lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #1
lx504life
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Precedent starter smoking

Alright guys just got this cart and trying to get some help. Took it out for about 20min ride non stop and it really started getting hot from under seat and started to get a smell of something burning so we stopped. Lifted seat up and noticed smoke coming from top of starter generator. Let it sit for a little and had nothing with the pedal. Ended up towing it back home. Any ideas?
lx504life is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2021, 09:05 PM   #2
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Precedent starter smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx504life View Post
Alright guys just got this cart and trying to get some help. Took it out for about 20min ride non stop and it really started getting hot from under seat and started to get a smell of something burning so we stopped. Lifted seat up and noticed smoke coming from top of starter generator. Let it sit for a little and had nothing with the pedal. Ended up towing it back home. Any ideas?
Take starter apart see if bearings are bad. If bearings are good commutator is probably bad.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:18 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Depends if it’s an original Club Car starter or an aftermarket.
A dead voltage regulator will make the generator run at full output and will cause it to smoke itself.
Some cheapo aftermarket starter generators are known to fail in the same way. They smoke themselves just because they can. Either way, plan on replacing both the starter and the voltage regulator.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
lx504life
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and followed some electrical testing I found online here and found I have power making it to the SG. I pulled the SG off and pulled end covers off. Definitly where the damage appears to be(strong burnt smell). It is an aftermarket one that came on cart when I got it. I did notice when I pulled the wires off, that on each lug the lower nut and lock washer weren't fully seated or tight against SG body. Would it be possible that these poor connections would have caused an overcharge on SG smoking it? Next question is do they make rebuild kits for these SG? Oem starters are a bit out of budget and trying to find an alternative. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I got bearings at napa

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Spend the money on a quality OEM unit. Even a used one on eBay is 10x better than the aftermarket ones. The aftermarkets are known to eat themselves from the inside out in a month or less
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #7
lx504life
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yea this one is an aftermarket one. Appears after doing the continuity check on each terminal it is a grounded A1 or A2, grounded wire in brush area or grounded armature/commutator. So looking for a SG.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
lx504life
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Need help guys. Found a local guy that has 2 brand new oem starters and claims one of them will work for mine but I can't find any info to back that claim up. They are 47559475002 and 47559475001. Please any help. Mine is a 2007 precedent gas
Old 02-19-2021, 10:11 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Cant really say which one it should be, don’t know the part numbers for those.
I would think Whichever one physically looks like yours will work. They didn’t change much on these other than the newer ones are slightly higher output (starting power output).

Continuity from A# post to the case usually means the armature is shorted (fried windings).
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks like both those #'s are for the Subaru EX40 engine - 001 for the pedal start, 002 for key start. Your '07 should be the Kawasaki engine so neither one would be right for yours.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car