lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #1
jwolfe8024
Not Yet Wild

Default 95 Club Car Gas Governor Issue

Good afternoon. So I brought the cart home this year from the campground wanting to speed it up. Now I just want it to run. I loosened the 11mm nut on the governor rod on the back and cart started having issues running. I can push the gas down about an inch and then it just falls flat on its face. So I tightened the nut back up and same thing. I did unhook the ground strap from the rev limiter and cart runs great but fast. I also replaced the rev limiter with a new one and still no change. I dont want to do any engine damage so I would rather just have it back to normal. I tried the zip ty deal and was never successful. I did open the black box below the carb in take tube and adjusted the cable so its about half way in. I also was able to clean the carb and make sure the butterfly was not stuck in any way and it is closing properly. I am confident enough to turn some wrenches just need some advice on where to look next. Thanks.
jwolfe8024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 95 Club Car Gas Governor Issue

When you loosened that pinch bolt on the governor it was no longer able to "govern" at all. The "falling on it's face" was almost certainly the RPM limiter cutting out the spark - exactly like it's supposed to. It's really a balancing act & can take some trial and error to get it right.
Put the cart in maintenance mode. Start with the adjustment of the accelerator cable out of the control box. The cable should be loose enough to let the carb butterfly close completely when at rest. Tighten the cable just enough to let the switches in the control box engage the starter and enable the spark just before the carb butterfly starts to open. When done right you can get the engine to start an RUN (not just spin on the starter) slowly enough to not close the drive clutch on the belt yet. Then loosen the pinch bolt on the governor such that it drags but the governor arm can be moved relative to the vertical shaft. I will usually put a small pair of vice grips on the end of the shaft and twist the arm to make changes. Tiny amounts of movement will give big changes in RPM. With the RPM limiter still hooked up, adjust the governor lever vs the shaft to just under where the RPM limiter starts to interrupt the spark. Tighten the pinch bolt at that point. You can disconnect the RPM limiter and set the governor slightly faster - but be aware that going too far can damage your engine. Unless you are really familiar with what you're doing I recommend staying within the RPM limiter's range.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
jwolfe8024
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
When you loosened that pinch bolt on the governor it was no longer able to "govern" at all. The "falling on it's face" was almost certainly the RPM limiter cutting out the spark - exactly like it's supposed to. It's really a balancing act & can take some trial and error to get it right.
Put the cart in maintenance mode. Start with the adjustment of the accelerator cable out of the control box. The cable should be loose enough to let the carb butterfly close completely when at rest. Tighten the cable just enough to let the switches in the control box engage the starter and enable the spark just before the carb butterfly starts to open. When done right you can get the engine to start an RUN (not just spin on the starter) slowly enough to not close the drive clutch on the belt yet. Then loosen the pinch bolt on the governor such that it drags but the governor arm can be moved relative to the vertical shaft. I will usually put a small pair of vice grips on the end of the shaft and twist the arm to make changes. Tiny amounts of movement will give big changes in RPM. With the RPM limiter still hooked up, adjust the governor lever vs the shaft to just under where the RPM limiter starts to interrupt the spark. Tighten the pinch bolt at that point. You can disconnect the RPM limiter and set the governor slightly faster - but be aware that going too far can damage your engine. Unless you are really familiar with what you're doing I recommend staying within the RPM limiter's range.
Is the governor arm suppose to move more than like a 1/16 of an inch. Thats al it will turn.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Should move about 1/2 to 5/8 inch, maybe a little more. I'll admit I've never measured the travel. If you have that little movement, I would guess you need to loosen it up and give it more room for movement. Inside the transaxle are weighted arms. As the speed increases the weights swing out by centrifugal force. As they swing out it turns that shaft clockwise, pushing back against the pull of the accelerator pedal. Start out too tight and it won't allow the carb butterfly to open.
Loosen the pinch bolt just slightly (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 turn), hold the rod with vice grips or similar & push the arm back and forth just a hair. See where that gets you. As I said, it will take some trial and error to dial it in.

Last edited by meimk; 03-03-2021 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 03-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #5
jwolfe8024
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Should move about 1/2 to 5/8 inch, maybe a little more. I'll admit I've never measured the travel. If you have that little movement, I would guess you need to loosen it up and give it more room for movement. Inside the transaxle are weighted arms. As the speed increases the weights swing out by centrifugal force. As they swing out it turns that shaft clockwise, pushing back against the pull of the accelerator pedal. Start out too tight and it won't allow the carb butterfly to open.
Loosen the pinch bolt just slightly (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 turn), hold the rod with vice grips or similar & push the arm back and forth just a hair. See where that gets you. As I said, it will take some trial and error to dial it in.
Yeah mine only moves about a 1/16 of an inch. The pin I am trying to turn is in the picture below.

File_000 (1).jpg

Or am I suppose to be turning the arm itself shown in the picture below.

File_000.jpg
Old 03-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Try this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCDS governor.jpg (52.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes the arm in your second picture. Loosen the pinch bolt nut, hold the shaft, move the arm in relation to the shaft.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #8
jwolfe8024
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Yes the arm in your second picture. Loosen the pinch bolt nut, hold the shaft, move the arm in relation to the shaft.
Thank you kindly for your assistance. That helped and it is running great again.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Glad you got it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car