lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
CJones1290
Not Yet Wild

Default Onward Lifted Rough Ride

Hello All,

New Member and glad to be a part of the forum.

I have a 2021 Club Car Onward Lifted. In my opinion, the ride is terrible and more than once, I have hit a bump on the course and bounced out of my seat, with phones, cans, etc flying out of the holders.

My question is - is there any type of shocks, or other things that I can do to help cushion the ride? I am hopeful there are UTV style (Fox Shocks, air shocks, etc) that can be installed. I did speak to my dealer and all they told me was "We've heard the Onward rides rough. It's because of the extra suspension for the lifted cart." So, not much help on this subject.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
CJones1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: Onward Lifted Rough Ride

Drop the PSI in the tires by alot. My cart was horrible after lifting it when the tires were 30psi. I think I'm at 14 right now and it's so much better. Still not as good as stock golf cart tires though.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
golfer188910
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
Drop the PSI in the tires by alot. My cart was horrible after lifting it when the tires were 30psi. I think I'm at 14 right now and it's so much better. Still not as good as stock golf cart tires though.
I didnt think about doing this! I have a 01 DS lifted that runs so rough. I am taking out the HD rear & front springs and putting on normal ones to help with the ride. Bushings & shocks too. I checked my PSI just now and its like 33... airing down to 20ish to see if that will help.
golfer188910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

20 won't be low enough.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #5
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJones1290 View Post
Hello All,

New Member and glad to be a part of the forum.

I have a 2021 Club Car Onward Lifted. In my opinion, the ride is terrible and more than once, I have hit a bump on the course and bounced out of my seat, with phones, cans, etc flying out of the holders.

My question is - is there any type of shocks, or other things that I can do to help cushion the ride? I am hopeful there are UTV style (Fox Shocks, air shocks, etc) that can be installed. I did speak to my dealer and all they told me was "We've heard the Onward rides rough. It's because of the extra suspension for the lifted cart." So, not much help on this subject.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I've got the same cart (2018 ), and I would second the advice on dropping tire pressure (assuming it wasn't already down). I run 12 psi in mine, but I changed the stock tires Club Car puts on them to radials that don't make so much noise on the road so not sure what a good amount of air would be in the factory ones (14" wheels I assume? That's what I've got...)

12" wheels and keeping 23" diameter tires could also help, assuming you have 14" wheels.

The other thing I did and it helped a lot was to remove the helper spring in the front. I put a piece of flat bar painted black as a spacer where the spring came out, but you could probably skip that.

You didn't say if your cart is Lithium, but if so it is lighter (I put lithium in mine and dropped a few hundred lbs. or more) and I don't think they (Club Car) bothered to change the suspension so the early factory lithium carts were a bit rough - may still be. If you go off road or your cart is heavy (lead acid batteries) you may want to see what other opinions are on removing the spring. I only rarely go on unpaved paths, and I wouldn't call it "off roading"... Virtually all driving I do is paved.

I've seen conflicting info on trying different rear leaf springs, and there was a thread somewhere that talked about replacing the front dampers with ATV shocks of the same size. IIRC, that poster took off the front leaf springs altogether I think and relied solely on the shocks. I'm not sure that would be a good idea but if you search you may find out more about that option.

Good luck with it.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

A neighbor just got a new Onward with a factory lift and rear back seat. I was checking it out and was surprised Club Car let it leave like it was. It had the stock mono leaf spring in the rear and the rear axle was riding on the bump stops. You may want to check if thats the issue with yours. If thats the case, id suggest the Dual Action springs. They ride like stock when the cart is unloaded and the over load springs kick in once weight is added.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #7
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

second on the dual action springs!
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:41 PM   #8
Joshwaa
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am not sure what it is with the Onward but I have the same 2021 Onward 4 pass lifted and mine is less than a 1/2" from the bump stops in the rear with no one on it. Club car has done something wrong. I even have a lithium upgrade, so if I had the extra weight of lead acid I am sure it would be riding on the bump stops. I plan to either do a 4 link or cut the leaf past the axel and install coil overs. Not sure yet as I am trying to figure out if I want a bit more lift or not.
Joshwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #9
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwaa View Post
I am not sure what it is with the Onward but I have the same 2021 Onward 4 pass lifted and mine is less than a 1/2" from the bump stops in the rear with no one on it. Club car has done something wrong. I even have a lithium upgrade, so if I had the extra weight of lead acid I am sure it would be riding on the bump stops. I plan to either do a 4 link or cut the leaf past the axel and install coil overs. Not sure yet as I am trying to figure out if I want a bit more lift or not.
Although 4 link and coilovers would be a nice upgrade, i would swap the springs out with the dual action springs and remove the bump stop all together. Im also not sure why they have a panhard bar on the rear as well. Having leaf springs the panhard bar shouldnt be required.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #10
CJones1290
Not Yet Wild

Thank you! I'll give that a shot.
CJones1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car