lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2022, 08:31 PM   #1
Alyle
Not Yet Wild

Default 30 psi compression on hot pink G1

Found a Yamaha G1 in good condition cosmetically (hot pink) but not running. Was told by the previous owner who also bought it not running for his elderly father that the previous owner stated that it was an issue with the fuel lines. After replacing everything fuel related (flushed tank, replaced fuel lines, new fuel filter, cleaned carb and fuel pump) and getting a new battery it still wouldn't run. I realized then that I should have probably started with a compression test. Running the test I got 30psi..... I was less than pleased. I've seen people posting about low compression but never anything this low.
Since I'm new to this and this is my first golf cart project I'm wondering how bad 30psi is. I assume I'll have to rebuild the top end but with numbers that low I'm wondering what else could possibly be wrong. I got it for a good deal and would have no issues either parting it out or selling it just to break even. I just don't want to rebuild the top end only to find that there are more issues and get in over my head on this cart. Curious what everyone's thoughts are.

From what I can tell, without being able to find any serial numbers and solely based off the carb boot that says "J24", it's an '83+.

Pictures just to show how pretty in pink she looks. (if I keep it I will definitely be giving it a paint job 😂)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220506_120655.jpg (226.1 KB, 0 views)
Alyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #2
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 30 psi compression on hot pink G1

Paint it first, then recheck compression...lol.
Yes 30 psi is the lowest I've ever heard of. Probably should verify your compression tester on a known good vehicle. Ask me how I know this...
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:18 AM   #3
Alyle
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
Paint it first, then recheck compression...lol.
Yes 30 psi is the lowest I've ever heard of. Probably should verify your compression tester on a known good vehicle. Ask me how I know this...
😂🤣😂🤣 Will do. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And make sure you’re holding the throttle all the way open by hand. Sometimes the pedal doesn’t cut it.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #5
Alyle
Not Yet Wild

Well I think I found the problem..... Piston is all sorts of jacked up as well as the cylinder. Now to find the parts to patch her back up. Any leads would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220514_001328135.MP.jpg (98.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220514_001312261.MP.jpg (80.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220514_001305145.MP.jpg (78.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220514_001259267.MP.jpg (83.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220513_184807218.MP.jpg (158.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-13-2022, 07:52 PM   #6
Alyle
Not Yet Wild

Will call Pullmans. Hopefully he has what I need.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:56 PM   #7
raiyni
Not Yet Wild

What does the block look like? You might need a full top end rebuild. Check the crank seals too, those are consistent problems on old carts.
raiyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:57 PM   #8
Alyle
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiyni View Post
What does the block look like? You might need a full top end rebuild. Check the crank seals too, those are consistent problems on old carts.
The cylinder looks good upon initial look but I haven't cleaned it up yet. I'm thinking I'll need a full top end..... new piston, rings and cylinder.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:16 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Pull the cylinder and make sure you don’t have any play on the big end of the rod where it attaches to the crank. If you do, you’ll need to do a complete rebuild. If it’s tight you might be able to get away with cylinder, piston, rings. Not sure if these have the needle bearing on the wrist pin like most 2 strokes, but if so don’t forget that.

I’m gonna say the entire top end is trashed by the looks of that piston.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:09 PM   #10
Alyle
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Pull the cylinder and make sure you don’t have any play on the big end of the rod where it attaches to the crank. If you do, you’ll need to do a complete rebuild. If it’s tight you might be able to get away with cylinder, piston, rings. Not sure if these have the needle bearing on the wrist pin like most 2 strokes, but if so don’t forget that.

I’m gonna say the entire top end is trashed by the looks of that piston.
Rod feels solid. No play at the crank. Yeah this had a needle bearing. It took some "persuasion" to get the piston off. Still cannot get the wrist pin out of the piston but haven't tried since that'll just get nailed to the wall of shame that I'm going to start.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha