lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
Champion
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2016 EZGO RXV or TXT?

Greetings from a Newb!

I started looking at golf carts this weekend for my family to tool around in. Mostly within our golf course community to go to the pools, but we’ll take it camping and to the beach a few times a year. My small children will also enjoy trips around the block, and I’ve convinced myself that it will be a better way to expose them to driving and they will be better drivers when it’s time than my 17 year old daughter that just learned in my truck at 15 is.

All that said about how we’ll use the cart, I am overwhelmed by the options and complexities involved in buying one. Who knew there were so many things to consider.

I’m looking at two 2016 carts, both lifted with new wheels and tires; seat upgrades; new single color paint. Both with new Trojan batteries. One is an RXV ($5,400), the other a TXT ($4,600 but I’ll need to add an extended roof so closer to $5,000 probably)

Everything I’ve read seems to boil down to:
  • RXVs are the higher quality model from EZGO, costing about $500 more base price
  • The RXV is faster and has more torque - won’t lose speed up hills as badly
  • The RXV has an automatic braking system, so you don’t actually use the brake to slow/stop the cart, just to set the parking brake
  • The RXV can be tuned electronically to dial it in and get more speed, but it seems that you need to know someone that has the know-how vs trusting a dealer or doing it yourself
  • The TXT has a standard actual brake and parking brake system that you actually use to slow/stop the cart AND to set the parking brake
  • The TXT can be made faster, but you spend $500+ on a new motor setup
  • The TXT is easier to tinker with if one is mechanically inclined (which luckily I am)

So, I’m looking to validate what I think I’ve learned and solicit opinions on which cart I should buy.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:32 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2016 EZGO RXV or TXT?

First, tire size? Second, how much beach sand (hard job) do you need/expect?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:33 AM   #3
cgtech

Yamaha

Wet beach sand is easier, dry "fluffy" sand is harder. Both carts in stock form, with big tires will be stressed
Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

I think neither will be ready in stock form to do what you want. Sand & oversize tires is a tough job.

Every stock cart out there would be short-life doing what you wish in "totally stock form".
Old 07-08-2019, 06:20 AM   #5
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The RXV is a better cart but, way more to it than a TXT. If something goes wrong with the cart it can be a pain to debug. I am currently working on an RXV hobby cart and it is driving me insane.

I have two TXTs and they are much easier to deal with overall. There are great AC motor options for TXTs out now and the FSIP DC torque motors are great alternative to an AC setup. But, as cgtech mentioned both the TXT and RXV will need changes to do what you want it to do.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
Champion
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Apologies... I wasn’t clear. When I said that we’d take it to the beach, I meant that we’d take it down to Myrtle, Daytona, Charleston to drive around and to the beach. I didn’t mean that we’d actually drive it in the sand. I didn’t think that was an option... part of my learning experience I guess.

To be clearer, we’ll put four people on it to drive to the neighborhood pools; drive it around our neighborhood that has some modest hills (that I have to downshift my mountain bike on but can always peddle up); and when we take it to the beach we’ll drive it from the beach house down to the beach access and walk (I’ve never seen carts on the beach in Myrtle or Daytona).

That said, what I think I’m picking up on is that it might be smart to get a TXT model 4-6” lift with 14” wheels and 23” tires; then upgrade the motor, controller and wiring from somewhere like Plum Quick or something OR buy the RXV and live with whatever a tune will give me?
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

How much lift and how big are the tires on the RXV? For hauling family around I personally would prefer the RXV having had both a DC cart (Yamaha) and an RXV. But the size of tire/lift may impact the RXV's performance more than the TXT. So, that matters.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Greetings from a Newb!

I started looking at golf carts this weekend for my family to tool around in. Mostly within our golf course community to go to the pools, but we’ll take it camping and to the beach a few times a year. My small children will also enjoy trips around the block, and I’ve convinced myself that it will be a better way to expose them to driving and they will be better drivers when it’s time than my 17 year old daughter that just learned in my truck at 15 is.

All that said about how we’ll use the cart, I am overwhelmed by the options and complexities involved in buying one. Who knew there were so many things to consider.

I’m looking at two 2016 carts, both lifted with new wheels and tires; seat upgrades; new single color paint. Both with new Trojan batteries. One is an RXV ($5,400), the other a TXT ($4,600 but I’ll need to add an extended roof so closer to $5,000 probably)

• RXVs are the higher quality model from EZGO, costing about $500 more base price
  • The RXV has an automatic braking system, so you don’t actually use the brake to slow/stop the cart, just to set the parking brake
  • The RXV can be tuned electronically to dial it in and get more speed, but it seems that you need to know someone that has the know-how vs trusting a dealer or doing it yourself
  • The TXT has a standard actual brake and parking brake system that you actually use to slow/stop the cart AND to set the parking brake
  • The TXT is easier to tinker with if one is mechanically inclined (which luckily I am)

So, I’m looking to validate what I think I’ve learned and solicit opinions on which cart I should buy.

Not exactly true. The parking brake is automatic so you don't actually "set" it.

I have both of these carts tho neither is lifted. The RXV drives like an EV, mostly one pedal, while the TXT is more like a conventional (ICE) auto. Comparing them completely stock, they will be equal in top speed assuming the same dealer level controller program, usually called "freedom mode". The RXV is far superior on inclines and when carrying extra weight so if driving each side by side as soon as you start up a hill the RXV will pull away and the difference will be noticeable and as the hill gets steeper--jaw dropping.

As pointed out already, both should be modified if lifting and large tires.

All the RXV needs is the optional Curtis controller. With the same dealer level "freedom" unlock the cart will be in the mid to high twenties speed because of the bigger tires.

The TXT will also need a different controller. Alltrax is a frequent choice. 500 amp model would be a good suggestion. No dealer programing is necessary because you can do it yourself with a PC, printer cable and free software.
The weak link in this cart now becomes the motor, performance wise, but the stock one may be good enough for you and should still be reliable.

Both carts should have upgraded cables, most would suggest 2 gage.

There is more performance and drivability available in the stock or 350 amp Curtis controller in the RXV. There is only one person I'm aware of that can do it. I can't speak for him but depending on where you are, one possibility is he could come do it personally or you could mail it to him. I've had it done to my RXV and the result is awesome. But it is appropriate for the environment I'm in and may not be for you. Do you want a 30-40 mph golf cart with kids?

I believe you are correct in assuming kids driving the cart will ease the transition to road cars. I have twin daughters and they were legally allowed to drive the cart when 12 years old (supervised). When they came of age the only issue was the change in speed and the size of a road car. Easy peezy compared to their older siblings.

One last thing. Lifted carts are less stable, especially at speed. Just a word of caution.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Greetings from a Newb!

I've had both. The RXV is superior in that it will deliver torque to keep your cart moving without slowing. If you wish to tinker with the native electronics and wiring you've got the wrong cart. The only thing you can really do to the RXV is get larger wheels (recommended max total diameter @21 inches), lift it, and add electric accessories via a separate voltage reducer/fuse box. All easy to do. If you want it to go faster and especially use larger wheels, the stock controller will need reprogramming that is done by Bob Boyce, either in person or via mail. Your stock batteries and cables will work just fine. If you wish to drive your family around various types of terrain, the RXV AC motor will do it all and never complain. TXT DC motors will complain up hill.

Caution: these carts have a narrow base and are not designed to go 25 mph, especially with a lift kit. I took my kit off to keep it stable.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Max tire size is 20.5" for the stock controller, especially if you're hauling a family around and have hills. No lift kit is required for those tires, but you might want a dual rate set of rear springs if you intend to carry a lot of passenger weight. I do recommend 2 AWG battery cables to make the power system more efficient. Less voltage drop in the cables means more power to get you down the road vs power wasted heating battery cables.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO