lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2024, 03:57 PM   #1
cassperr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default '12 48V not running

Incoming long post with backstory.

newbie to the golf cart world, kids have been hammering me about getting one so I picked up a 2012 48V txt on black friday. Enjoyed it with the wife for a week or so and put it in storage till Christmas because its technically his and wanted to gift it to him. Went to pick it up on Christmas eve at my buddies house and its dead. No biggie, pushed it on trailer and got it home on charger, nothing! Tested the batteries and they were at 6V. Hollered at a guy I knew that did batteries and he come over with his fancy charger, got em all charged up, equalized and load tested. Had a 98 minute run time(rated for 118m) went to drive it. Nothing. No solenoid clicking or anything. He suggested solenoid so I replaced it. Still nothing.

soooooo where do I go from here? Ive built 8 second drag cars but this simple electric machine is kicking my butt!
cassperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2024, 04:47 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: '12 48V not running

I bet the batteries are shot. Look for the year stamped into the lead posts, should be a letter and a number, for example, A1 would be 2021 or 2011, but something tells me it's gonna have a 2, meaning they're likely the original batteries never being replaced. Three guesses the previous owner never put water in them either, and it might even have a fill system (tubes connecting the batteries). Pull a cap off and see how dry it is.

What sadly probably happened, was the controller died from low volts, which causes heat, and bakes components. Could also be shutting down from low voltage, which a 48V TXT does if it drops far too low, as a safety feature. The TXT 48 goes into a slower 'limp mode' if it drops low enough to trigger 'undervoltage cutback', and shuts completely down when the code 'severe undervoltage' gets logged. To see those faults, a handheld programmer is needed, but not necessary (helps though) but when 'Severe Undervoltage' is logged, you lose everything, solenoid, backup beeper, all power.

If you think diagnosing a TXT 48 is hard, wait till you see EZGO RXVs show up.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:17 PM   #3
cassperr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Batteries are just under a year old(2-23)
Old 01-03-2024, 06:24 PM   #4
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Suggest getting a diagnostic tool. Either 1313 handset. Or 1309 cable and 1314 software. Can also make a DIY 1309 cable if your PC savvy.
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:28 PM   #5
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Assuming it hasn't had the controller swapped to an aftermarket one.
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:29 PM   #6
larryz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Does it have a Run/Tow switch? Could be in Tow mode (especially since you said you pushed it onto a trailer).
larryz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:39 PM   #7
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassperr View Post
Incoming long post with backstory.

newbie to the golf cart world, kids have been hammering me about getting one so I picked up a 2012 48V txt on black friday. Enjoyed it with the wife for a week or so and put it in storage till Christmas because its technically his and wanted to gift it to him. Went to pick it up on Christmas eve at my buddies house and its dead. No biggie, pushed it on trailer and got it home on charger, nothing! Tested the batteries and they were at 6V. Hollered at a guy I knew that did batteries and he come over with his fancy charger, got em all charged up, equalized and load tested. Had a 98 minute run time(rated for 118m) went to drive it. Nothing. No solenoid clicking or anything. He suggested solenoid so I replaced it. Still nothing.

soooooo where do I go from here? Ive built 8 second drag cars but this simple electric machine is kicking my butt!
There are several switches that have to be activated/on before the solenoid will engage. One of these could have failed.

Controller is looking for an "on" signal from:

Pedal Switch
Run Tow Switch
Key Switch
Charger Lockout
F/R switch.
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:46 PM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

If your getting nothing at all id stop looking at the batteries. especially since you made sure you charged and checked them. I was able to go around my block a half dozen times without issue even with 10 year old shot batteries.

Id get a cheap volt meter and go from there. does the solenoid even click? if not it could be a bad switch as mentioned.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:48 PM   #9
cassperr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
There are several switches that have to be activated/on before the solenoid will engage. One of these could have failed.

Controller is looking for an "on" signal from:

Pedal Switch
Run Tow Switch
Key Switch
Charger Lockout
F/R switch.
R/T, key, Charger are all good. How do I go about testing the other 2?
Old 01-03-2024, 06:48 PM   #10
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Also try clip-leading the blue wire from the rear of the charge receptacle to main battery + and see if it runs now. I lost count at how many of those had the charger interlock fail where the car thinks it's plugged in and does nothing at all.

You can sometimes rule out the pedal microswitch by listening closely while pushing it down and back up, listening for a tiny little click.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO