lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2022, 08:35 PM   #1
cajun000
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Weird steps to no go

Got up this morning - turned on key - heard louder than normal click from solenoid - put in reverse - pressed pedal all the way down - no movement - pressed again - cart responded - put in forward and drove to the golf course - turned key off. Came back out of the pro shop - turn on key - heard loud click from solenoid - put in forward - pressed pedal all the way down - no movement - repeatedly pressing the pedal with no response - towed back home. My cart has a Roypow lithium 51V 105aH battery currently showing reading of 53.25V, Alltrax XCT 48-400 controller and a MZJ-400 solenoid. Has worded excellent for the past year. I checked the Alltrax controller light codes for error issues: Turned on key - 5 green light flashes - then 1 green constant light - pressed the pedal and kept flashing red blinking light until I released the pedal - pressed the pedal again and continuing red blinking light until I release - one green light reappears. Does anyone have an additional test that I might try. Thanks in advance to any feedback.
cajun000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2022, 09:44 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Weird steps to no go

Hook up your laptop to the ALltrax and run their monitor software. IT will tell you what the fault codes are.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:25 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 5 green flashes are throttle codes indicating Club Car G19 or G22. Then the solid green means the controller is ready to run. What is your model number? That throttle code is for 95 to 98 Club Cars.

If this is the correct throttle setting for your cart, everything is fine up to this point.

The blinking red light when the pedal is pushed indicate throttle failure. Depending on what type throttle you have, there is something wrong with it. If an MCOR4, probably the switch inside is not closing.

As far as the solenoid clicking, this should not occur when you turn the key on. It should click when you push the pedal. Maybe the switch is stuck closed. I could be wrong depending on your cart model.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
cajun000
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My cart model: 2017 Onward Club Car with motor (EJ8-4001A). Ran great this past year and this is the first issue.

I tried to power up my laptop connected to the controller and no controller info comes up on the display. Thought the controller might need power so I tried turning on the key to power up controller and still no controller info on the Alltrax Toolbox display screen. What do I do?
Old 05-15-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like maybe you have a bad USB cable. The controller should show up in the Toolbox even without the cart powered. It will get powered by USB. You need the cart powered to see any of the interesting stuff though. Try another USB cable / port on your laptop.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
cajun000
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The cable was not bad, but after restarting my computer it recognized the Alltrax and now has the display. Looking at the error codes and I see no flags clicked on. What is the next step?
Old 05-15-2022, 12:41 PM   #7
cajun000
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Was still not happy with the loud solenoid - checked monitor for accurate forward and reverse - good. Throttle working from 0 to 100%.

I elevated the rear of the cart. Checked voltage to motor with key off and on. Was good. Tested the continuity across the solenoid good, but turned the key off again and back on - no sound from the solenoid and no continuity across the big terminals. Check power to the motor and no volage with key on. Do you think there are any other potenial problems outside of the solenoid? What can I check now?
Old 05-15-2022, 02:22 PM   #8
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

The microswitch inside your throttle is most likely the problem.

Check for 48v at controller terminal #6 while you press the pedal with the plug disconnected.

Also check for 48v at terminal #10 to check the keyswitch output. Put negative lead on pack negative, the positive on 6 or 10.

Check for a loose coil wire ( small wires) on the solenoid.

Is there a chance the solenoid terminals twisted slightly when installing it? It is critical the large terminals do not turn at all.

As I said before, the solenoid should not energize when you turn the key switch on. Only when you push the go pedal.

As far as the monitor, you should only see "key switch on" when the key switch is on. No other flags. The "footswitch on" flag should indicate only when the go pedal is pushed.
Old 05-15-2022, 09:39 PM   #9
cajun000
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Before I perform your recommended testing, would I need to purchase a new solenoid or not yet and when. If I do need to purchase a new solenoid, which one would you recommend? Thanks for all the help - I need it.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:24 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun000 View Post
Before I perform your recommended testing, would I need to purchase a new solenoid or not yet and when. If I do need to purchase a new solenoid, which one would you recommend? Thanks for all the help - I need it.
Do the solenoid tests first before you buy one. There is always a chance there is something else going on. I still suspect the MCOR microswitch, since you had a blinking red light when you pushed the pedal.

The solenoid model you have is a good reliable one.

Hopefully someone else will jump in here with further recommendations for the 2017 Onward. I know nothing about them other than basic checks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car