lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Winyah
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger recommendations for 48v obc bypassed

Looking for recommendations for charger since I had to bypass my obc and tired of having to worry about over charging my batteries. I have a power drive 2 charger now if anyone wants to trade or buy thanks
Winyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
HaulnA$$
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Charger recommendations for 48v obc bypassed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winyah View Post
Looking for recommendations for charger since I had to bypass my obc and tired of having to worry about over charging my batteries. I have a power drive 2 charger now if anyone wants to trade or buy thanks
To me it depends on how you plan to use the cart. I went with the Yewy UY1200z with float mode since I don’t use the cart all the time and want to keep the batteries topped off with a float charge. If I used the cart daily I probably would have gone with the DPI. JMHO
HaulnA$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
Winyah
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I’ll look into both chargers
Winyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Winyah you need to get a charger ASAP as you are not truly charging your batteries now, you are only surface charging them as there is no algorithm for your Powerdrive without your OBC. That bypass is only meant as an interim and you will substantially shorten the useful life of the batteries.

I would go with the DPI myself. That is a large capacity heavy duty charger that is tried and true in our industry and made in the USA!

http://www.dpipower.com/store/index....en-iv-48v.html

scottyb carries these at Carts Unlimited http://www.cartsunlimited.net/chargers-36-48v.html for like $295
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:34 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Nivel/Madjax sell a microprocessor timer that attaches to a stock PowerDrive and basically turns it into a Lestronic, and costs half the price of an OBC.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those devices are not to be used with a Powerdrive charger.

They were intended to be used with Ferroresonant chargers which will taper the current as the pack voltage rises.

The Powerdrive charger is just a power supply (Transformer + diodes) it has no way to regulate the current, that part is handled by the SCR inside the OBC.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

They work perfectly fine with PowerDrive chargers. In fact, the instructions have diagrams/install instructions for various PowerDrive chargers.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
They work perfectly fine with PowerDrive chargers. In fact, the instructions have diagrams/install instructions for various PowerDrive chargers.
How do they control the charging current since all they do is turn the charging relay On/Off?

Please post a picture of those diagrams, this is a misconception that I have seen posted many times in the site.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

They change rates too. It's not just a timer. look the picture up on the Nivel site and it shows 'finish rate' on the part.

It turns the relay on when car is plugged to the charger, then it hums and the ammeter slowly rises to 15, then goes down as the charge goes up, just like with an OBC. It works the same way a Powerwise charger works, only it's 48V and you have to bypass OBC to use it
Old 08-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but it really does not work at all like the OBC.

The OBC controls the charging current to provide the proper "Absorption" phase of the charging algorithm (constant voltage).

This is critical to properly charge the batteries.

Nivel is misleading and full of bad information.

Please look closely at the page where that item is listed and claims to work with carts that have an OBC, it says:
Can be used as timer replacements in all Ferro-resonant style chargers.
The Ferro-resonant chargers are the ones with the big capacitor inside that is connected to a separate secondary winding on the transformer and it creates a tuning circuit that reduces the output current as the battery voltage increases.

The Powerdrive power supplies do not have that capability.

That device should not be used with Powerdrive chargers.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car