lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
cmxvw
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up EzGo TXT Series 36x 48v conversion?

Just got a new toy, a fun 2006 EzGo Txt Series and realized it’s too slow. We live in a neighborhood that is somewhat hilly, so this thing is almost too slow to go up the hills with two people, wanting to upgrade it so we can drive around with four people. Can someone point me in the right direction of a 36 to 48 V conversion? How hard is it?

Any other options to improve performance? What is my best option for an affordable upgrade? I’ve seen people using 3, 12v marine batteries instead. I’m a newbie with golf carts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FBBE3227-EFC8-44BD-BAE4-B6417B5B64FD.jpg (23.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg AFBEB7DB-3305-4635-A567-E7A90DD2B205.jpg (23.8 KB, 0 views)
cmxvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EzGo TXT Series 36x 48v conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmxvw View Post
Just got a new toy, a fun 2006 EzGo Txt Series and realized it’s too slow. We live in a neighborhood that is somewhat hilly, so this thing is almost too slow to go up the hills with two people, wanting to upgrade it so we can drive around with four people. Can someone point me in the right direction of a 36 to 48 V conversion? How hard is it?

Any other options to improve performance? What is my best option for an affordable upgrade? I’ve seen people using 3, 12v marine batteries instead. I’m a newbie with golf carts.
years ago I got my first cart....and found I was in the EXACT same spot you are in.

first off....using 3-12v batteries is NOT the way to go...actually you get better performance with 6-6v batteries in a 36v configuration, HOWEVER...what you really want to do is to convert it all to a 48v system. by making the jump to 48v will get you 33% more torque and speed over a stock drive system.

before I get stated, I am going to suggest one of our forum sponcers where you can get EVERYTHING and get the best bang for your buck, and that is cartsunlimited.net, in fact here is the page you will need to start at: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-sr-series--.html in reality what you will be needing/looking at is kit #4 on that page.

what you will be required to change out/upgrade to are the following and is part of kit #4 mentioned above:

CONTROLLER: considering your terrain I would recommend a ALLTRAX 500A (SR48500).
SOLENOID: MZJ400A SD 400a
HD F/R Switch: EZ575

PLUS you will need a new set of high current cables:

CABLES: 2ga cable set (Kit#2) on the cable page.

this should get you started. and with keeping with your stock motor will get you down the road at about 17 to 18 mph....if you are wanting more....you will need to consider adding a new motor to the list.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
cmxvw
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I am going to suggest one of our forum sponcers
Thanks! Any other places I should look? He is out of stock.
cmxvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmxvw View Post

I have a 36 v TXT with 6 x 6v good quality batteries and I don't have any problem riding with 4 people around woods with small hills for hours. What is year/condition of batteries? I think you have a problem with your battery health if it isn't performing better (unless you are talking about a steep hill). Of course if you have the budget...you can make it a speedster, but for a general "around the neighborhood", this cart should be fine. It was designed to take 2 guys golfing for at least 36 holes.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:17 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dont make the mistake thinkining "3 other batteries will be fine for me". Its follies you will likely regret. Waste of money. Cant say much other than that. Seen that before.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
Sideways
Gone Wild

I did the 36v to 48v conversion on my 94 Medalist (early version of the TXT)
I strongly recommend going with 6 8v batteries as well as one of the reversing contactors that cartsunlimited.com offers vs HD F/R switch.
You will also need to upgrade to a 48v charger.
In the end the cost of the upgrade was well worth it for me and I was able to do all of the work along with the help of some really great people on this site!
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

As you are starting fresh you may want to consider switching to a sepex based drive system. It will require some wiring and a new motor but gets rid off the reversing contactor. Would need some electrical knowledge. Definitely use 6 8 volt batteries. And flipping the cart so it isn’t upside down..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 383D00CC-83FC-4E06-A45B-6BD68B49E7C7.jpeg (53.2 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #8
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is the cart really a series drive? I'm not seeing the F/R lever under the seat. Of course I'm using my phone with a small screen.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Good point. Where is the fnr switch ? I am now thinking that the op meant that it is an Ezgo series as in brand vs drive system. With 2 posts and new to the cart world they probably have no idea what series and sepex means
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 10:57 AM   #10
EZGO Park
Not Yet Wild

Default EzGo TXT Sepex 36x 48v LiFePo4 conversion?

I have seen several threads on this topic but I’m hoping to tap into your collective advice on this topic to better understand the minimum needed to tackle this project.

I have the following:
2001 (3 bolts through the floor) EZGO TXT 36V stock batteries.

My primary concern is more torque and longer distance / drive time. An increase in speed is not as important. I installed the "speed jumper wire" and the cart already maxes at 18/19 mph.

I am in the process of buying a new battery and am going to convert to LiFePo4. I wanted to find out what is the minimum that has to be converted if I decide to step up to 48 volts when I make my new battery purchase?

I’ve seen several say that I can use my stock motor for a while but will need 1.) new charger
2.) new solenoid
3.) new speed controller

A few other locations stated that I will only HAVE to change out the solenoid but will most likely want to want to change the speed controller down the road.

Not including the charger, what is the bare minimum I can spend / need to change at this time to convert to 48V?

Will I increase my run time with a 48V system?

It is primarily used in neighborhoods on the road with moderate hills.

Is it worth the extra cost or would I be better off selling this model and just moving to a different machine? The cart is in excellent condition and no rust.

Thank you for your help and sharing your expertise!
EZGO Park is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO