lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
Iron92
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default 1976 Harley Davidson Clone Swap, Anyone done one?

Well i have had mine for roughly a month or so. I finally got the timing correct and it was running great. I got two seconds of weird noises and then it seized up. Anyone show me or point me in the right direction for this build. I checked VC and of course they dont show HD for a kit. I like the predator 420. I know the rear end needs changed to a G2-G9 setup. I just found a boneyard for these things. I will call them tomorrow for that. Any additional info would be great. Trying to keep cost down as the Mrs isnt pleased but it isnt worth a thing not running. I also want to run a alternator on the motor as well so I have power.

Thanks in advance.
Iron92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Iron92
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1976 Harley Davidson Clone Swap, Anyone done one?

Well I guess I will have to figure this one out on my own as no one has done it. I will make sure to report with my findings to pass it on to the next person.
Iron92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its been done, try searching with google this site for harley clone swaps.

You will have to fabricate stuff, though you could buy the mount for G2/9 if you use that cradle. I made mine out of bars it was pretty quick to do since I had a mig welder handy. Hooking up the exhaust and cables and airbox was the hardest part or took the longest. Scroll through there is picks of my mount. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...-clone-bb.html ITs a G9. There is a small alternator they use a lot, its for a tractor should be threads on it here in clones. Or you can use a one wire GM. I used the stock gen and kept the pedal start. You can use a cart clutch with the sheave, or vegas has a sheave that goes behind the 780, or you can put a pulley on yourself or on the flywheel side. If you get a G2/9 you need the secondary at least, I'd get the whole cradle and shocks just to get it together quicker you can change things later. You might want the brake cable splitter too a rod can hook to that from your pedal. Oh and the shifter and cables though you can make a shifter too. Clone has minimum wiring, you can use a B&S key or the one that comes with it. People might be busy out riding there is a lot of help here. I been busy with cars and yard stuff lately I need to try a new carb on my cart soon as I make an adapter for it. But I did hit 41gps with it last weekend on the road. Its a lifan 420 with a vegas rod and cam and some other parts, on 22 tires. Raydhd has a harley with a sled engine in it, but may have used the stock rear I don't remember think he has a thread on it in sled swaps.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The tragic flaw in Sho's thread is that the Harley engine seesaws in front of the engine cradle mounts. To use a 4 cycle engine cradle on the harley frame would take massive fabrication.I suspect that is why I have never seen one done. Could somebody like Rifter or Smallblock do it ? Certainly BUT the real truth lies in the fact it would just be better to use some other frame.I really looked what it would take to do this when I ruined my harley cart engine. I actually had the G 14 and the HD side by side looking at what it would take.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

On pgs 9,10 of Jonr3's harley cart conversion there are some great pics of the frame and motor cradle set up.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Isn't the Harley cart setup with an automotive type rear differential. I saw a setup with a 3 speed car transmission to a automotive type rear but the guy was a machinist. He turned the input shaft of the transmission to fit a secondary clutch -- supported the outside tip in a bearing -- built an engine mount over the top and mounted an opposed twin Onan and a comet 780. To me it was simple, you have reverse and 3 variable speed forward gears. If you use a Chevy 3 speed you could shift second and third gears up or down.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

There was another guy that put in a comet reversing unit on a 4 stroke engine between the engine and the primary. He got it to work but TONS of machining was involved. He was aware the 4 stroke would not survive the harley's 30 degree or so tilt and reclocked the whole engine cradle.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

A simpler repower would be to use a EZGO marathon engine or a yamaha G1 engine. You would still have reverse, more parts availability and probably more durability.One step further would be to ues a yamaha bravo or enticer engine that can be made to run in reverse. But I suspect this is not done because of the fab work required. Those were both options I looked at.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Years ago I took a Yamaha G16 engine/swing arm/ transaxle and a main frame member and grafted it into a HD 4 wheel car for the boss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010_09270004.jpg (388.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2010_09270006.jpg (343.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2010_10170013.jpg (535.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2010_07190003.jpg (242.1 KB, 0 views)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I see just what you did. Just ignored the harley's cradle mounts and used a single pivot mount farther forward on the frame. Also seen the frame's rear cross member relocated quite a bit forward as well. The other swap I seen the builder used a G 2 cradle and was going to move the rear cross member forward as well. I seen drawings and parts pics but never the finished product. You proved my theory if someone could figure out a way to do it. It would be you or Rifter. Really nice. How did you manage springing the whole thing ? I guess also you had to fab up the panhard bar with the correct geometry to keep everything aligned. The pics just show it on jack stands.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps