lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2023, 03:45 PM   #1
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default V-Glide, 2 or 3 Wirw

I hate to ask this bc it's probably answered somewhere, but I cannot locate it.

"How do I know what Throttle device I have on my CC?"

It is a 1994 (J9425) Transender, Series motor, 36V with SS controller. I converted to 48V, Upgraded to an ALLTrax controller. I have replaced everything, except for the Throttle device, and removed the OBC. I say "Device" bc I hear so many names for it dropped. It is what was on the cart when I bought it, used of course, and was told it could handle 48V.

What I'd like to know is how to identify which Throttle device I have. Is it a 2-Wire, 3-wire, and V-glide, a multistep potentiometer, or a PowerDrive system? I am suspecting it is a multistep Potentiometer with a wiper and Resitors built in. So, if it is, is it a 2 or 3-wire? I think there are like 4 wires coming out of it, Black, White, Blue, and Red or something, I forget. I want to go into it and clean and adjust it, but if I need parts or need a new one, though it's working right now, I need to know which one I have. I hear of 2-wire and 3-wire, but not how to tell which one I have.

And, I have searched a lot to find the answer without starting another thread. I apologize. Joe

Last edited by joepiccaso; 02-23-2023 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Add some info
joepiccaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2023, 07:32 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: V-Glide, 2 or 3 Wirw

I could be wrong, but I think you have a Multi-step potentiometer. This is a V-glide with resistors. It is a pie shaped device located between the center batteries.

I also believe you have a 0 to 5k, which is what you can set the Alltrax to. The blue and green/white wires are from the footswitch.

The black and white wires are the 0 to 5k signal to pins 2 and 3 of the old controller. The should go to J4 (white wire) and J5 (black wire)

See if that checks out.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 01:06 PM   #3
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Good info, Thank you. And, I agree with what you say. I will double-check the wiring when I work on it next. I have actually had it in a Golf Cart shop for another reason, the New FnR switch I bought failed. The guy reset my controller for more speed, but at the same time put full power to the Reverse and that is dangerous. I believe I can change it in the Alltrax controller, but I haven't tried programming it yet. I have to push the accelerator pedal way down to initiate motion and then it jumps pretty fast. I felt that the V-Glide may need to be looked at.

But, which wires actually determine what is a 2-wire or a 3-wire V-glide?

That is still my question. Thanks
Old 02-24-2023, 01:45 PM   #4
Brian Baker
Gone Wild

If I remember correctly, at least on the 90-94 DS carts it is 4 wires from the V-glide, black, white, blue and green w/white stripe.
Part # is 1016012.
By no means an expert just letting you know what I have found.
Brian Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 01:57 PM   #5
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, I believe that is what mine has. But, is it a 3-wire or a 2-wire model? That's the piece that confuses me. People refer to them that way, but I don't know which is which. This is a more general question than a specific one at this point. I'm sure I'll find a part number on the case somewhere when I take it off. I just cannot find anything definitive about how to identify the two. You had good info for me, one day it will become clear, I'm sure.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:08 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Operation power to the controller is 2 wires only, the black and white wires.

Even though it has 4 wires coming out of it, it is a two wire control. The second pair of wires is for the footswitch.

The Alltrax is completely programmable by you through the Alltrax toolkit. You can set reverse speed at anything you like.

I have mine at 25% because backing up fast scares me!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:52 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The old Multi-step pot was a two wire unit.
You have two signal wires for the throttle. And two wires for the throttle micro-switch.

It can easily be converted to be a 3 wire unit to give a finer resolution. The controller often responds better to the 3 wire setup, especially if you change to an Alltrax or similar aftermarket controller.

The true V-glide has 5 larger cables and no internal resistors. Those were used on the non-controller series carts that had the row of toaster coils behind the batteries.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:12 AM   #8
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

I am so sorry guys (Tom47 & Fairtax) for not responding to you on this post. Both gave me very good information, thank you. I actually, had written a response but apparently did not send it. I was reading some old posts and ran across this. I'm having another wiring issue and was rereading a bunch of older posts. I'm trying to trace some wires since there have been so many changes and no wiring diagram tells me what I need. The OBC is gone, everything but the Pot has been replaced and I had some wires come loose from the old fuse block, and I don't know where one of them, a Blue wire, belongs. I did install a 12v reducer and new fuse block. The Blue wire appears to have been attached to the fuses, but reattaching didn't seem to help. Solenoid Clicks but it doesn't go. That sounds like the problem of the day for a lot of carts. I'm trying to build some notes for troubleshooting and rewiring everything so I know what is going where. I just retired recently so I have the time to figure it out. But, again thank you for your help!
Old 01-10-2024, 04:15 PM   #9
bourret58
Not Yet Wild

Tom
Don't you have the manual with schematics?
bourret58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:06 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepiccaso View Post
Good info, Thank you. And, I agree with what you say. I will double-check the wiring when I work on it next. I have actually had it in a Golf Cart shop for another reason, the New FnR switch I bought failed. The guy reset my controller for more speed, but at the same time put full power to the Reverse and that is dangerous. I believe I can change it in the Alltrax controller, but I haven't tried programming it yet. I have to push the accelerator pedal way down to initiate motion and then it jumps pretty fast. I felt that the V-Glide may need to be looked at.

But, which wires actually determine what is a 2-wire or a 3-wire V-glide?

That is still my question. Thanks
All 36 volt cars with solid state controllers use a 0-5K 2-wire throttle signal.
All 48 volt cars built the first 16 weeks of the 1995 model year also use a 0-5K 2-wire throttle signal
All cars after week 16 of 1995 model year use a 5k-0 3-wire throttle signal.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 wire, 3 wire, multistep potentiometer, v-glide
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car