lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Series cart rebuild for mom..

Well my mom’s cart is dead, lol, that is good and bad, the world is safer :) She is 89 and uses the cart to drive around with friends and visit neighbors. Probably 10-15 miles a day. A few small hills. Cart has a bit bigger tires and goes across fields sometimes. Street legal cart.

Series cart with coils. I smell smoke... and batteries are old. My though is

1) rebuild it with an alltrax conversion talked about on here.

2) Is there a way to add regen breaking? She can get a bit scary going down hills? Having the ability to slow her down before hitting the break would be good.

3) As to batteries, lithium? I am pretty experienced working with batteries, just not the loads a cart would put on them for continuous ratings. What sustained amp draws are needed?

Reliability for her is important.

Thank you for any guidance, and my first post!
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Series cart rebuild for mom..

Definitely go Lithium. It will probably save you money in the long range. If nothing else, the no maintenance aspect is worth quite a bit. A 48v cart normally driving draws about 50-65 amps continuous I would imagine. Now, there will be tons of people jump in with "But my Alltrax Controller is 600 amps", so there's exceptions to every rule, but there's a big difference between all the time and on that one occasion the moons align. In a hilly terrain, I'd imagine the same cart would draw about 80 amps. If it's a situation that she can park and charge the cart every day, after those 10-15 mile trips, then a 100Ah pack would be great. As an example, bigbattery.com sells a 48v pack that is somewhere around 30-35 Ah for golfcarts. Not sure about that going 15 miles, but I'm sure they would tell you what they think.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure Mom needs a 10 yr battery pack at 89 but we can hope she does
What's the UL # on that pack and charge system in this cart for a 89 yr old single woman?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

Looking at alltrax 400 and I think it says you can have personalities? So I could have it restricted a bit as long as she doesn’t complain and remember that she complained.

Man those batteries are expensive, have to see if building a pack makes sense or if my the time you pay for shipping, bms, charger, breaker/fuses it starts costing the same. Not enough coffee yet to write out a parts list and do math
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car