lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #11
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Humdinger Refresh

Got some work done this weekend - removed all of the electrical wiring and components, then cleaned and stripped frame. Turned out well although I still need to remove some of the carpet glue on the floorboard.

Replaced the old potentiometer with a new MCOR4, and installed the Navitas AC controller. Also installed the new shorter steering column.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame.jpg (681.8 KB, 0 views)
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Last night I made an aluminum plate to replace where the old OBC was located. I installed the new accessory fuse block on the plate which is located behind the front seat, so it should be easy to access if needed.

I also worked on the new carbon fiber-style dash, cutting out a section for my new accessory switches.

Tonight I will be making mounting brackets for the new front LED lightbar. Once I have those welded onto the brush guard, I'll take it and the switch plate cover to the powder coater's.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:10 AM   #13
Jnsd1984
Not Yet Wild

Frame looks good, and the column. How much shorter did you go?
Jnsd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:45 AM   #14
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnsd1984 View Post
Frame looks good, and the column. How much shorter did you go?
I believe it is 3-inches shorter than stock. It's made for limos and I got it from David at revolutiongolfcars.com.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #15
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I did a little more work on it this weekend including running some accessory wires, installing the solenoid, updating the dash from burl wood to a more modern carbon fiber look, and installing the AC motor.

I went with the bigger AC motor (go big or go home) and that caused an issue with clearance - namely the motor contacting the right leafspring mounting brackets.

Luckily, David at Revolution Golf Cars already had a plan for that. He said I could swap the axles between the 1999 DS Humdinger and my 2014 Precedent. The differential on the newer axle is offset more to the left, allowing additional clearance. Worked like a charm! And there is still plenty of room for my PQ Executioner motor on the older DS axle. Thanks David!
Old 03-01-2021, 10:21 AM   #16
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

There is one thing that is kind of irritating about this Humdinger... this thing was EXPENSIVE when it was new - like nearly $19,000 in 1999! And yet the manufacturing and fit and finish of this vehicle is not equal to the cost.

I have been spending a lot of time cleaning up welds, cutting or grinding off tabs and brackets that are too long, cleaning up the electrical systems, and basically trying to figure out how to make everything really nice and worth the cost and effort.

It sure seems like Ultra Carts, the manufacturers of the Humdinger, did everything they could to save money and basically Mickey Mouse everything together in the cheapest and easiest way possible. Except for the fiberglass body - that's really nice and well made. Not really worth $19K though...
Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 PM   #17
Jnsd1984
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr3 View Post
I did a little more work on it this weekend including running some accessory wires, installing the solenoid, updating the dash from burl wood to a more modern carbon fiber look, and installing the AC motor.

I went with the bigger AC motor (go big or go home) and that caused an issue with clearance - namely the motor contacting the right leafspring mounting brackets.

Luckily, David at Revolution Golf Cars already had a plan for that. He said I could swap the axles between the 1999 DS Humdinger and my 2014 Precedent. The differential on the newer axle is offset more to the left, allowing additional clearance. Worked like a charm! And there is still plenty of room for my PQ Executioner motor on the older DS axle. Thanks David!
Interesting, so if you had gone with the smaller motor it would have cleared. I agree though, you're only gonna do it once, if you can swing it do it big. I'll have to remember that I'll need a newer style axle for when I do mine..
Old 03-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #18
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnsd1984 View Post
Interesting, so if you had gone with the smaller motor it would have cleared. I agree though, you're only gonna do it once, if you can swing it do it big. I'll have to remember that I'll need a newer style axle for when I do mine..
According to David, the smaller motor would have fit without any issues. I just wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I went with the smaller motor.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:29 PM   #19
Jnsd1984
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I agree...
Old 03-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #20
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Work continues, although too slowly due to other more pressing projects.

I installed the motor, controller, solenoid, voltage reducer, as well as my new fuse block. I also did a complete brake job and will eventually add hydraulic front disc brakes since the top speed will be much faster.

I've also been spending a lot of time on replacing and updating the dash, which has been more difficult than I imagined. Ultra Carts designed it so that it all has to be assembled in "layers" - first the custom dash support, then the dash, then the fiberglass front clip, then the dash surround. And the glove boxes have to be trimmed to fit as the dash sits higher and farther back than on a normal DS. What a pain! I'm also replacing all of the switches and adding a few more for the lighting: interior, parking, headlights, front light bar, side spot lights, rear light bar.

Some of the aluminum welds were pretty lousy so I have been re-welding and cleaning up those, and I got my first batch of stuff back from the powder coater's.

The next big project is to figure out the wiring, which is already confusing me. I'm updating the stock CC DS electrical from Series to IQ, plus converting to the Navitas AC system, and rewiring all of the "accessory" items like lights, brake lights, turn signals, horn, etc. It's overwhelming. I'm going to have to sit down and draw out a complete wiring schematic and TRY to figure it all out. I will probably drive David Hicks crazy with all of my questions because I just don't easily understand electrical stuff...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motot.jpg (657.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg dash.jpg (473.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car