lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 97 club car 48v troubleshooting & motor test

Hi
I have a 97 cc that I purchased not running as it needed batterys. Previous owner said it quit while running and didnt know what it was. I replaced batterys w good used trojan batterys. Im getting 51v w multi meter on batterys. When key is on and you press accel pedal the solenoids click and all but u get a light hum noise at motor. I did a motor test w 12v battery and jumper cables and can only get motor to go in reverse.I switched pos and neg and still only get reverse motion.
My question is this normal or do i have a bad motor?
I tested a 48v tomberlin the same way and got motor to spin both directions. Thanks for any help!
Purpleharley61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 97 club car 48v troubleshooting & motor test

Is this a Series or Sepex (Regen) motor?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

It has F1/F2 & A1/A2 terminals
Old 06-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

To reverse direction of a Sepex motor you have to reverse the field polarity. Jumper A1 to F2, A2 to F1.
Then apply 12v to A1, negative to A2.

I would not think this is a motor problem if your previous test made it work.

Does that cart have a Tow/Run switch? That's a quick way to tell the difference between a Regen 1 and a Regen 2 cart. Knowing exactly which you have will help with diagnosis.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If your throttle signal is low you will only get a hum at the motor. Ensure your MSP is working correctly and delivering the correct signal.....

Also ensure the voltage out the controller is correct if it is getting the correct input from the throttle.
With key switch On, Run/Tow switch in the Run position, Fwd/Rev rocker switch in the Fwd position (and also have the back jacked up off the ground).
Get your DVM and place the black (–) probe at the motor A2 (white wire) and connect the red (+) probe at the motor A1 (green wire) and slowly depress the Go Pedal. When the throttle MS closes (clicks), the voltage reading should increase from ~5vdc gradually going up to to approximately ~45-48vdc (could be higher) with the accelerator pedal fully pressed.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
If your throttle signal is low you will only get a hum at the motor. Ensure your MSP is working correctly and delivering the correct signal.....
How do I tell what my throttle signal is?
What is the battery light on at dash mean. This comes on then goes out at times. It doesnt stay on continusally
Old 06-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

At the MSP harness you will see a Yellow wire that needs to be probed. With the cart jacked up, in Fwd, and key On, check the voltage with the Red probe from pedal up to pedal down and it should go from 0vdc to 5vdc gradually changing with the pedal. (The Black probe will be on the pack Negative)

That is your OBC light letting you know your voltage is probably low.....
Old 06-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
To reverse direction of a Sepex motor you have to reverse the field polarity. Jumper A1 to F2, A2 to F1.
Then apply 12v to A1, negative to A2.

I would not think this is a motor problem if your previous test made it work.

Does that cart have a Tow/Run switch? That's a quick way to tell the difference between a Regen 1 and a Regen 2 cart. Knowing exactly which you have will help with diagnosis.
Sorry i forgot to reply. It has no run tow switch
Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

As an owner of an (essentially stock) Regen 1 the battery light seems less consistent than later models. If your OBC is original you probably have a red battery light (not amber). My light comes on at random times for about 30 or 40 seconds. Then off. And I know the batteries are good because I have a digital volt meter in the dash. Its either a common fault of the old obc or some random self test routine. I've ignored it as meaningless for 12 years.

The bad news is there are blessed few options to upgrade (without substantial changes to wiring and throttle control). If you discover that you need to replace your controller you CAN buy one but its pricey and there's only one mfr of those. Your controller will be black in color (original) or grey if its already failed and been replaced.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
As an owner of an (essentially stock) Regen 1 the battery light seems less consistent than later models. If your OBC is original you probably have a red battery light (not amber). My light comes on at random times for about 30 or 40 seconds. Then off. And I know the batteries are good because I have a digital volt meter in the dash. Its either a common fault of the old obc or some random self test routine. I've ignored it as meaningless for 12 years.

The bad news is there are blessed few options to upgrade (without substantial changes to wiring and throttle control). If you discover that you need to replace your controller you CAN buy one but its pricey and there's only one mfr of those. Your controller will be black in color (original) or grey if its already failed and been replaced.
Ok thanks for the info. I have no idea what has been done previously as the owner before the person I got it from worked on carts if I remember right. I know it has a blk controller in it. There is a gentleman that repairs controlers for around $125 that I sent a tomberlin controler to. He is in maryland but I havent gotten back to check mine out as I have been working late.
Someone said its prolly the obc but im not sure as that controls battery and charging if I understood correctly and my batteries charged fine. I have 51v w batteries. I thought when controllers go bad the cart will be dead and i think my controller is reading some of the cart as the solenoids are working.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car