lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2022, 05:17 PM   #1
wickchucked
Not Yet Wild

Smile Big battery meter blinking red when accelerating

Hello all. I started a conversion a few months back on a 1988 club car ds. I stripped it to the frame and ordered the IQ conversion kit from Scotty B. I purchased 3 of the big battery eagle 48 volt batteries. I just got the correct charger from big battery and got the cart fully charged and took it for a drive. When I accelerate the battery meter I got from big battery with the kit drains down to nothing then starts blinking red until I let off the gas. When it's blinking it doesn't seem like it's getting the full power either. Anyone else experience anything like this or have any suggestions for me to try. The cart does get up to about 24-25 but it just seems like the power is hit or miss.
wickchucked is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2022, 05:20 AM   #2
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Big battery meter blinking red when accelerating

Best bet would be to contact BigBattery and see what they have to say about it.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:41 AM   #3
wickchucked
Not Yet Wild

Yep I had planned on doing that as well, just haven't had the best luck with their support thus far, so was reaching out to see if anyone else has seen anything like this prior.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #4
wickchucked
Not Yet Wild

Went for a drive tonight and got about 15 miles in and battery pack is saying 55% on the renogy meter. Was trying to break in the Admiral A2 motor, so whenever I could I had the pedal to the floor going about 23-24. The battery meter from big battery kept going down then blinking red when I had the pedal down, but then came back to 3-4 bars after that. Will see what big battery says about it.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
wickchucked
Not Yet Wild

Spoke with big battery. They said its normal for the battery meter to blink red under full load just shows that the battery is draining. Guess I'll just unplug that one and rely on the renogy meter from now on.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

How low is the voltage dropping when it’s blinking? And what kind of current draw are you seeing on the renogy meter?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:53 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I also wonder if the big battery meter is anything like the allied meter… pretty much worthless and only gives you “state of charge estimations” after you park the cart for 30 minutes.

My allied meter is still in my glove box but I haven’t looked at it in 6 months but it behaves much the same way. The renogy is much better
Old 05-03-2022, 05:53 PM   #8
wickchucked
Not Yet Wild

With the pedal down and speed turned all the way up going roughly 24mph here are the numbers.

Battery Charge: 44%
AH: 40 ah (90 ah total with the 3 eagles)
Voltage: 47.5 V
Draw: -116A
Power: 5.5 KW

Resting voltage afterwards: 52 V
AH afterwards: 35 ah
Old 05-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

47.5v does seem a little low, but if you were starting with only 44% SOC then that’s probably fine too. Sounds to me like the meter just is only used for resting voltage to determine “state of charge” like my allied meter is.

I’d ditch it and just stick with the renogy. It provides way more information anyway and being that it’s a shunt meter, every bit of current passes through that shunt and is read by the meter. It’ll provide much better information
Old 05-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #10
wickchucked
Not Yet Wild

Yep I just unhooked it since I already made a hole in the dash .

When charging does/is the renogy supposed to show the charge going back in to the battery? Mines just sitting at 30% but the voltage is going up from where it was so. I have it in tow mode and the key off.

Tags
big battery, club car ds, iq conversion kit
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car