lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #1
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 12v reducer and aux battery- grounding question

I have a 20 amp 48-12v reducer on my cart. It is key switched and only becomes active when the cart is switched on via the dash key. I am installed a radio and will be adding a 12v six battery for only the radio. The reason why I am doing this is 2 fold. One so that my memory is not reset every time I turn the cart on and off and also for electrical noise on the am and fm bands.

My plan is to install the aux battery and have the radio hooked up to it.

I want to tie the six 12v battery ground to the converter ground.
I then want to run the ignition switch wire from the radio to the output of my converter.

Has anyone set anything up like this? Does anyone see a problem towing the grounds together? This is much more simple than installing a relay to my key switch for the battery

I will be mounting a small 1.5 amp battery tender on the car for only the six battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 12v reducer and aux battery- grounding question

Edit:

Not some much grounding, it would be bonding if the negatives with the battery and aux 12v converter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:48 PM   #3
anthonyjcworley
Not Yet Wild

First check the volts of the key switch if its 12 volts Wire the reduced 12v- to battery- then to radio neg. Wire reduced12v+ to the key ground. wire ACC and ON from the key to the ignition/remote wire on radio, wire ON to battery+ then to radio
anthonyjcworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Most the converters have the 12v negative and battery pack negative combined inside the box. So if you have two separate negative leads they are likely soldered to the same lug. You can check it with a continuity meter to see if your converter is set up like that.

I have seen many people combine the negative leads.

Also, don't connect the negative leads to the cart frame like a car. Cart's aren't set up with a 'ground'. For all the 12V accessories run two wires, one for + and one for -

----- edit ------

I misunderstood your initial question, sorry.

If you are going through the hassle of an additional 12v battery then why not just run all your 12V off of it instead? It'll handle the load. Since you have to run a separate charger for it and all, why not just minimize your wiring?

Back to your question, I don't think it'd be an issue connecting the 12v battery negative to the 12v converter negative. If you do that you'll just need to make sure the two 12v positives never interact. But I don't see the benefit of connecting the two 12v negative leads to each other. You could do it, but why? If you want it to be devoid of electrical noise then you'd want to keep it completely segregated right?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!