lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2020, 11:12 PM   #11
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Got the bug

780 comet clutch
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2020, 07:21 AM   #12
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

IF you are going to build a high output 670 and have the space you might want to use the beefier CVtech. About the same price as the 780 but is rated for more power.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #13
CaptG
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am using a 1990 club car ds. I just read on Vegas Cart site the cv tech clutch might be to big to fit in club car. I did an electric cart, but this is my first gas cart. How is the clutch to big? Length, hitting frame, diameter, hitting mounting plate or something else? I am retired tool and die maker with my own Bridgeport mill and Colchester tool room engine lathe in my shop. I can modify things if needed, usually But I have been known to modify something beyond repair trying to get it to work how I thought it should.
CaptG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #14
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It is wider than the 780 so the frame is probably the issue.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

[QUOTE=CaptG;1730446 I am retired tool and die maker with my own Bridgeport mill and Colchester tool room engine lathe in my shop. I can modify things if needed, usually But I have been known to modify something beyond repair trying to get it to work how I thought it should.[/QUOTE]

Having your own tooling is great - you can be so inventive. If you want to go big on your brake system I could help you. I run 4 wheel disc brakes with a cable operated parking brake. Jake's brake systems use WilWood brake components and the parts I used on the back matches the front components. If you want to go fast -- you have to stop fast -- safely. With the hp a performance 670 can achieve you gotta be careful.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
It is wider than the 780 so the frame is probably the issue.
This is the biggest reason most go with the 780, it's very slim. A lot of carts don't have the room between the frame rails and other obstructions. The 780 works great in my cart with a 23hp Vtwin. I'm sure if the Vtwin is "built" it might exceed the ability of the clutch, but a lot of people have used the 780 without issues.

With that said, overbuilding is always good, so I agree, if you can fit the bigger clutch, go with that. You can get the dimensions online. You could also call one of our sponsors who sells the clutch for the dimensions.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #17
CaptG
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Started the gear change to the 6 to 1 gears today. I will be taking pictures and posting. I got gears out this afternoon in pretty short order. I found where previous owner of cart hit something really hard with bottom of differential. Bottom case bolt was twisted up and part of casing where bolt goes through is busted up. Good news is damage did not go through to gasket surface on case cover. If I can’t find another cover I can still use this one. My lift 7 1/2 inch sport lift kit arrives tomorrow. Heavier rear leafs are already here and will go on when I put rear end back together with new gears. Also bearing on upper shaft fell apart as I removed shaft from housing. It only had half the ball bearings between the races. Glad I didn’t try to run it before changing the gears. Would have not been good.

If pictures post in order I wanted them to, first is of drivers side axle housing removed. Took tire off, removed brake cable from axle housing, removed u bolt holding axle housing to leaf spring, them removed bolts on housing flange that hold axle to differential. Removed housing. Next picture is housing ready to take off cover. Next are exposed gears in differential after cover removed. You can see upper shaft just has inner bearing race on end of shaft. Bearings and outer race fell off when I removed cover. Next picture is new gears next to old ones. I’ll take pictures as I press gears off and new ones on. Last picture is bottom bolt just as it came out of cover and you can see damage on cover. I should have cleaned cover better but wife was calling me for dinner.

Stopped for night. Don’t know when I’ll get to work on it again as I am on call 24-7, but will post more as I get to work on it.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
CaptG
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok, had time this morning so I changed the gears On the differential shafts. Big gear was really easy, bend down the lock tabs and remove the eight bolts. Gear comes off with just a little wiggling. Wipe every thing down, apply light coat of oil, slide new ring gear on. Align with pin from old ring gear, put locking tabs down, install eight bolts and bend up tabs. That one is done. Took other shaft with gear on it to 20 ton press and separated them. Wiped down shaft and gear, applied light coat of oil, installed key and pressed together. Five minute job. Side note: I realize not every one is as fortunate as I am to have a shop full of tools. I also see a lot of BGW members here in Michigan. I extend the offer to any member who wants to drop by that I will assist in whatever I can to help them out with their project. Pm me for my phone number and we can talk.

I decided to replace all bearings involved and the new ones will arrive Saturday. I work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so Monday I will be putting the new bearings on and if I get differential cover issue resolved to my satisfaction will be putting that part of project back together.

New six to one gear set up on left, just need to remove old bearings when new arrive, and replace them. Old twelve to one gears on right. Any one wants used in good condition stock gears they are yours for cost of shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DF57B2AF-181E-4CB8-BE53-E5F851E0B22F.jpg (145.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2020, 07:18 PM   #19
CaptG
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Got really busy with the summer job, but had the last couple days to myself. Got the lift kit on the back and will start on the front lift in a couple days. Wheels and tires arrived. Put the back ones on when I finished the rear lift. 670 predator ordered from Predator performance. I’m number 5 on the list. Takes about a week per motor. This will give me time to finish front end lift, brakes and a few other pieces of the cart I need to take care of. Picture of cart as it sits right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3E135600-C66E-4C13-92A3-AED658AEC4AC.jpg (327.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-01-2021, 07:48 PM   #20
CaptG
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok, I am ready to continue this project. Got really busy with tow boat job and then was asked to work northern Lake Michigan. I just couldn’t say no for the $$ they offered me. Hopefully season is over and I am home and can get working on the cart. Couple changes, I had good conversations with Shepard and got a wealth of information. Thanks again Shepard. I had installed a 7 1/2 lift. No way to put brakes on without lots of fabricating. I ended up removing lift kit and got a 4 inch Jakes lift kit. I figured this will keep my center of gravity lower. This cart is for around town and not going off road. They also have a hydraulic disc brake set up for this lift. I ordered that also. I ordered everything I think I will need for this build mid summer. All but the front brakes have arrived and I am told they won’t be much longer. COVID really slowed down deliveries. New lift is in, electric low pressure fuel pump is mounted. Engine cradle is replaced with Vegascarts cradle made for my vintage and model cart and the 670 Predator. Did that this after noon. Installed fuel gage sending unit in tank. I have a gage matched to this sending unit that I will install when I get the new body on. I put on the heavy duty clutch on differential. Also added heavy clutch on engine. If I get a chance I will try to place engine in tomorrow. Here’s a couple pics of where I am right now. Also pic of motor. Thanks for looking.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!