lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
whistajd
Not Yet Wild

Default Tomberlin E Merge 500 LE only goes slow

I have a 2009 Tomberlin E Merge 500 LE and it has been fantastic until the batteries went bad, I think they were the original batteries. I changed out the batteries two weeks ago and went out for a test run. I was really excited to finally hit max speeds. It never ran over 21 and only last about a mile before it died. I charged the batteries and smelled rotten eggs. Took batteries back and they gave me new ones. I put new batteries in last night. Everything worked and again went for a test drive. It has a quick burst than slows to around 2 mph. The speedometer does not work now.

I realized last night, I feel pretty silly, that I only replaced 6 of the batteries not the two under the front seat. Changed the last two batteries this morning. I was so confident that would solve the problem. Went out for another test and same problem. Quick burst of speed than ramps down to 2-3 mph.

I started taking the cart apart to get to the control. There are no flashing codes coming from the controller. The solenoid pulls in. All fusses test out fine.

I keep reading speed sensor but have read articles suggesting its not that. I'm lost, so frustrated, and would appreciate any help.
whistajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Tomberlin E Merge 500 LE only goes slow

speedometer not working is your indicator- it is a bad speed sensor. Have seen it to many times to count when others have changed batteries in a tomberlin.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
whistajd
Not Yet Wild

Golf Cart Guy is it possible the speedometer isn't working due to it not going fast enough to register? I saw that in one of the threads last night.

If it is the speed sensor, is there anything I need to buy besides the speed senors? Rather get everything all at once.

Lastly, what causes the speed sensor to go out?
Old 10-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Never seen speedometer go bad yet. The speed sensor goes bad because for some reason tomberlins like to make them go bad on a battery change out. I always disconnect the speed sensor, put the batteries in, and then the last thing I do is hook the speed sensor back up.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
whistajd
Not Yet Wild

I wanted to give an update for anyone who may be searching for an answering to a similar problem. Golf Cart Guy was right on! Changing the speed sensor solved the problem.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
razor1
Gone Wild

Are you referring to the speed sensor in the pedal assembly or the one that attaches to the motor?
razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor1 View Post
Are you referring to the speed sensor in the pedal assembly or the one that attaches to the motor?

Hall Effect sensor is in the pedal group, speed sensor is on the end of the motor
Old 04-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
Mfielder
Not Yet Wild

How do you disconnect the speed sensor? I’m going to try and change my batteries
Mfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Just disconnect at the connector back by the motor
Old 05-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #10
Kennyg865
Not Yet Wild

Having similar issue. Wondering if anyone has answered this old post.
Kennyg865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin