lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car TRX Fab

Mounted the spindles and I was glad to see the heat at the weld joint didn't move the spindle from where I tacked it. I let it settle and as expected, the stock TRX springs aren't holding the front end as high as I would like - the TRX was only a 250 so it was holding a little less weight then the front of the CC.

Its hard to tell from this pic, but the front is about 3" lower than the rear and only about about 3" from rubbing the fender. That's definitely not going to cut it in the woods. I pulled the shocks and they are 13" eye to eye. Guess Ill be cleaning those up and selling them on eBay soon. I found a set of 650 shocks that measure 18" eye to eye, those should be here tomorrow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3941[1].jpg (206.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3944[1].jpg (286.3 KB, 0 views)
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #22
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

I can see the drop off the front.

Glad you got the NDT stuff. I would also quarterly redo the inspection. You have done something many of us would never do. I don't want to get anal on the subject but your putting a lot of stresses on those components now and the different materials have different spring, *so to speak. It shouldn't be too hard to jack the front up and do a 30 min test of the axles every couple of months.

I have piece of mind with what you did and testing of them. Just check every once in awhile and make sure nothing is going to give. I'm sure you will be fine for plenty of time. Even if you happen to be reaching over to grab something and you happen to hit a curb or something. Test it again. I hate to be a worry wort but you have really combined a couple different universes into one. I'm sure you will be fine but that 30 min check every once in a while will bank on it.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #23
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Red face Re: Club Car TRX Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonkulor View Post
I can see the drop off the front.

Glad you got the NDT stuff. I would also quarterly redo the inspection. You have done something many of us would never do. I don't want to get anal on the subject but your putting a lot of stresses on those components now and the different materials have different spring, *so to speak. It shouldn't be too hard to jack the front up and do a 30 min test of the axles every couple of months.

I have piece of mind with what you did and testing of them. Just check every once in awhile and make sure nothing is going to give. I'm sure you will be fine for plenty of time. Even if you happen to be reaching over to grab something and you happen to hit a curb or something. Test it again. I hate to be a worry wort but you have really combined a couple different universes into one. I'm sure you will be fine but that 30 min check every once in a while will bank on it.
Yeah, and no worries your not being anal - I appreciate the concern! I definitely will be checking them every time I rotate the tires and checking again if I feel I did anything to put additional stress on them. Such as hitting a curb, jumping a creek while screaming "Yeee-Haaaww" or climbing over VW Beetles.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #24
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thumbs up Re: Club Car TRX Fab

New Shocks came in today! Woohoo, couldn't wait to get em on. I put them beside my old ones and They-Are-HUGE! Not even close to fitting the old top mount on the frame. So I had to whip up a new bracket tonight before I could jump on the cart (literally)

I love them, they have the threaded adjustment for infinite height adjustment/preload so I get a very long travel out of em and still keep the ride height I need for my 22's. Got the cart leveled off, and looking right - much better! Jumped on the front and so nice and cushy, its going to ride through the trails so smooth.

Got figure out the steering now, my wife says I've put it off long enough, she wants this cart DONE worse than me. Should I tell her yet that when I finish I still have to take it all apart and paint it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3948[1].jpg (323.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3949.jpg (125.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3955.jpg (203.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3957.jpg (215.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sorry no pics. Didn't get much "work" done other than figure out how I'm doing the steering. After realizing my DS rack & pinion just isnt going to work with this setup, I am going to try to merge a President rack onto the front of this frame just behind my bumper and run the steering shaft up through the middle at an angle. It works in my head anyways and its much less of an angle for those steering shaft u-joints. New rack has been shipped and should be here tomorrow along with some really wide Fender Flares

I still need to fab up some steering arms for the tire rod ends to mount on the front of the spindle. I want them to be bolt-on in case I ever need to replace these spindles. Right now I'm working out the geometry and ackerman so it makes a nice clean turn without digging up the turf. I've already conceded to loosing a little bit of my steering radius, that's something the untouched club car does extremely well. Before this Mod I could do a complete u-turn in my neighborhood street, I don't think that's going to happen now, but now I can climb over whatever is in the way when making a turn
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

I used the rack and pinion off of my cushman. Made a bracket and welded it to the atv frame. had to cut and extend my tie rods. Just keep the rods paralell to the a-arms so you don't have bump steer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0713.jpg (300.8 KB, 0 views)
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #27
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nice ride! Can you post more pics? Your rack is hard to see from that angle. Also how extreme is your steering arm angle? My joints were almost at 90° when mounted behind A-Arms like yours. Too much for me to be comfortable with.

Just heard my rack shipment is delayed. Guess I'm moving on to the small body mods for now as I want the rack to be here and mounted first to make sure everything is going to fit as expected before I finish my brackets. Glad you mentioned extending the rods, forgot about that! ...I'll look for pipe while I'm out today to extend/shorten my rods.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Your thread has been moved at your request Jeremy.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #29
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Back to square one on the steering! The Club Car Precedent rack finally arrived following all the Thanksgiving delays & because the Precedent output shaft is in the middle of the rack - everything looked like it would be a breeze …that is until I began to mount it – two major problems quickly showed up.
  1. Because the Precedent angles its output shaft at 30°, the U-Joint was hitting where four main parts of my frame meet in addition to the upper A-Arm mount. I wasn't about to start cutting out those sections of the frame and risk jeopardizing its integrity
  2. The inner joints on the rack wouldn't allow the arm to angle down enough when suspension was fully extended so basically the whole suspension would bind at the inner joints – eeek !

So I have now given up trying to use the golf cart racks and moved on to a nice Sand Rail setup with a centered output shaft that is nice and straight. I went ahead and ordered a tierod kit with Heim joints too. This should be a nice working setup that can easily handle all 12+ inches of my front travel.

Shameless Plug: I ordered all my parts from SandParts.com. In addition to having the best prices I could find on the net, they took the time to both listen and suggest different options on the phone. Can’t say enough good stuff about them. Here’s the best part, after the new customer discount, I got this whole buggy setup for only about $20 more than the Precedent rack alone!

For reference (mostly my own ) here is what I ordered …not too bad for $150:
(1) ac425145 Latest Rage - ac425145 Rack and Pinion 11" Sand Rail Mini Dune Buggy
(1) ac425244-12 Latest Rage-Ac425244-12 Steering Shaft, 5/8-36 X 12 Inch
(1) ac425260 Latest Rage - ac425260 Steering U-joints 5/8 36 spline x 5/8 36 spline
(1) 00-3145-0 EMPI 00-3145-0 Tierod Kit

In the meantime I painted my wheels and trimmed the front clip so it wouldn't rub against my shocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4001.jpg (182.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3970.jpg (111.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #30
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

spec on that rack, if i'm reading it correctly, is 1.5 turns lock to lock. isn't that aweful fast?
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts