lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
jreue
Not Yet Wild

Default Mock Install: Alltrax SR48500 Controller, 400a Solenoid, SW202 Reversing Contactor

This thread is based off of my recent thread where I had an issue with my 95' EZGO Medalist which stopped working. I tracked it down to my speed controller being fried. Read about that story here.

The end result was getting in contact with scottyb over at https://www.cartsunlimited.net/. I ended up ordering "Item #4" in his Speed Controller packages which included the following:
  • Alltrax SR48500 Speed Controller
  • 400a Solenoid
  • SW202 Reversing Contactor
  • 2g cable set

ScottyB had it shipped out super quick and I was really excited to get the build underway. During the wait, I pulled out my old controller, solenoid, F/R switch, batteries, and cleaned up the cart in preparation. Also, while waiting, I attempted to research as much as possible so I'd be ready for this install. I watched a few videos, read what I could find, but I still had some questions. It's one thing to watch someone else do it, look at pictures, look at wiring diagrams, but sometimes its just not all that clear.

One main thing I found was that although some diagrams, pictures, explanations, just didn't full 'show' what I was needing. Some of these wiring diagrams have multiple connection terminals and the diagrams are not always perfectly clear as to where exactly a wire goes. Some folks take pictures/videos of the inside of their carts, but I always felt like it wasn't capturing what I needed.

So, I thought I do a mock install, sort of a bench dry run of the install... If anything it helped me understand the combination of scottyb's install instructions (shout out scottyb), actual documentation, and various other install pictures/videos. Furthermore, I sure hope it helps someone else in this community who may perhaps be struggling with their install, or maybe a little apprehensive to try the upgrade.

** If anyone see's anything "technically" wrong with the wiring mockup, lemme know and I'll correct. The main purpose behind this thread is not only to inform others of the wiring, but to give me a dry run before I accidentally blow something up. :)

So here we go!

Here are all the parts I got in my package. Even got a sticker!

In the package we get the required resistor and diodes, but we have to crimp the terminal connectors on. The connectors are all included in the package. Lets do that now.

Here is our resistor that I crimped the ring terminals on.

Now we just screw that resistor on the solenoid like this.

Next we need a diode attached to the solenoid. The polarity has to be correct here. Look for the stripe on the diode. That's (+)

Crimp those connectors on!

Now lets attach it to our solenoid. Bam!

Now lets work on our Reversing Contactor switch. We need 2 diodes here.
Make sure the polarity is correct!

Crimped and ready

Now we attach them to our Reversing Contactor. On each side there are some blade terminals. Attach 1 on each side.
Here is one side...

Here is the other side...

Now....We have our solenoid and reversing contactor ready. Let's mock this install....

With a few cardboard boxes and some colored pipe cleaners, this is what I have for 'control' wiring. I think this is pretty cool as you can clearly see where all wires actually go. All the colors match what is in my EZGO cart, except for purple, which is suppose to be black...the store was out of black...

A much higher resolution version HERE

Now lets add our motor with its 2a wires

And finally lets hook this thing up to some our battery pack! BAM!

Hope you all enjoy
jreue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Mock Install: Alltrax SR48500 Controller, 400a Solenoid, SW202 Reversing Contacto

Incredible work. It really is easy to work on an EZ-Go Series cart. Simple-est system on the market. Club Car, please observe!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Mock Install: Alltrax SR48500 Controller, 400a Solenoid, SW202 Reversing Contacto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Incredible work. It really is easy to work on an EZ-Go Series cart. Simple-est system on the market. Club Car, please observe!
At least mount the controller where we see it when we lift the seat
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Aw, man! Well, now that you mention it, lol.......
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #5
BRG Tim
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for this incredibly detailed set of instructions. Many of us are electrically challenged and details like this are very valuable.

BRG Tim
BRG Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I'm thinking of precedents with 8v batteries, yeah those are fun.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG Tim View Post
Thanks for this incredibly detailed set of instructions. Many of us are electrically challenged and details like this are very valuable.

BRG Tim
Thank the forum. Members have been letting me know what information they require daily ~ for years ! We try to accommodate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I'm thinking of precedents with 8v batteries, yeah those are fun.
When you have to remove batteries to access the controller..... aargh !
It began with the battery box and ended with a splash shield... Cute but impractical.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
jreue
Not Yet Wild

Scotty does everything look correct in the wiring? Would be nice to get your blessing.
jreue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I noticed a few things that can be improved.

You currently don't show the battery powering the system, just a cable to the Solenoid big post, you need to add power to the key switch.

You are missing the charger negative wire to the battery.

If the Reversing Contactor has magnetic blowouts, which would be indicated by a + sign near the top posts that are connected together by the straight buss-bar then the circuit is wrong.

That connection needs to have the most voltage potential so the reversing contactor does not self-destruct.

You can swap where the A2 cable and the cable that comes from the Controller B+ connect to the Reversing Contactor to fix the problem.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I noticed a few things that can be improved.

You currently don't show the battery powering the system, just a cable to the Solenoid big post, you need to add power to the key switch.

You are missing the charger negative wire to the battery.

If the Reversing Contactor has magnetic blowouts, which would be indicated by a + sign near the top posts that are connected together by the straight buss-bar then the circuit is wrong.

That connection needs to have the most voltage potential so the reversing contactor does not self-destruct.

You can swap where the A2 cable and the cable that comes from the Controller B+ connect to the Reversing Contactor to fix the problem.
The reversing contactor does not have Magnetic breakouts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO