lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #11
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Smallest battery I can use for a winch

Would it not work/be advantageous to run a 36/48V to 12V converter and utilize the battery pack? Are the AMPS for a winch too high for a converter?
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #12
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Many guys use a converter to reduce the voltage for a lot of different things.

I use my cart primarily for hunting. My personal belief is that if I get, let's say, "more than just stuck" (like my pack fails, or a connection I can't find fails, or whatever!) I at least have a separate power source (marine battery) that I can winch the cart with.

Not that I would winch out a cart stuck 3 miles back in the woods......OTOH, I have....during my initial swap to lithium.....ran a test of "how far can I go" and ran outta juice (LV BMS worked like a charm). I had to make it back to my truck via a walk...with many breaks.....and then drove the truck down to the cart. (I was on a path and crossed fields where a truck could go). I winched the cart into the back of the truck....and went home!!

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #13
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzIndyGo View Post
Would it not work/be advantageous to run a 36/48V to 12V converter and utilize the battery pack? Are the AMPS for a winch too high for a converter?
The converter will not provide the amps needed to work the winch under load. At least I haven't found one yet.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:28 PM   #14
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lots of variables in how many amps a winch might draw: weight your pulling, how "stuck" it is, capacity of the winch, etc. I think the least I've seen in specs on one started at 50 amps. That's a weeny winch and light load. Even that is beyond any of the common reducers.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #15
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

Google

Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 - 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

We had an atv that the stator was broken and it was too expensive to fix. So, to run the cooling fan, starter, lights, winch, ignition, we used a bank of 3 lawn and garden batteries stacked side by side accross the width of the rear rack. We built a simple plywood box to house them and keep them secure etc. We wired it into the factory 12v battery hookups. Those three batteries lasted for days of regular use, even using the winch many times. We would charge it 2x per week and used it that way everyday. Was it a hillbilly rig? Yep. But you do what's neccessary.

So, IMO, you could "get away with" using a lawn and garden battery as long as it was properly charged up on a regular basis. However, if you use the winch more than a couple times, you will find it not adequate. Charging the battery is a whole different issue. You can use "quick connect" charging cables that are permanently mounted to the battery. Many chargers have these for vehicles that are used in storage for continuous trickle charging. There are many other types of quick connect cables you can use.

The other way would be to use a deep cycle battery. Mount it in your dump bed or bagwell area. Use a nice marine grade battery box and some heavy 10 gauge cables from the battery to the winch/solenoid. Will the battery box be in the way? Yep. Will the battery box look "non stock"? Yep. But you deal with it so that you can have the tool you need. You still have the charging issue, but that's a minor detail.

My opinion, if you need a tool, make room for it. Looks are secondary when you need a vehicle to be set up for a specific job. Do it right and you'll never have problems with it.

If you're trying to do this project and have the vehicle appear stock? Good luck. I'm sure there's a way, but I can't help you there.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #17
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
The converter will not provide the amps needed to work the winch under load. At least I haven't found one yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Lots of variables in how many amps a winch might draw: weight your pulling, how "stuck" it is, capacity of the winch, etc. I think the least I've seen in specs on one started at 50 amps. That's a weeny winch and light load. Even that is beyond any of the common reducers.
Makes sense. Seems like 20 or 30A is about the most you'll get out of a converter and that's a long shot from 50+!
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:40 AM   #18
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
If you're trying to do this project and have the vehicle appear stock? Good luck. I'm sure there's a way, but I can't help you there.
I think the kids these days call it Far From Stock? Not sure.

I just might go the lawn and garden battery route, especially if I find enough room at the front of the cart to mount the batt up there.

HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:47 AM   #19
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ok well that answers that question I really like your cart. Purpose built.

You know, one thing you could do is have a battery box with the battery in it and run your winch wires straight to that. Mount the box in the bag well area with rubber strap hold downs. Then have a couple charging wires run right next to where your cart charger plugs in. Have another plug there for the aux battery, I'm sure you can rig something up that is quick and conveinient.

I know car hauler trailers use small auto batteries all the time, no reason you can't use a small car battery. I've seen trailers with a 10k winch powered by a car battery. see pics

The other day I was at Rural King and they had a 24 series battery for $75, not a bad price. That battery would run your small winch without an issue.

My cart has a battery a little smaller than a 24 series and I run my 2500 lb winch without an issue. It'll pick the front end of the cart up right off the ground. I think I could run the winch 2-3 full pulls before the battery would slow down. It's not ideal, but it'll pull the cart out of a mud hole easily, or pull a log or deer, even a hog (although I've never done it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WInch-Trailer-Box.jpg (69.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rural king 24 02.jpg (79.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rural king 24 01.jpg (62.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg trailer winch.jpg (108.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg battery box.jpg (138.1 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #20
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What about a good old faithful come a long? Not as fancy but no battery required.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts