lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2022, 09:20 AM   #1
Bob Sklebitch
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 - runs good initially, slowly gets worse

First post. I've tried to find a solution to my problem here but no luck.

I have early to mid 80's G1. All stock. Been messed with only when necessary over the years.

As the title says, when I first start it up it runs strong, usually for about 5 holes or so or a half hour. Then it becomes increasingly difficult to start. When the throttle pedal is pushed it will idle but not kick in the clutch. Sometimes pumping the pedal helps and it will eventually take off. Other times it needs to sit for a minute or two. The problem seems to get progressively worse the longer it is run.

It smelled like it was flooding so I took the carb off and tore it down and cleaned it up. Everything looked pretty good. I also adjusted the float a little. This seemed to maybe help marginally but the problem is still there.

Any assistance would be much appreciated thanks.
Bob Sklebitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 - runs good initially, slowly gets worse

these carts dont idle so its just the starter turning the motor over.
next time it happens have a spark tester handy to check for spark, if thats ok pull the fuel line off going to the carb and check for a steady fuel stream when cranking over. pull the cap off the fuel tank and listen for a whoose sound that would indicate the tank vent isnt working.

have you need to use the choke alot more lately? if so this would indicate crank seals.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:25 AM   #3
Bob Sklebitch
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
these carts dont idle so its just the starter turning the motor over.
next time it happens have a spark tester handy to check for spark, if thats ok pull the fuel line off going to the carb and check for a steady fuel stream when cranking over. pull the cap off the fuel tank and listen for a whoose sound that would indicate the tank vent isnt working.

have you need to use the choke alot more lately? if so this would indicate crank seals.
Thanks for the tips Mike. I will try those things next time I am out. I guess the part that confuses me is the delayed nature of the problem, as in how it starts out running fine and gets progressively worse. Would that be related to the crank seals? I haven't noticed having to use the choke any more than usual.
Bob Sklebitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
Richard Sacher
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sklebitch View Post
Thanks for the tips Mike. I will try those things next time I am out. I guess the part that confuses me is the delayed nature of the problem, as in how it starts out running fine and gets progressively worse. Would that be related to the crank seals? I haven't noticed having to use the choke any more than usual.
As the engine heats up and or runs for a period of time, a vacuum on the tank because not venting can be a problem. Also a hot coil can also be a problem electrical parts as they age can become a problem. Crank seals would cause the engine to shut down at high speed, if the cart runs fast for a long period of time crank seals are not a problem. Make sure your idle screw is set at one turn out and it may need to be a 16th of a turn out or in, remove the black and white wire on the right fender and set the engine up to idle without the drive belt, turn off the engine with the key and then restart do this cold and engine hot. Then you should be off, unless you still have other problems.
Richard Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Similar to what the last guy said, doing just a bit quick troubleshooting when the cart is in "fail mode" is critical. If you don't already have one, grab an inline spark detector from Harbor Freight or Amazon and put it in your cart. When you cart fails to start throw the spark tester on and see if you have spark. If so then you know that your cart's ignition system is ok and your issue is with the seals or something. If no spark then you know your problem is with the ignition.

Like Richard said before me, worn ignition parts will fail when they get hot. Finding our whether your cart's issue is ignition or not is a key first step.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha