lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
Kristopherjh83
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 91 ezgo gxt-800/marathon suspension help

I was wondering if anyone has done any mods to the suspension, especially the front to make it better/tougher for trails but not be a brick that beats you to death. I haven’t found any a-arm kits for my cart and as old as it is I’m not surprised. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and I could probably make something but any ideas or trial and errors others have made would be appreciated. It seems like I could maybe get a txt kit with some fabricating to make it work but idk. This cart already has the heavy duty leafs on it but drivers side was broke when I bought it. Tried welding it together and it looked and functioned beautiful until I went into the woods. Broke soon as cart shifted weight. I don’t drive crazy, as I always have my 3yo with me. But it’s gonna be a working cart for the yard as well. Thank you in advance and sorry such a long post. I love this forum btw
Kristopherjh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: 91 ezgo gxt-800/marathon suspension help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopherjh83 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has done any mods to the suspension, especially the front to make it better/tougher for trails but not be a brick that beats you to death. I haven’t found any a-arm kits for my cart and as old as it is I’m not surprised. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and I could probably make something but any ideas or trial and errors others have made would be appreciated. It seems like I could maybe get a txt kit with some fabricating to make it work but idk. This cart already has the heavy duty leafs on it but drivers side was broke when I bought it. Tried welding it together and it looked and functioned beautiful until I went into the woods. Broke soon as cart shifted weight. I don’t drive crazy, as I always have my 3yo with me. But it’s gonna be a working cart for the yard as well. Thank you in advance and sorry such a long post. I love this forum btw
Not sure but think the earlier carts had different size ends on axle where the spindles hook up than the txt. Also think the spring pads that are welded on the axle are in different locations. Also think the earlier ones had drag link steering, does yours have a tie-rod wheel to wheel? Pictures of the front-end would help.

Don't take my word for it, but check before you order one.

edit: If it's like the early marathons here's one way to lift it... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...de-simple.html
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
Kristopherjh83
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thx for your reply. Your correct on everything you said and I hadn’t thought about another longer spring that’s a good idea and one I’ll use considering both the back shocks are leaking. I did the lift pretty much exact the rest of the way. Welded tubing to frame but I made my shock extension on front with flat bar (also welded). On the back square tubing that fit over original spot. Didn’t weld these and I’m gonna do the extended aftermarket ones like in the link. I have been thinking of doing away with the back springs and just using adjustable coil over shocks in place of factory. Idk yet on that one. On the front it’s the stress from kicking back when rolling over a log or something. There’s nothing really in place to keep the axle from bending under. I have been thinking about some type of suspension link or like a stiff arm that can flex but keep the axle from forward/backward movement. Looks like I’m gonna have to invent something. I guess that’s half the fun of modifying anything tho lol. I will take a pic when I get home. Thank you
Old 02-14-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Sounds like your on it.. we love pictures.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
Kristopherjh83
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I meant to post some pics but it’s Valentine’s Day and it got dark on me. I welded a 3/16” steel plate to the broken leaf spring and also welded the leaf spring again. Quick trip around the yard I could tell it was a lot better. Also flipped the tire side of the tie rod to the top to put it more linear with the steering arm. I also figured out why there is a pause when I get on it before it takes off. I believe it’s bc the whole motor plate moves backwards from torque bc the motor mount bushings are shot. I knew I should’ve at least tack welded it. I have aftermarket motor I put in it. I was thinking the clutch was slipping bc I didn’t use the clutch adapter. I used an 1-1/8” hole saw over the 1” shaft after cut and tapped. Tack welded and tapered it down by hand lol. It’s good tho. Maybe I should do a thread on that sometime haha. I will take pic of front end tomorrow or any fab work I’ve done if ppl are interested. Thx for the reply stovebolt. Your cart is quite nice as well
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO