lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2020, 11:01 PM   #11
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Oil pump cover and o ring.....

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...p-prime-3.html

Took a straight edge to the cover with a light behind it and it looks concave to me. So maybe between the swirling and slight bend .....hence the original leak that started me down this gravel road.

I did try a smaller thickness o ring and no go......

Don't like throwing parts at it just to see if it works.....but....everything has it's quirks...
Blind Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Let us know

The tolerances in this engine seem to be very tight. And even just a tiny bit out of tolerance, where most would be much more forgiving, seem to make quite a difference. When they run, they run great no question about that. But they certainly dont seem to be "built to last" like the pre-MCI motors.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the cover is deformed you may have too much clearance between the cover and the rotor for the pump to work properly. That’s very important to have the correct o-ring in this case. The cover is stamped steel and using the wrong o-ring would deform the cover when you tighten the bolts down. It would probably be wise to replace the cover. I don’t know what info is available for parts on this engine, but try to find the proper dimensions for that o-ring. Thickness and durometer are very important for an o-ring when dealing with hydraulic pumps.

If there is a totally flat surface between the engine case and oil pump housing you can use anaerobic flange seal to seal the pump housing to the case. Anaerobic sealant works incredibly well for oil pumps as it only dries in the absense of oxygen, so there are no small dried up globs to get stuck in important internal parts or block oil passages.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #14
gotti
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was having a similar problem with no oil pressure and I chased it for weeks. I finally bought a new cover and o-ring and the problem went away. I also installed a gauge to replace the dummy light and I'm much happier than playing guess the pressure.
gotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotti View Post
I was having a similar problem with no oil pressure and I chased it for weeks. I finally bought a new cover and o-ring and the problem went away. I also installed a gauge to replace the dummy light and I'm much happier than playing guess the pressure.
Did you mount the gauge in key switch plate ? and which gauge did you buy ? I drill a 2 inch hole in mine and install the electrical gauge.
Now for the other people that never look at gauge it might help to have both, light and gauge.
It don't take much to trash one of these MCI heads because like CP241 said it is hard to figure out how the cam gets oil to begin with.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #16
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Other than putting an oil type paper gasket between the cover and the o ring I haven't been able to get this to prime. That's when I started to look at the cover.

Need to call EZGO tomorrow...shows in stock..I'll order the o rings with a cover and start fresh from there.

The zero to 60 psi gauge is ordered, I went the mechanical route just to get an answer of what this motor is doing. I can't eliminate Operator error here since I wanted to learn how to rebuild an engine.... Thinking of putting a tee in the oil pressure port and being able to keep the light on the gauge in the dash and then add an electronic gauge later.

Going the electrical gauge route seems to make the best sense for the dash. Wires instead of a copper line. I've seen the plastic ones work well on pressurized water lines but they are stationary.....not bouncing around ....

I will look up " anaerobic flange seal " and see if I can apply it here. If Ezgo has the oil pressure o ring, I should be able to measure it as a jumping off point..along with the recessed area...
Old 01-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #17
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

The manual said you are supposed to fill the crank with oil and prime the oil pump. Did you follow the manual by doing this ?

I always remove the oil sending unit and fill with oil when I rebuild one. I also use Permatex 81950 Ultra Slick Engine Assembly Lube on crank journals and camshaft. Did you do this ? or use any type of lube ?

Running this engine with no pressure could damage the cylinder head where the cam runs. It sure won't do the crank and rods any good. Not sure how long your engine was run but it might be something you want to check.

I also know that certain engine shops had issues a few years ago installing thicker aftermarket o-rings .

I always use the one that was in the engine to begin with if the engine was running with oil pressure. 99 % of the time there is nothing wrong with them.
My 2 cents

When you get the new plate and oil gauge installed post back what your pressure is. That will tell a lot about whats going on inside.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #18
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, Timberwolf posted the manual on this thread and was able to print it. So VERY thankful for that.. I went page by page and verse by verse , every jot snd tittle.

Yes, I bought engine assembly lube as manual calls for. My first try at this and didn't want to fo this twice. Also bought a torque wrench, dial calipers, metric sockets, piston ring installation tools....

Yes, I did fill pressure switch cavity with oil.

Yes, I did use original o ring for pump and everything worked great . Ran with out plugs in it to give it a chance to see if everything would at least spin. Got oil into the head by cup fulls. Added two new plugs and it fired right up.

Next morning is when I noticed it wasn't house broken and dribbled oil on the ground.
Thankfully, I was able to remove fan and found pump cover leaked, maybe two ounces.

Ok, spent most of morning with EZGO to order cover and gaskets. They won't take a credit card over the phone and their web site freezes up on the very last page waiting to process.....more phone calls.....more phone calls....

Ok, parts ordered. Should try to make my own cover...

Picked up anaerobic sealant...cool stuff....I see a multiplicity of uses....

I'll be in the drive way waiting for the little brown truck.....
Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 PM   #19
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Old Coot View Post
Yes, Timberwolf posted the manual on this thread and was able to print it. So VERY thankful for that.. I went page by page and verse by verse , every jot snd tittle.

Yes, I bought engine assembly lube as manual calls for. My first try at this and didn't want to fo this twice. Also bought a torque wrench, dial calipers, metric sockets, piston ring installation tools....

Yes, I did fill pressure switch cavity with oil.

Yes, I did use original o ring for pump and everything worked great . Ran with out plugs in it to give it a chance to see if everything would at least spin. Got oil into the head by cup fulls. Added two new plugs and it fired right up.

Next morning is when I noticed it wasn't house broken and dribbled oil on the ground.
Thankfully, I was able to remove fan and found pump cover leaked, maybe two ounces.

Ok, spent most of morning with EZGO to order cover and gaskets. They won't take a credit card over the phone and their web site freezes up on the very last page waiting to process.....more phone calls.....more phone calls....

Ok, parts ordered. Should try to make my own cover...

Picked up anaerobic sealant...cool stuff....I see a multiplicity of uses....

I'll be in the drive way waiting for the little brown truck.....
Put your jacket on because it is cold up your way
Looks like you went by the book and still things didn't work. Don't think I ever saw one leak at the pump cover but I guess there is a first for everything. O-ring even the larger one should have sealed it. Anyway I will wait on your updates . Good luck
Old 01-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #20
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I first ran my rebuilt motor, it ran great and I was happy... the next day, I too found that it wasn’t house broke... I was bummin cuz there wasn’t any telling where it might be leaking because I thought I had covered all the bases... turned out the banjo bolt wasn’t tightened properly... lucky day
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO