lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2021, 07:23 AM   #1
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Anyone running an ammeter?

I was thinking of installing this in my dash.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273552900624

Plan is to wire the reset button to a switch and then conformal coat and pot the entire pcb with epoxy so it is water tight. I’m already running a volt meter from Scotty B. This would be the icing on the cake for battery monitoring at a low price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Anyone running an ammeter?

I have the same meter and it works fine, although it is a lot cheaper from amazon and you can get it in 2 days:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not sure what you meant by "reset button", I also have a separate voltmeter so I have that meter set to just display amps.

Rather than using a conformal coating, I mounted that meter inside a shallow plastic box with the voltmeter on top and have both on my steering column so I can monitor the voltage and amps while driving.

I used a bracket like this one:

This is the only photo I could find:

Edit:

Quick comment about the meter reading on that photo.

That meter shows an extra decimal point to the far right of the display for "charging" current. I have a Lithium pack and that photo was taken near the end of the charging.

Having both meters together allows you to not only monitor the charge but it is also nice if you have a Regen cart as You can see both the Regen current and the impact it has on the pack voltage as you brake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp_meter_photo.jpg (121.9 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks man!

Just bougtt one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I have the same meter and it works fine, although it is a lot cheaper from amazon and you can get it in 2 days:

I am not sure what you meant by "reset button", I also have a separate voltmeter so I have that meter set to just display amps.

Rather than using a conformal coating, I mounted that meter inside a shallow plastic box with the voltmeter on top and have both on my steering column so I can monitor the voltage and amps while driving.

Edit:

That meter shows an extra decimal point to the far right of the display for "charging" current. I have a Lithium pack and that photo was taken near the end of the charging.

Having both meters together allows you to not only monitor the charge but it is also nice if you have a Regen cart as You can see both the Regen current and the impact it has on the pack voltage as you brake.
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #4
morvolts2
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

Edit:

Sergio,is the hall effect sensor OK with extending cabling? Have you used a 400amp clamp on meter to verify the accuracy? Im using a shunt type meter and would rather use a hall effect.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a clamp meter but I never compared the readings.

Based on the charging current I measured with my Fluke when I was adjusting the charger and what displays when I am charging now, I would say it is probably within 0.5 amps.

Since the hall sensor connects to the meter using a 3 wire ribbon cable, I assume that is a standard 1-wire non parasitic interface (positive, negative and data).

All the measurement is performed at the sensor itself and only digital data is transmitted.

The 1-wire interface is good for at least 50ft.

Edit:
I already had an existing corrugated split loom from the battery compartment going under the cart to the dash area.

I just cut the zip ties holding it in place and stuffed the ribbon cable inside for protection and then just zip tied the split loom back in place.

That ribbon cable does need some environmental protection.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
morvolts2
Gone Wild

my concern is splicing in to the cable.
To get the gauges in the steering wheel I had to make a coil of flexible cable(think slinky) around the steering column.

The cable I used is an 8 conductor. IIRC Im using 6 of them with current set up.

Another build Im doing has a custom steering wheel so I will need another place to mount. I really like having both the "fuel" amps and volts all in front of you,
I just wish there was a way to dim at night.
I first made one that eliminated the clip board attachment,plan b was go back to that design so I could clip a filter(piece of paper) in the clipboard to filter out some of the light coming from gauges.

for waterproofing I took the gauge apart and pulled lens,coated the interior of gauge housing with black urethane,reinstalled the lens,then sealed the gauge to the steering wheel face plate, the "fuel" (SOC)gauge claims its weatherproof so I left it alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200925_120436.jpg (249.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200925_120332.jpg (176.8 KB, 0 views)
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!