lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #21
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DIY - 4 x 12v to 6 x 8V Conversion (Part 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine_Rescue_Pilot View Post
Age is a factor, for sure, but not the only factor. A previous owner can improperly use and maintain a 2-year old set of batteries and render them all but useless in that amount of time. Especially by continually taking them to 80% or more depth of discharge.

I agree with erict, you should definitely get more than 18 holes on even a decent set of 12v's... unless your course is on the side of the Alps, I suppose.
I would have to agree discharging them 80% of a state of charge is the call of death for any battery...
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #22
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Well, just got back from vacation, and installed my new motor, controller and batteries. Everything looks like it went in well, everything works.

Not sure about the old bats but they were junk, and I am sure the new system will be much better. Thanks for posting this Canine Pilot, it is an awsome upgrade.

I still think my way for the battery hold downs is easier than torching and bending, just flatten with a sledge and shove them up from underneath.

Anyway, thanks again!
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #23
atcref
Not Yet Wild

I did the conversion, (thanks Canine) absolutely no problems, until a friend that was helping fried my lights and horn. Somehow it did not blow the fuse. My question, am I going to have to get new light kits and horn.? The front bulbs exploded, pretty sure he hooked them up to 48 volts without a converter, the rear lights are led....any ideas?
atcref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

Wink Re: DIY - 4 x 12v to 6 x 8V Conversion (Part 1)

Wow, that sucks that he did that to you.
First thing is first... make sure your 12V system is correctly wired to 12V or a 12V converter.

The light "shells" are still good (light bar in front). So just replace those bulbs and you're good to go.

The rear LED lights may or may not have survived. Take each assembly out of the cart (they are simple to remove). And connect it directly to a 12V battery to see if it survived. If it lights, you're good. If not... just replace the whole tail light(s) assembly. They are inexpensive enough, and you probably won't find the replacement LEDs as easily as you can just replace the whole light.

The horn is a similar story. Pull it out (or leave it in, depends on how much access you have to the connector). Hook up 12V to it directly and see if it still works. If it does, good. If not... well, you get the picture. If it works outside of the cart, but won't work when connected to the cart... then you also fried the horn relay. It is located behind the dash panel that holds the key switch.

Now there are some other problems to consider. If he connected your 12V system across the 48V pack, there are also flashers and a brake light "time-out" timer that could have been damaged. I would replace your front bulbs, and be sure your tail/brake lights work (after repair or replace)... return them to the cart.

I assume you have a Club Car Precedent... When installed back in the cart, If the tail lights work, but the brake lights do not, you probably fried the timer. This is located under the floor board, roughly behind the pedal box. You'll probably need to replace that.

If your front lights work, but the turn signals no longer flash... your flasher is probably fried too. That is located behind the dash panel that also holds the key switch.

It's no surprise you didn't blow a fuse. Fuses protect against over-current... not over voltage. I'm sorry your friend made it more difficult for you. The good news is that the most expensive item: the light bar, is the one item that won't be seriously damaged. You'll just need new bulbs. I'm glad you didn't have a stereo in there!

Your friend owes you several beers. I recommend Cigar City Pumpkin, or even better... Cigar City Jai Alai.
Canine_Rescue_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
techraid99
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your post regarding the conversion to 6 x 8V batteries. I have completed the conversion without a hitch and it looks great. My question is in regard to the charging. I have a 2007 CC Precedent. I did not change out my OBC and I have a Powerdrive 2 charger. I put it on the charger all night and when I checked it in the morning it was still charging at 5 amps and it did not shut off even though my voltages across the board read full. 51 volts for all/ 8.4 per. I have not modified to high speed so the regen is still active. Is this my problem? If I modify to high speed will the charger shut off "normally"? I am worried about burning up brand new batteries.
techraid99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #26
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Just let them charge you do not have a problem. The first couple uses just dont over use the cart and drain emdown too much, more like a light use and then a shallow charge to bring them up to full.

Your obc will probably be just fine, I have had no problems.

Also, my bats read 68 volts toward end of charge with charger attached and running. After being off the charge awhile my pack drops to 51.9 which is normal.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #27
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

Techraid... Speedchaser is right. Just let it complete it's full charge.
Your OBC is fine, and does not need to be changed for this at all. (read original story).

That high-voltage/low current float at the end of every charge is intentional. This is where the charger is tapering with a slightly higher voltage to prevent battery stratification. Always let it fully complete every charge cycle.
Canine_Rescue_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #28
phil23ms
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: DIY - 4 x 12v to 6 x 8V Conversion (Part 1)

I just bought an 05 CC Prescedent and have several "upgrades" planned. this is my first regen cart so I do not know the ins and outs of the regen feature. I plan on installing a larger motor and controller for increased torque, any increased speed is nice just not the goal so I do not intend on disabling the regen feature...so my question is what is the definition of "disabling the Regen feature" and how is that done.
I guess i am testing the waters to see if this modification to the 6 batteries in some way increases the difficulty of installing the larger motor and controller by not disabling/or disabling the regen feature.
phil23ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #29
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil23ms View Post
I just bought an 05 CC Prescedent and have several "upgrades" planned. this is my first regen cart so I do not know the ins and outs of the regen feature. I plan on installing a larger motor and controller for increased torque, any increased speed is nice just not the goal so I do not intend on disabling the regen feature...so my question is what is the definition of "disabling the Regen feature" and how is that done.
I guess i am testing the waters to see if this modification to the 6 batteries in some way increases the difficulty of installing the larger motor and controller by not disabling/or disabling the regen feature.
This mod has nothing to do with regen and will not effect it whatsoever, and will not change anything to the cart function whatsoever except a better battery pack.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have the speedylink installed on my cart ('04 Precedent). Will I be ok with doing this conversion or will I run into any issues with anything as far as the OBC goes?
Thanks!
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car