lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
jrlg
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1982 Gas Harley Davidson Golf Cart Muffler

I am not a mechanic, but couldn't you just replace the old HD muffler with a small aftermarket straight through muffler. It might look and sound different but wouldn't it run okay?

Thanks
jrlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #12
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

On a 2 stroke the whole exhaust system including the muffler is basically part of the timing of the engine. On a 4 stroke you have the cam and valve timing but on a typical 2 with no cam or valves a critical part of the timing is how things flow and expand in the exhaust. Think of some of the classic 2 stroke dirt bikes or sleds where they have that big bulge in the down pipe. The racing chain saws are another place that it is clearly visible when you see some of the exhaust systems they use.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
Lochlin
Gone Wild

And old school cart guy that I know up at my camp mentioned to me once that any two stroke muffler from that era will work so long as the compression ratios are similar and could be modified to fit. He mentioned using Yamaha G1 mufflers on old Columbias and Harleys. I actually have a G1 and, although their compression is a bit higher than the HDs, (110 - 120 versus 90 - 100) I bet they would work.

In seeing the two different mufflers, modifying a G1 to fit an HD would be doable but some welding would be needed for sure.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
'82 dx4 muffler, 1982 hd gas muffler, part number 65231-82, replacement needed, where to find 65231-82
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson