lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2008, 05:48 AM   #1
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

Default to gear or not to gear????

well i recently installed the 18 hp kit in my club car, i love the power it has, but i would like to have a little more top end out of it. it now runs around fourty but would like to see numbers in the 50mph range, maybe a little more. but i do alot of deep woods trail riding and dot wanna loose all the torque i have now. what ratios would you guys recommend and will there be a noticable difference???
johnusarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

Default Re: to gear or not to gear????

What size tires? If you have 22's that'd be fine but if you have 25's+ I wouldn't do it if you trail ride alot. I have 26" 589's with a 21 and it will do 45mph but thats about it. I wouldnt regear becasue of loss of low end. Im about perfect where Im at. Why in the hell do you need to go 50+mph on a golf cart?
4x4 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

well im running 26in blackwaters. i have the 18hp with the cam and rev kit.
i just wanted to have the edge over some trash talking polaris riders!!! haha
Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

I'm not sure about the gearing ratios on club cars but a change from (13 to 1) to (8 to 1) will get you around 6mph. There is also a point where your engine won't have enough power to pull the load if you go to far (with the gearing, including the big tires) Meaning you may hit your 50mph on the downhills and flat ground but going uphill you may actualy loose speed over what you have now. I doubt this gear change will effect your low end power much. Maybe Tom at CPP knows just how far you can go with it.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
todwil
TOD WILD

If you do thin head gaskets and the roller rockers with the gear change
your loss of bottom end will be less noticable...The rockers are pricey
but they look cool and really help not only do they have a roller tip they
raise the ratio giving you more valve lift!!!!

OH and WELCOME HOME SOLDIER glad to hear you are safe!!!
todwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

there is another member who wants to trade me a set of 8:1s our of his lifted, stock motored cart. wondering if i should. i can see what u mean ruredy, dont wanna loose the power. im thinking of seling my big block kit already, it has like 2hrs on it. but im looking at the modified 31 hp from alphacarts. 45 hp, with roller rockers and al kinds of goodies, that will satisfy my need for speed!! but it comes with a hefty cost!!
todwill where can i find those rockes u mentioned??
Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 AM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnusarmy View Post
there is another member who wants to trade me a set of 8:1s our of his lifted, stock motored cart. wondering if i should. i can see what u mean ruredy, dont wanna loose the power. im thinking of seling my big block kit already, it has like 2hrs on it. but im looking at the modified 31 hp from alphacarts. 45 hp, with roller rockers and al kinds of goodies, that will satisfy my need for speed!! but it comes with a hefty cost!!
You should trade, I think it would work good, I also think you'ld be at the limit of what the engine could pull after that. reguardless, if you end up going with one of Franks monster motors those gears will come in pretty handy
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
todwil
TOD WILD

Quote:

From Performance V-Twin in Monroe NC and the last time I ordered a
set of rockers they where $325.00 or so thats like $80.00 a piece(WOW)
but he's the only one I know of that sells them!!! The good news is if
you plan on going to the bigger block (31hp) the rockers fit that engine
also..
todwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:13 AM   #9
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

yeah i think i will trade, any little bit helps, and i think the 18 with the cam and rev kit pull plenty hard to keep it going at top speed. mabye i can find a few more hop up parts for my briggsa and see where it takes me. thing is that i want it to remain dependable and have it last. kinda hard to make all those wishes come true.. but we will see, im happy with it the way it is, just a little top end would be nice for cruising down the gravel roads back home.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
sundownshifter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
yeah i think i will trade, any little bit helps, and i think the 18 with the cam and rev kit pull plenty hard to keep it going at top speed. mabye i can find a few more hop up parts for my briggsa and see where it takes me. thing is that i want it to remain dependable and have it last. kinda hard to make all those wishes come true.. but we will see, im happy with it the way it is, just a little top end would be nice for cruising down the gravel roads back home.
Here is a guy who wants to trade his Franks big block for a smaller one, maybe you guys can wheel and deal
sundownshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts