lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing
Hunting and Fishing Post all your hunting and fishing experiences here.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
thatldopig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default late summer fishing story Lake Oconee

So as fall is in the air, this was a hot summer on lake Oconee story. We were fishing early morning on ultralight tackle with 1/32 ounce rubber jigs catching a few tiny bluegill and landed this 1+ pound behemoth. As my daughter was reeling it in I laid on the dock to lip what I assumed was a small bass and this sure was a surprise.

Oh and, what is it? A "shellcracker?" If so, I have no idea what a shell cracker is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 249C5317-797D-4749-9FAA-54710D10FF4A.jpg (107.1 KB, 0 views)
thatldopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
cbdeese61
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: late summer fishing story Lake Oconee

looks like a speckled perch to me......some call them crappie.....we just call them specks.
cbdeese61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
thatldopig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdeese61 View Post
looks like a speckled perch to me......some call them crappie.....we just call them specks.
I do catch a ton of crappie here. Those earflaps make me think not crappie. Here's a typical crappie here: The nose is also different. I don't know the freshwater use of 'speck' - never heard that outside of saltwater speckled trout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1858.jpg (398.5 KB, 0 views)
thatldopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is a Shelly and a nice one at that. Usually where this is one, there are more.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:38 AM   #5
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I put all of that species in the bream category. That one I call a tity bream. Its so big you have to hold between your hand and tity to get the hook out.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:59 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanmike View Post
I put all of that species in the bream category. That one I call a tity bream. Its so big you have to hold between your hand and tity to get the hook out.
You are probably right. Between here (central VA) the Northern Neck of VA, VA Beach, and into NC the same fish is known by at least 5 names including Trout which I know (i think LOL) is wrong. IDK. Who is wrong? LOL.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That one is probably a shellcracker. Kinda hard to tell in photos sometimes.
Doesn’t matter what it is, that ones a hawg! Congrats to your daughter on a nice catch!
Some might call it a pumpkinseed, but those usually tend to have more orange/yellow tone to their head and belly.
They're all in the same sort of sunfish family. Bluegill, redear, pumpkinseed, shellcracker, Green sunfish, all similar with typically only a minor difference in coloration.
Perch have a longer body that’s not as tall.
Crappie are similar to perch but have larger fins and a larger mouth. White perch and White crappie are often confused, but not the same fish.

They call it a shellcracker because despite its comparatively small size (to many other fish) they have powerful jaws and use their mouth the crack open small mollusk shells to eat the creature inside as one of their primary forages.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
You are probably right. Between here (central VA) the Northern Neck of VA, VA Beach, and into NC the same fish is known by at least 5 names including Trout which I know (i think LOL) is wrong. IDK. Who is wrong? LOL.
Must be a hot water trout!

I can tell you the easiest way to know if it’s a trout. Trout don’t have scales.

There are also plenty of other species of fish that don’t have scales, (salmon, catfish, to name a few) but if someone shows you a fish with scales and call it a trout, they’re either wrong or lying.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Must be a hot water trout!

I can tell you the easiest way to know if it’s a trout. Trout don’t have scales.

There are also plenty of other species of fish that don’t have scales, (salmon, catfish, to name a few) but if someone shows you a fish with scales and call it a trout, they’re either wrong or lying.
That is actually what they are called in some parts of NC. A bit outside of the areas I named above.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing