lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #11
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: ?? about seats

Upholstery is definitely one of those businesses that has a wide range of quality in materials and skilled craftsman which leads to a wide variety of pricing. For instance, my mother has an marine upholstery shop and has done this work for over 30 years, we looked at doing my pontoon boat seats using what we know as quality material (with free labor) and couldn’t beat the price of mass produced pontoon furniture we could find online. That mass produced stuff barely lasts 2-3 years in FL before it falls apart and that’s stored under a roof for protection. If you have to consider labor it’s $80-100/hr around here for quality work, could get it as low as $50/hr if someone is hungry and a full set of seats someone needs to pull apart, pattern for the new ones, cut materials, sew it up, then upholstery it to the seat bases is easily a days work if not more for a set of new/custom golf cart seats. While I don’t think seat covers (or boat seats) are as nice as new upholstery you can sure change them out a few times before you cover the cost of building from scratch!
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #12
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yeah buddy... Bucket seats up in this B!@#$....
LOL...
Price was the driving factor to me, comfort is a close second.

Here are some pics of the seat base.
The seat back is already fiberglassed and is painted, waiting for it to dry. I have the 1/4 20 cap screws in there for safe keeping, but the back will be screwed on and removable to access the Voltage reducers I relocated in there. and for battery water level checks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2399.jpg (103.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2400.jpg (166.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2401.jpg (180.5 KB, 0 views)
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:17 PM   #13
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’m considering this type of design. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 446C9A7B-C299-4947-BAFD-37BB0542E2EE.jpeg (18.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg AB73EE1D-E3DD-47EE-B787-108A7679B5B2.jpeg (273.6 KB, 0 views)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #14
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That looks cool.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:36 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briboy View Post
Mooncarter: This cart is a Chinese rip-off of a Gem Car. From what I can tell there are not many here in the US. I may actually have the only one. I know that sounds bold but I have searched and searched and find no USA info whatsoever. It is the Chinese Personal Carrier model EG6023K here is my description post on this forum https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=168996
I knew when I picked it up stuff like this would be an issue, not being able to just purchase new or used parts.

RNajarian: Funny you say this, those high back boat seats have been on my Amazon wish list since I got the cart. They are like $140 for the set and will fit the front and back perfectly in my case. Yesterday after posting this I started looking into the costs for making proper base and back for both and decided I would do the boat seats.
They have a Blue/White that I think is gonna match up well and save me a minimum of $150 and a whole lot of headache.
Whatever works for you.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #16
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Being my Seat area is open, Now I am thinking along the lines of making the seat base so it drops in to fill the hole, then if you need to access the battery compartment, have this type of set up so the seats themselves flip out of the way then lift the base off....
Hmmmm..... Thank you. this may be a much better way then what I was going to do.
Do you have a lead of where to get those hinges?
Old 01-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #17
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is the short answer, followed by a concern I have about the flip forward seat design.

The hinges are standard marine type hardware and can be found at a marine supply store or at certain seat manufacturer websites.

Now for the concern. . .

Originally I wanted to eliminate the flat piece of wood. Ideally the bucket seat completely covers the battery compartment and flips forward to service the batteries. However, the flip forward design I am looking at may have some disadvantages. The existing “cut out” where the traditional bench seat bottom fits may not properly accommodate the flip forward bucket seat.

Meaning there may not adequate support near rear seat area to support the back of the seat. It is possible to create a strong metal frame to support the seat but that introduces an entirely new can of worms by possibly creating.a shorting problem with the battery pack.

Basically will the flip forward bench seat be properly supported by the existing bench style seat frame? I will take some measurements as soon as I can get back to my cart.

My Plan “B” is similar to your idea. A flat piece of wood covering the battery area with the bucket seats bolted to that. Fold the seat forward then lift the wood with both bucket seats forward to service the batteries using the existing bench seat hardware. Cover the wood piece with upholstery and install a center arm rest or cup holders between the seats.
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:59 AM   #18
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
I am in a similar situation. I would like to refresh/reupholster the front bottom seats in my cart. Problem is they are two toned and it may be difficult to match the vinyl without doing all four seats. Likely to replace the bottom cushion in the current two toned pattern will require customizing and fabricating two different vinyl materials. Not sure of the cost . . . I bet $300-$400 is a fair guess.

Instead I’m considering replacing all 4 seats with “something” else. Currently I’m looking at two toned high back boat/fishing seats or the front and the same pattern low back seats for the second row.

The boat seats appear to have more foam than my current OEM seats. I’m going to verify measurements soon to see if they fit and of course I’ll do an evaluation of the weight.

. . . but my rough guesstimates are that I can replace all four seats for anywhere between $400-$500.

You can see an example of the stock seats in the first photo, and possible replacements in the second photo. There are a variety of colors and styles available. Naturally, there will be some engineering required to access the batteries, but I’m sure it won’t be that difficult.
Sorry, RN, but you know I have to give you my opinion.

A few years ago I replaced or recovered the seats in our shooting houses. The seats you picked out are the ones I used and I can tell you that they are not only heavy but what I did not like is the fact the seat back is very straight! I felt like I was going to fall forward while sitting in the shooting house. The original swivel seats in the houses had a slight lean to the back and it looks like your original cart seats do too. The other thing to consider is the depth of the new seat. Because the back is so straight, you lose an inch or two on the bottom depth. I hope that makes sense.
Lastly, the seats I bought were very firm as are most boat seats. They did feel a little better after a year or two but were never what I considered comfortable. Have you actually sat in one of those boat seats?? I think you should before you make your final decision.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:21 AM   #19
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Forgot to mention that the seat you selected is not going to sit perfectly flat if mounted to a wooden bottom. The reason is the metal hinge and screws raise the bottom of the seat about 1/8 to 1/4 inch so you'll have a gap from the middle of the sides and around the front. They may not be a big deal to you but I'm betting it will be. You'd probably have to route out a slot for that hinge to make the seat fit flush.
I think the same thing may apply to the back of the seat not sitting flush to the cart. I'm not sure. It's 2 o'clock in the morning and I have time to just to sit and ponder ideas like this. I'm going to bed before I come up with a complete redesign of your seats.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:06 AM   #20
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
Here is the short answer, followed by a concern I have about the flip forward seat design.

The hinges are standard marine type hardware and can be found at a marine supply store or at certain seat manufacturer websites.

Now for the concern. . .

Originally I wanted to eliminate the flat piece of wood. Ideally the bucket seat completely covers the battery compartment and flips forward to service the batteries. However, the flip forward design I am looking at may have some disadvantages. The existing “cut out” where the traditional bench seat bottom fits may not properly accommodate the flip forward bucket seat.

Meaning there may not adequate support near rear seat area to support the back of the seat. It is possible to create a strong metal frame to support the seat but that introduces an entirely new can of worms by possibly creating.a shorting problem with the battery pack.

Basically will the flip forward bench seat be properly supported by the existing bench style seat frame? I will take some measurements as soon as I can get back to my cart.

My Plan “B” is similar to your idea. A flat piece of wood covering the battery area with the bucket seats bolted to that. Fold the seat forward then lift the wood with both bucket seats forward to service the batteries using the existing bench seat hardware. Cover the wood piece with upholstery and install a center arm rest or cup holders between the seats.
And this is why I have not said anything about the design y'all are talking about. Either what y'all are talking about won't work or I can't wrap my head around what you are trying to do, and I have built and upholstered a lot of golf cart seats. Why on earth would you want 2 bucket seats to flip independently of the part underneath that has to flip forward?

Also, CCNorth is 100% correct about those seats y'all are talking about. They are an improvement over sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in a boat, but they are nothing like sitting on a golf cart seat.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop