lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #101
cricketo
Getting Wild

Default Re: DIY 101 - 14 cell Nissan Leaf lithium pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith93611 View Post
if they are both 16S systems shouldn't they be wired the same ?

Underlying hardware dictates wiring. Two vendors can pick any arbitrary way to implement their BMS. Now looking at two charts, the only difference I see in fact Zeva requires a jumper to pin 16 from the last cell's pin. That's probably because pin 16 also supplies pack voltage to power the BMS. No such jumper on Chargery, so it powers itself in a different way.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #102
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketo View Post

Underlying hardware dictates wiring. Two vendors can pick any arbitrary way to implement their BMS. Now looking at two charts, the only difference I see in fact Zeva requires a jumper to pin 16 from the last cell's pin. That's probably because pin 16 also supplies pack voltage to power the BMS. No such jumper on Chargery, so it powers itself in a different way.
Yes, this is correct.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #103
Stxhunter
Not Yet Wild

Great post!! Thanks for all the details! Anything you would have changed at this point?

Is EV Supply still the best place for the leaf batteries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #104
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stxhunter View Post
Great post!! Thanks for all the details! Anything you would have changed at this point?

Is EV Supply still the best place for the leaf batteries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks hope it helps.

The EV Battery Center is no longer selling used batteries. Most people seem to be getting their modules from Ebay these days.

I initially went with the Zeva BMS because that is what many of the guys used in their builds for the previous couple of years. It was a reliable system that I seen installed, met all the requirements, good customer support and it had a cool monitor. The only real downside was the price... My wife "owed" me at the time so I paid and got the cool monitor. There are cheaper BMS' available from China if you're willing to do your own research to ensure that it meets your needs safely.

The same goes true for the Gigavac for HV/LV disconnects. In my next pack build I'll probably use a MZJ solenoid.

I found that my daily driving was typically using only 10-20% and I would only dip into the pac to 80% a couple of times a month. With those driving habits to reduce stress on the cells I adjusted the charging voltage from 58.4 to 57v and the upper BMS settings to match. I also made more of the battery available at the bottom for us to use once we got comfortable with the discharge "cliff". I used to tell my wife to plug it in at 52v just to be safe now she has until 50v.

Have fun and be safe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #105
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Thanks MC .... Great write-up and Great Information.
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #106
e2v
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Awesome build. Do you have pictures of the in cart, pack install? I'm gathering research for the same pack build for my Carryall 6. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190129/6e61b5acdd0e9b326d648e6a90fc3361.jpg

e2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #107
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2v View Post
Awesome build. Do you have pictures of the in cart, pack install? I'm gathering research for the same pack build for my Carryall 6. Thanks.
Maybe this will help, I haven't worked on one of those yet..

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Old 02-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #108
e2v
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Maybe this will help, I haven't worked on one of those yet..

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Very helpful, thanks. I had missed the thread w/cart install. I'm a cart newb and voraciously reading/researching what's involved with upgrading to lithium. Feel like I comprehend building/balancing/BMSing a pack (going w/leafs). Still fuzzy on Hv/Lv, Shunts, Controllers, etc. Wondering how much, if any, of my old 48v '98 CC-Carryall 6 parts I can reuse. It's a series (non-regen) cart. Any thoughts welcome and very impressed with your build and many of the other builders here. Thanks
Old 02-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #109
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2v View Post
Very helpful, thanks. I had missed the thread w/cart install. I'm a cart newb and voraciously reading/researching what's involved with upgrading to lithium. Feel like I comprehend building/balancing/BMSing a pack (going w/leafs). Still fuzzy on Hv/Lv, Shunts, Controllers, etc. Wondering how much, if any, of my old 48v '98 CC-Carryall 6 parts I can reuse. It's a series (non-regen) cart. Any thoughts welcome and very impressed with your build and many of the other builders here. Thanks
Sergio, recently did a very informative build using a Generic Chinese BMS and relays for LV protection.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...inese-bms.html
I'm using a simular BMS in my current build. The $80 Bluetooth Smart BMS provides balancing and Overcharging (HV) protection but doesn't have a (LV) disconnect (Gigavac). In lieu of the Gigavac or Sergio's relay shut off to protect the battery against over discharging I'm installing a simple low voltage alarm which will start squealing at a preset voltage and not stop until the battery is charging.

The Zeva and Chargery are both proving to be good systems but are quite pricey. Another member on BGW has put together more than 25 of these Leaf packs for friends of his and he used 2 Zeva BMSs early on but now uses these generic BMS exclusively without any issues.

I'm not sure of the specifics for your cart but it really shouldn't be too difficult as far as the actual battery swap goes. In most cases the B- from your new battery goes to the controller B- and the B+ goes to the solenoid, just as before. Sometimes you need to bypass a plug-in safety switch or bypass the OBC, but there's a lot of help here on BGW that will know your cart and can help with your specific needs.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #110
e2v
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Sergio, recently did a very informative build using a Generic Chinese BMS and relays for LV protection.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...inese-bms.html
I'm using a simular BMS in my current build. The $80 Bluetooth Smart BMS provides balancing and Overcharging (HV) protection but doesn't have a (LV) disconnect (Gigavac). In lieu of the Gigavac or Sergio's relay shut off to protect the battery against over discharging I'm installing a simple low voltage alarm which will start squealing at a preset voltage and not stop until the battery is charging.

The Zeva and Chargery are both proving to be good systems but are quite pricey. Another member on BGW has put together more than 25 of these Leaf packs for friends of his and he used 2 Zeva BMSs early on but now uses these generic BMS exclusively without any issues.

I'm not sure of the specifics for your cart but it really shouldn't be too difficult as far as the actual battery swap goes. In most cases the B- from your new battery goes to the controller B- and the B+ goes to the solenoid, just as before. Sometimes you need to bypass a plug-in safety switch or bypass the OBC, but there's a lot of help here on BGW that will know your cart and can help with your specific needs.

Thanks again, I haven't started a BOM list or decided which BMS (Chargery, Zeva or white label). I'll follow what Pingeye3 and Sergio are doing (both excellent builders). Primarily, I've been following ebay prices of leaf modules figuring I'd start with the pack design and location in the cart then workout the rest. Been looking at RV battery boxes to locate pack under the bed (location of existing 6x 8v). Biggest challenge so far is cart was purchased not running with dry batteries. Will have to test everything to determine why was parked by previous institutional owner, used for "facility maintenance." I have plenty of room to use your pack design. Looking into RV battery boxes but need to decide whether to also locate other connections there or under the seat. Hopefully, I'll get enough posts soon to Go wild and start my own thread. Thanks for your replies much appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium