lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2022, 10:06 AM   #1
mschwing82
Not Yet Wild

Default RowPow 105P in 98DS

Thought I would share my install of the RowPow S51105P in my 98 Club Car DS. Here's a little back story to what got me here.

I bought the cart in March 22 and I figured I was going to need to replace the batteries in the near future but wasn't planning on the snow ball this turned into. On our first camping trip my kids were complaining about how slow it was so I started looking how to make it faster and that's when I found this site. I talked to @ScottyB and ordered the Alltrax 48400 and new solenoid. I also ordered a 6" lift kit and 23" tires.

I installed everything, putted around the yard a little bit and was pretty happy with the new speed the cart felt it had. Kids would take it out almost every day for a little bit and we plugged it in every night. One night hanging out a friend drove it and said that it felt that it was slipping and my kids said yeah it does that sometimes (the first I heard about it) it was in my back yard on the dirt so I just thought it was that. The next weekend I went to load it on the trailer and I felt the slipping/surging they were talking about.

I jumped on this forum and started searching everything I could about the problems I was having. Most everything I read pointed to bad batteries. I ordered some alligator clips for my DMM so I could do the load test and after testing the batteries found 3 of them dropping below 6V when flooring the throttle (I have (6) 8V batteries). Time for new batteries.

I started researching batteries and was going back and forth between lead acid and lithium. I decided to take the hit now and go lithium but which one. I liked that Eco Battery was a site sponsor and @ScottyB became a dealer but they weren't going to be available until June. Some more searching and seeing what was available I decided on the RowPow 105P.

To get it mounted I just copied what other people have done to mount theirs and similar sized batteries. Made a frame and mounting points to bolt it in the center. The "P" series comes with some sort of regen capacitor so I made brackets under the back of the battery bracket to bolt that to and also made a mount for the solenoid and main fuse to bolt too. I wanted all the electronics on the passenger side so I would have the drivers side open for storage (still need to make a storage compartment on the drivers side). Bypassed and removed the OBC and added a 30 amp voltage reducer and fuse block.

I am very happy with the results. It has way more get up and go (granted my batteries were toast). I haven't done any mileage or speed test's yet.

Anyways thanks for reading and here's some photos.

mschwing82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2022, 10:14 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: RowPow 105P in 98DS

Nice, I'm sure you will enjoy it! Looks like a clean install. NO MORE watering!
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:34 PM   #3
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Glad to see this :) I'm waiting for my RoyPow S51105 to arrive, although mine is just a bit smaller...

S51105 18.11 x 13.15 x 9.13

S51105P 22.25 x 13.00 x 10.04 IN

Wondering if there is enough room to put it in 90 degrees from how you did it ?

Your DS frame looks the same as my 94 ?

Was it necessary to take the body off or you figured it would just be easier to work around it ?
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
mschwing82
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00 View Post
Glad to see this :) I'm waiting for my RoyPow S51105 to arrive, although mine is just a bit smaller...

S51105 18.11 x 13.15 x 9.13

S51105P 22.25 x 13.00 x 10.04 IN

Wondering if there is enough room to put it in 90 degrees from how you did it ?

Your DS frame looks the same as my 94 ?

Was it necessary to take the body off or you figured it would just be easier to work around it ?
There wasn't enough room from the top of the frame rails to the bottom of the seat to fit it sideways.

It was way easier with the body off plus I had a lot of corrosion from the old batteries that I wanted to clean
mschwing82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:08 PM   #5
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Very nice!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:28 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks great! You're making me jealous...
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:54 AM   #7
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwing82 View Post
There wasn't enough room from the top of the frame rails to the bottom of the seat to fit it sideways.

It was way easier with the body off plus I had a lot of corrosion from the old batteries that I wanted to clean
Gotcha... Was hoping to escape the extra work of taking the body off, but can probably do a cleaner install with it removed :)
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
UpstateNYDS
Getting Wild

Club Car

Looks good you will enjoy the extended range, no watering, no corrosion.
UpstateNYDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car