lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Ryandhill
Not Yet Wild

Default Tomberlin Vanish Stutters

Hi,
I have a 2010 Vanish that has had a couple minor issues in the past. I am fairly electrical save but am missing schematics for this vanish or idea on the fix.
When the accelerator is pressed the cart sounds like it is grinding gears almost. However, having a bad battery previously made the same noise. I pulled 5 of the 8 this time and had them replaced. Changed out 2 of the battery cables.
The issue is still there.
I am reading 50. VDC from the lead + battery to the last battery in the loop.
I put the vehicle in neutral, its on jack stands still, and pressed the accelerator and it still barely moves. About the same speed no matter, high, medium or low electrical gear.

So first thought was check the fuses, they are all good.
Master fuse is good next to the motor controller.
I checked the motor controller and appear to be getting 25 VDC if I remember correct while the accelerator is pressed.
I know on the emerge series there is a fault light setup under the seat.. is there anything like that on the vanish.

The next step was to check the soilnoid beyond it just clicking and completing the circuit, which it is clicking. I took reading and saw the voltage drop while the accelerator was pressed.

I had a technician come out and say there is a speed controller more than likely in the motor he think it could be bad. How do I test this... I was unable to find a port for him to plug into.
Ryandhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
gaspipe
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Tomberlin Vanish Stutters

Hello Did you ever figure out what the issue with your Vanish was? I am having similar problems but have not been able to figure it out. Not much info available on troubleshooting. Thanks
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
pokesgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

What do your batteries read with a load on them?
pokesgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
gaspipe
Not Yet Wild

Wow I missed your post a long time ago. Still have same problem. Batteries drop down to 44 volts with cart jacked up and throttle applied. Noticed cable going to motor gets warm when running. All batteries read 6.2 volts after testing under load. Maybe controller or the motor is the problem? Not sure who can help troubleshoot.Please Help.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The Vanish had issues in the motor with the sensor bearing. If it isn't reading the speed correct, the unit goes into a creep mode.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to locate those even globally, but still actively searching.

I attached a 2012 vanish wiring diagram, which is fairly stable across the years.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vanish Wiring Diagram 2012, AE01-38A.pdf (459.7 KB, 0 views)
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
gaspipe
Not Yet Wild

Well if it is the Bearing and it becomes available,does the motor have to be pulled to replace? I guess without a replacement bearing I am not going to be able to use the cart.Is there an easy way to test to verify that its the bearing? Thanks for the fast reply.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
lyle.laird@live.com
Not Yet Wild

It is the motor speed sensor bearing which means taking the motor out, split the motor and replace the end sensor bearing. I had the same symptom and replacing the sensor bearing did the trick. It is not a difficult job and the sensor bearing is available
lyle.laird@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
chad.heldt@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Can you provide a link to the speed sensor bearing? I have a 2011 that has been this way for over 3 years and I have found no one who can fix it. Thanks!
chad.heldt@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:06 AM   #9
beynon
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

@lyle.laird@live.com - I could use that link to the speed sensor bearing. My 2010 Vanish just started doing the creep mode tonight. Ugh!

Anyone else know the part number or where to find one?

Thanks,
Mike.
beynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #10
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The original part number from Tomberlin for the Sensor Bearing is 4001699. With a list price from OEM of $805.50 I have never sold one yet. I'm know there is an another source for them and I'm still looking. I had my hands on one but can't find the photos I took of it.

Update. Found another source for about $300!
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin