lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Club Car Precedent Lithium Battery Upgrade

2006 Club Car Precedent
Lithium Battery Upgrade

I had upgraded the motor to the 5HP AMD 3294 motor and immediately got 24mph with the stock controller and speed code 4. I have since upgraded the controller to a 400A Curtis 1268-5417. It was a tight squeeze that required the replacement of the hex head bolts on the heat sink with countersunk versions. This would allow the controller to be placed so that the original center cover would fit. But my batteries were getting pretty weak. So, I was contemplating the change to six 8 volt batteries for more power. But I still had to deal with the lead acid batteries and their so-so performance. I found Hybrid Auto Center in Las Vegas with a lithium golf pack offered. The packs are Nissan Leaf. Here is a link to the ad.

http://www.hybridautocenter.com/HAC4...0ah&Itemid=605

What was obvious to me was that it would not fit in my cart with the configuration shown. After talking with Nick Tranikiev, I ended up purchasing a ‘kit’ consisting of the basic parts described, but had the lithium modules split into two packs, one with 6 cells and one with 8 cells. This would allow them to be placed in the tubs on either side of the motor control panel in the center. From that point on it was ‘home engineer and connect on your own’. They are very helpful in answering questions and giving advice about the cell connections and the BMS, but you must have a good knowledge of electrical wiring and schematics to tackle this on your own.
The packs came assembled like this: Just a steel plate on either end with threaded rod and nuts to assemble them. Obviously parts from a standard Nissan Leaf pack. See first picture:

What I did was create two side panels for each pack, 9 ½” High, 12” long with a ¾” flange break on the 12” side. This flange will be used to secure the pack in the tub of the cart. I then made two top plates, covers with a ¾” flange at each side. One was 10 3/8” x 12” and the other was 8” x 12” The side panels have been drilled to match the pack holes and the threaded rod and bolts reused. I have drilled and tapped the cover plate with a 10-32 tap and secured with (4) 10-32 x ½” screws. You can see the standard battery lift strap installed. I drilled holes thru the sides of the pack brackets at both ends to allow two straps be used to lift the pack (this pack about 70 lbs) The holes you see in the middle were abandoned. I was only going to use one lift point at beginning, but realized that I am also mounting components on these covers, so the middle might be a problem. See second picture.

The third picture is of the final product on the bench. You will notice the typical Precedent center controller cover in the picture. I kept it here during the assembly to allow me to make the correct length wiring harnesses. No more OBC, nothing there is needed any longer.

On the Six Pack side you will see that I mounted the charger on the side of the pack bracket. To do this, I drilled and countersunk holes from the inside (pack) side of the bracket and used flat head screws with nuts on the outside, leaving ‘studs’ to mount the charger on. Secure with nuts and lock washers.

Mounted on top is the Orion Jr. BMS (Battery Management System) Be sure to read the installation and wiring manual thoroughly before wiring. Because the wiring is delicate and needs to be completed and tested prior to placing in the cart, I chose to split the management harness when it passes between packs. This would allow me to install each pack in the cart separately and then plug them together. Mounted above the charger on another bracket is the shunt to measure current for the BMS. Further back are 4 relays. One for Charger Safety, One for Discharge Enable, One for my Accessories power supplies, the Ice Cube relay for the Charger Control and a terminal block.
On the 8 pack, I mounted the 48 to 12V converter for my USB charger outlet and future lights and a 48 to 24V converter for my overhead blower (A/C). They are both powered when the key switch is on and Acc relay picks up.
Prior to mounting in the cart, you will have to do some Dremmel work on the tub. The original tub has nubs that stick up in about 4-5 places on each side. I cut them flush with the Dremmel and 1 ½” cutting blade in about 20 minutes. You will then install two aluminum base plates 13 ½” x 14 ¾” I tech screwed them in 2 placed and thru bolted in one, your choice. Once you set the packs down on these base places you only need to install tech screws thru already drilled holes in the brackets and into the base plates.

The Driver side compartment with the 6 pack installed is fourth picture.
Passenger side installed is fifth picture.

Here is the best part about the packs, up to 10 years or more life, NO ACID. Pack voltage is right at 58V. But unlike lead acid batteries whose voltage drops considerably under heavy load, these do not. Typical lead acid cart at 50.9 volts will see battery voltage drop to 43-44 under full acceleration. With these it might drop to 56. Same motor and controller now runs 29mph. I am able to tune my controller with a Curtis 1313-4401 Programmer. It is amazing the incredible raw power with just the new packs.

Everyone who has driven it comes back yelling ‘Holy Sh--!!” Time for some new brakes I think, might go to disc, I need the stopping power. Anyone out there have a kit to put REAR disc brakes on a CC Precedent??
And I use it just for golf, and should never have a bad lie now either!!!!

Wiring diagrams the way I did this and a set of these brackets and more pictures can be provided if someone out there likes a home project challenge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 pack & 6 pack.JPG (406.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8 pack with Lift Strap.jpg (318.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Finished Lithium Pack & Controls.jpg (350.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Driver Side Compartment - 6 Cells & Charger.jpg (362.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger Side - 8 Cells & Accessory Power Supplies.jpg (304.0 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #2
sPiKe
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Precedent Lithium Battery Upgrade

WoW nice setup!
sPiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
2006 Club Car Precedent
Lithium Battery Upgrade

I had upgraded the motor to the 5HP AMD 3294 motor and immediately got 24mph with the stock controller and speed code 4. I have since upgraded the controller to a 400A Curtis 1268-5417. It was a tight squeeze that required the replacement of the hex head bolts on the heat sink with countersunk versions. This would allow the controller to be placed so that the original center cover would fit. But my batteries were getting pretty weak. So, I was contemplating the change to six 8 volt batteries for more power. But I still had to deal with the lead acid batteries and their so-so performance. I found Hybrid Auto Center in Las Vegas with a lithium golf pack offered. The packs are Nissan Leaf. Here is a link to the ad.

http://www.hybridautocenter.com/HAC4...0ah&Itemid=605

What was obvious to me was that it would not fit in my cart with the configuration shown. After talking with Nick Tranikiev, I ended up purchasing a ‘kit’ consisting of the basic parts described, but had the lithium modules split into two packs, one with 6 cells and one with 8 cells. This would allow them to be placed in the tubs on either side of the motor control panel in the center. From that point on it was ‘home engineer and connect on your own’. They are very helpful in answering questions and giving advice about the cell connections and the BMS, but you must have a good knowledge of electrical wiring and schematics to tackle this on your own.
The packs came assembled like this: Just a steel plate on either end with threaded rod and nuts to assemble them. Obviously parts from a standard Nissan Leaf pack. See first picture:

What I did was create two side panels for each pack, 9 ½” High, 12” long with a ¾” flange break on the 12” side. This flange will be used to secure the pack in the tub of the cart. I then made two top plates, covers with a ¾” flange at each side. One was 10 3/8” x 12” and the other was 8” x 12” The side panels have been drilled to match the pack holes and the threaded rod and bolts reused. I have drilled and tapped the cover plate with a 10-32 tap and secured with (4) 10-32 x ½” screws. You can see the standard battery lift strap installed. I drilled holes thru the sides of the pack brackets at both ends to allow two straps be used to lift the pack (this pack about 70 lbs) The holes you see in the middle were abandoned. I was only going to use one lift point at beginning, but realized that I am also mounting components on these covers, so the middle might be a problem. See second picture.

The third picture is of the final product on the bench. You will notice the typical Precedent center controller cover in the picture. I kept it here during the assembly to allow me to make the correct length wiring harnesses. No more OBC, nothing there is needed any longer.

On the Six Pack side you will see that I mounted the charger on the side of the pack bracket. To do this, I drilled and countersunk holes from the inside (pack) side of the bracket and used flat head screws with nuts on the outside, leaving ‘studs’ to mount the charger on. Secure with nuts and lock washers.

Mounted on top is the Orion Jr. BMS (Battery Management System) Be sure to read the installation and wiring manual thoroughly before wiring. Because the wiring is delicate and needs to be completed and tested prior to placing in the cart, I chose to split the management harness when it passes between packs. This would allow me to install each pack in the cart separately and then plug them together. Mounted above the charger on another bracket is the shunt to measure current for the BMS. Further back are 4 relays. One for Charger Safety, One for Discharge Enable, One for my Accessories power supplies, the Ice Cube relay for the Charger Control and a terminal block.
On the 8 pack, I mounted the 48 to 12V converter for my USB charger outlet and future lights and a 48 to 24V converter for my overhead blower (A/C). They are both powered when the key switch is on and Acc relay picks up.
Prior to mounting in the cart, you will have to do some Dremmel work on the tub. The original tub has nubs that stick up in about 4-5 places on each side. I cut them flush with the Dremmel and 1 ½” cutting blade in about 20 minutes. You will then install two aluminum base plates 13 ½” x 14 ¾” I tech screwed them in 2 placed and thru bolted in one, your choice. Once you set the packs down on these base places you only need to install tech screws thru already drilled holes in the brackets and into the base plates.

The Driver side compartment with the 6 pack installed is fourth picture.
Passenger side installed is fifth picture.

Here is the best part about the packs, up to 10 years or more life, NO ACID. Pack voltage is right at 58V. But unlike lead acid batteries whose voltage drops considerably under heavy load, these do not. Typical lead acid cart at 50.9 volts will see battery voltage drop to 43-44 under full acceleration. With these it might drop to 56. Same motor and controller now runs 29mph. I am able to tune my controller with a Curtis 1313-4401 Programmer. It is amazing the incredible raw power with just the new packs.

Everyone who has driven it comes back yelling ‘Holy Sh--!!” Time for some new brakes I think, might go to disc, I need the stopping power. Anyone out there have a kit to put REAR disc brakes on a CC Precedent??
And I use it just for golf, and should never have a bad lie now either!!!!

Wiring diagrams the way I did this and a set of these brackets and more pictures can be provided if someone out there likes a home project challenge.

Anyone out there have a kit to put REAR disc brakes on a CC Precedent??

Check Scotty's CartsUnlimited website under hi performance brakes

Nice setup
Lakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks, found them and placed an order for the rear disc brake kit.

Last edited by PingEye3; 11-02-2015 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
Tomster
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

WOW

3 grand, eh? I'm so tempted. When my 48v array is on the way out, I think this is the way I will go.

Someone might have asked, but what kind of range do you get out of this array? 15 miles or so leaves my batteries at around 49 volts. That's as low as I care to go to preserve the batteries longevity.

Thanks for sharing
Tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is not a straight answer to your question. But...By mounting the charger on the side of the pack and not having a lot of air flow with seat closed, the charger popped a fuse. I really didn't notice the pack not recharging until it had missed two days of charging, actually 3 days because I went ahead and played golf the day I noticed it hadn't come back up to 57.6 (after 2 rounds and a lot of speed runs the pack was in the mid 55 range).

Here is the best part, The pack voltage starts at 57.6V. Typical lead acid battery pack is 50.9V. So after three rounds of golf and about 10 or so friends taking quick speed runs in it for themselves; I finally put it back on the charger with a new fuse. By then the pack was down to ONLY 54.3V. I can take the pack down to about 40V safely. So I don't know how far yet, but a lot of the runs over those 3 days was wide open throttle with max amp draw. It sure is fun having all this power at hand.

So, now I'll charge it with the seat left open until I can install an exhaust fan for cooling. More on that later.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exhaust fan did the trick. No more heat build up while charging. I had an issue with my 400A Curtis 1268 Controller and pulled it out for a couple of days. It turned out to be OK. But in the interim, I had to reinstall a stock 250A 1510A Controller with Speed Code 3 (15-16mph). I figured it would be back to 15mph. But when I hit the accelerator it took off and reached 20mph in about 75-100yds.

Conclusion: The 57.3V battery pack is a tremendous upgrade in performance, even with stock controller. Anyone out there planning a Motor/Controller upgrade for speed & power, but also in the need for new batteries to help sustain the upgrade might consider just the Lithium packs first, then the motor & controller later. Getting rid of the acid, etc etc is soooo nice.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Do you know where they get the Leaf batteries? Are they used out of wrecked cars? New ones are hard to come by except for the ones that were recalled.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

So far I have been 4 rounds (days) and then back on charge. That's about 25 miles including all the other running around at the club each day. Voltage only drops to 52.3 after 4 rounds. I have a heavy foot as well. I expect I could get 50 miles easily.

To my knowledge the packs are used, but tested throughly. They are from Hybrid Auto Center in Las Vegas.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I am running a similar setup in my Yamaha cart. I calculate that I can get four rounds of golf including the ride to and from the club. Probably about 30 miles. I have been charging after two rounds since I don't want to run them down too low until I get a low voltage alarm / cutoff installed. I too got my Leaf modules from Hybrid Auto Center.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car