lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Check out an AC motor with a DVOM

Hello all,

I have a friend with a non-golf-cart low speed vehicle that I'm going to go check out this weekend. It is a 72V AC drive system that's kicking out a code that says "over current or motor short". The main cables have some stupid routing, so is there a way to evaluate the motor itself with just a DVOM?

My thinking is I can unbolt the cables and evaluate the motor. If it's good then I'll start checking the cables and all their jacked routing. If the motor's bad then I can stop right there.

Thoughts?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Check out an AC motor with a DVOM

Anybody? I'm headed up there this weekend. Any ideas on how to check out an AC motor to see if it's ok?
Old 01-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
morvolts2
Gone Wild

If it has been working fine and now its not,I doubt its the cable routing,other than obvious rubs thru the insulation.
Before you disturb anything do a smell test.
Normally a suspect component will have a burnt smell. Motor windings will darken when burnt.
to be successful in motor diagnostics with a DVOM its best to have motor winding specs
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Morvolts. The smell test is a great idea to use at the start.

I'm headed there now. My 'hope' is that it's the routing of those cables against some sharp surface. I'll reply if I get anything figured out after this.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:45 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So I went to check out the motor and controller on this Moke with some google searches and a DVM think it's good.

The first thing I did was set all the settings back to factory and checked the battery voltage. They read 64.5V, indicating ten 6V batteries at full charge. I verified the error code was 1-3 indicating "motor short, overcurrent, encoder issue or loose wire".

Then I did the sniff test. Nothing smelled burnt and no evidence of heat.

Then I verified the motor wasn't frozen. One rear wheel on the ground, the other in the air and I spun it. No odd noises and no odd resistance.

Then I checked the ohms of the various motor windings. According to what I saw online, all three windings should be very close to each other in their ohm readings and should be very low. I read from U to V, V to W and W back to U. Each reading was 1.7 ohms, so that appears good.

I then checked the encoder was getting power from the controller and it was, 3.30V, which I can only presume is correct. I was then able to connect the software I have for adjusting the settings on this controller and with one wheel in the air, spin it and see in the software it register motor RPM. So I knew the encoder was communicating back to the controller and the RPM readings seemed vaguely accurate, again I have no way to know for sure. But when I turned the wheel by hand faster, the number went up.

I checked all the high power cables for chaffing or looseness or corrosion and none was present. I checked all the connections for the encoder for the same, none were present. Lastly I disconnected each plug on the controller to look for bent pins, corrosion or evidence of heat/melting and none were present.

So the motor looks good, the cables and batteries were good. My guess is that it's the controller that let go since just giving it power causes it to issue the overcurrent/motor short/encoder error code. So now we wait on a new controller from Moke, who said they would warranty the old controller out.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:15 AM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I verified the motor wasn't frozen. One rear wheel on the ground, the other in the air and I spun it. No odd noises and no odd resistance.
Arg, I don't know why I typed "rear wheel", it's a front wheel since the Moke is front wheel drive.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
mgeno64
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Moke Programming

Bronsonj,
Can you direct me to where i can find the programmer or whats needed to program my Moke's speed?
mgeno64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can pay me to come do it if you're somewhat near enough to me in Florida.
The alternative is you'll need to find a contact in China where you can buy the cable and software. There was nothing I could find in the US when I looked.

Also, these moke controllers seem to be a little fragile. So don't increase the amps for better acceleration. But you can increase the max RPM for more speed. Given the rate of failure for non-modified controllers I personally no longer increase the max amps or add regen to anything I modify. I do increase the max RPM so people get more speed, but I don't do anything else unless the owner fully understands the potential for failure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!