lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
Bobbysox56
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Delay start

Hello All,

We live part time in on San Pedro Island in Belize. The main mode of transportation here is Golf carts. Most of them are the gas EZGO style cart. Our neighbor returned home and said I could use his cart. When it runs it does ok but after a stop ( engine shut down ) and I step on the gas pedal there is about a 3 to 5 second delay before the cart starts up. If i am at a stop and the engine just turned off it kicks right back on. I have worked on motorcycles, cars, backhoes, etc. so I do know my way around engines. I am limited on the test equipment I have but do have a decent tool box. This thing probably hasn't been looked at in years. I do plan to clean all the connections, check the grounds, but is there anything in particular that may be causing this? A bad solenoid/relay....switch on the gas pedal...??? Thanks for your help.
Bobbysox56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default Re: Delay start

Could be the brushes in the starter.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It’s one of 3 things...

Weak battery. Don’t use a small battery, I’ve found that the bigger CCA you can get the better. These engines have pretty high compression and no compression release valve. So when the motor stops it takes a bit of “oomph” to get past the compression stroke.

Connections for power and ground (particularly the generator ground to the brace above it) clean them and make sure they are good.

Inspect the brushes, just peel back one of the rubber covers on the starter/generator. If they’re worn, it can cause this.

If all that checks out, then the starter/generator is probably just old and tired. If you replace it, ONLY use an OEM unit. Don’t get one of the $100 aftermarket ones, it will blow itself up within a month usually (if you’re lucky. Some don’t last that long).
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

When you push the pedal do you hear any noise? If yes check to see if the belt is slipping. If no, see above..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:36 AM   #5
Bobbysox56
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks all....i will check everything you told me.
Bobbysox56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car