lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2019, 05:58 AM   #1
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Motor slow turning over

I have a 2013 ish EZGO with the Kawasaki motor. Motor does not turn over fast enough to start. The ground wire and the wire from the solenoid get hot when trying to start. Solenoid checks out ok but has voltage on both sides but works fine if you unhook the wire going to the starter/generator. The s/g was recently replaced and worked fine for a brief period. It was taken to a shop who said the brushes were in backward (?). I'm leaning toward the s/g having a short. Anybody else have any ideas/ PS the battery voltage drops to 9.6 volts when trying to start and the (new) battery tests out good.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Motor slow turning over

Is it an OEM starter/generator or an aftermarket?

Aftermarket S/G are very poor quality and fail quickly after replacement. Do you still have the original OEM part? Usually they just need a new set of brushes ($30) and are good to go
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Is it an OEM starter/generator or an aftermarket?

Aftermarket S/G are very poor quality and fail quickly after replacement. Do you still have the original OEM part? Usually they just need a new set of brushes ($30) and are good to go
Different S/G on these than those with the Robbins. Lots of problems before I left at the golf course on these.
We were told to replace the solenoid and S/G end plate with new brushes. I have also read where you can install a smaller pulley on those. EZGO didn't get these things quite right back then. I think maybe if EZGO would install a Automatic Compression Release then the issue would go away but what do I know.

I never seen the ground issues on these we had on the Robbins but like cart around said it does have high resistance somewhere.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Does it with the spark plug out also. Not my cart but it appears to be an after market item.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

What is the name on the starter ?
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

No name except for Dynamo Generator Motor on the scan tag.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Different S/G on these than those with the Robbins. Lots of problems before I left at the golf course on these.
We were told to replace the solenoid and S/G end plate with new brushes. I have also read where you can install a smaller pulley on those. EZGO didn't get these things quite right back then. I think maybe if EZGO would install a Automatic Compression Release then the issue would go away but what do I know.

I never seen the ground issues on these we had on the Robbins but like cart around said it does have high resistance somewhere.
I dont know why ezgo and club car didnt go with the ACR camshaft. Would be so much easier to start. Look through the ckub car forum the amount if members whose carts they have to hold the gas pedal for 5 seconds or so to start it when the engine stops on the compression stroke, because the S/G has a hard time overcoming it. I've always wondered if the ACR camshaft would be compatible
Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well I got the s/g in today. Put it on and the same thing is happening. The motor will barely turn over. It did spin the motor with the sparkplug out but then smoke started coming out of the brush end of the s/g. The ground wire going to the battery jumps everytime I try to start it. I thought I was getting a better one but, it turned out to be another Dynamo. Now I don't know what to do. Any suggestions from anybody?
Old 06-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Hot wires means high resistance somewhere. It's dragging the battery down to look like a failed load test.
Try bypassing the positive battery cable to the solenoid. It could have hidden corrosion in there.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The dynamo starter/generators suck. Most dont even last a month before they either short out or eat themselves and create a huge mess internally. Very common aftermarket replacements on the club cars who has used Kawasaki motors pretty much forever...

Get an OEM one and you'll be good for a very long time to come.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO