. I purchased a turn signal kit with the brake (timer circuit) and horn, added a 48v to 12 v converter . Here is what i find odd
1) with headlights off there and setting the stalk on either turn signal the correct front light blinks properly but both rear lights blink
2) headlights on all turn signals work properly, 4 ways work
3) I replaced the headlights and turn signal bulb in the front with LED bulbs, when I turn on the cart the headlights light up slightly with the headlight switch off. They work fine when the headlight switch is on.

I thought that there was a wiring error so I checked my friends 2011 precedent and the turn signals work the same as my cart in 1. We have different signal kits where his cart has the headlight switch on the turn signal stalk.

Is this the way all precedent light kits work?

PS added a relay to turn on the 48v to 12 converter when the cart is turned on.
IRwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Turn Signals issues?

What turn signal kit did you buy? Do you know which headlight kit was installed? There are times when just swapping in LED bulbs can cause issues if not the correct bulbs. LED bulbs by themselves have far less resistance than an normal incandescent bulb.

Unfortunately a good multi-meter and a few hours is what you'll need to troubleshoot. Trace the wires and test for 12V at various locations.
ClubCar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is usually caused by inexpensive LED rear taillights that back feed the low intensity "marker" lights when the brighter "brake/turn signal" lights are powered.

If You pay close attention to the rear taillight opposite to the one that should be blinking, you will likely notice that is not the bright light that is blinking.

Also depending on how sensitive the headlight is, You will also notice a dim light when the brakes are on.

The solution is to use inexpensive diodes (1N4004 1 amp type) in each of the rear taillights brown wire (the marker lights power).

The diode should be installed in line with the brown wire near the taillight and with the cathode (side with the stripe) pointing towards the tail light.

That assures that the brown wire can only provide power to the taillight and not allow back-feed when the brake or turn signal is activated.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
IRwynn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

CC86
I bought the kit on ebay from east coast golf cart

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Club-Car-Pr...e/382848053958

what baffles me is my friends cart operates the same way with the exception of the headlights, his cart has standard halogen bulbs.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
IRwynn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Sergio,
I did notice that one selected was slightly brighter. I will get some diodes and fix that problem. Thanks for the great information!
Old 08-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

IRwynn, I had to install diodes on a different wiring project, but it was the fix as well. I suspect that will fix it for you. I purchased a lot of 25 off Amazon. I miss radio shack for these types of things. :(
ClubCar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
IRwynn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

ClubCar86, Yeah there is nowhere in in Statesboro Ga for these any longer. Amazon is the way. Will update when I get them installed
Old 08-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
IRwynn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Sergio
I installed the diode in line and now the lights all work perfectly. Thank you very much for the information.

Tags
turn signal problems
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car