lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
nujac
Getting Wild

Default Duromax 16hp valve cover drill for fuel pump hose? Metal shavi

I am at the point that I need to drill out the top of the valve cover to connect the pulse fuel pump. I tried just moving the hose that went from the air box to the valve cover and connected it straight to the pulse pump. It will run for about 1 mile at mid speed before it quits pumping and runs out of gas. (I was hoping I would get lucky and would not have to drill.)

I seen that the proven way is to drill a hole in the top of the valve cover through both sections of metal. One question is how to you ever get all of the metal shaving out between the two part cover? I noticed on my cover if I drill through the top I would go through the check valve. The second question is my motor is California emission compliant, is this valve cover different that the old style and is this why the check valve is in the way?

Has anyone ever tried pining the check valve open and adding a T fitting in the rubber hose that leaves the side cover. Then adding a car type PVC valve in the hose that goes to the air box. Then the hose on the other part of the T fitting would go to the pulse pump.
nujac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Duromax 16hp valve cover drill for fuel pump hose? Metal shavi

I have no idea how they get them to run off that hose without plugging it. If its open to the airbox then how could it have a pulse? The valve is to let out the fumes like a PCV on a car. I have to do mine I was going to try to drill through the head under the cover but not done it yet. Many put some jb weld on the cover so the fitting seals to both, then what was in there would have to go to the airbox and could not get into engine oil anyway. You can put some grease on the drill to collect chips. Look for threads they have photos of the fitting and what spot to put it in; in the side of the cover. I will put it there if I can't get it in the head casting. Yeah could not find my tap so had to buy one. Also try to use the 1/8 npt fitting its much smaller hole than the 1/4npt.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
nujac
Getting Wild

If I drill the very top of the valve cover like most of the pictures I have seen I would hit the check valve.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Do it something like this, with a 1/8 npt fitting that is smaller, if you do it in the cover. I tried it in the governor hole but its above the crank and it slings lots of oil into it.

Oops forgot the important part, here you go: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...tml#post627914

That guy epoxied a double barb fitting in there, but most tap the hole (after you drill the proper size 21/64) to 1/8 npt (pipe thread) and screw the barb into it then you have the hose barb only pointing out. They put some JB weld on the threads because the inside or outside might not both seal. Pipe thread has a taper it gets tight the more you go in, and you may not be able to tap both layers of metal to fit perfect.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
nujac
Getting Wild

Thanks the pictures answers my question.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
nujac
Getting Wild

This is the brass fitting from Tractor Supply. Tapping as shown on your picture was the sweet spot. The two plates are so close together at this point I do not thing any metal shaving could get through the two plates.

I drove around for an hour with out running out of gas. I think I might try adding a small fuel cylinder right above the carb so I can turn off the gas and run it out of the carb when I shut down the cart for extended periods. This would keep the carb from gunking up and the fuel cylinder would prime the carb without having to turn over the motor till the fuel can get repumped. May be a quart size propane camp fuel cylinder tapped for fuel fittings would work out.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barb fitting.jpg (63.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

B&S has a nice plastic valve they have them on amazon. I dunno, think I would just get some of the larger inline filters and put those in to hold some fuel. You may have to bleed the fuel in the line to get it down to the carb anyway. You could also get fittings and put a piece of larger line in before the carb to hold fuel.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I considered getting the pulse from the valve cover. But in the end I found it easier to replace the carb spacer with one that had a fitting on it.... like this.

AGK has other good clone parts for the intake & air cleaner too.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #9
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
I considered getting the pulse from the valve cover. But in the end I found it easier to replace the carb spacer with one that had a fitting on it.... like this.

AGK has other good clone parts for the intake & air cleaner too.
I drilled my carb spacer and pressed a small piece of tubing into it. Works great with no problems. No chance of getting oil in the line....clean vacuum.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
nujac
Getting Wild

I am having a fuel problem with my through the valve cover setup. It will run at low speeds and different speeds without any problems all day. However if you try to go full speed for more than two miles it will run out of gas. I have tried two different pumps but they both have the same results. I will try the return line to the fuel tank setup and if they will not work out I will need to try the intake style.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps