lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
luebkeb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Charging AGM batteries with old charger

I need to buy new batteries for my Yamaha G19 tomorrow. The battery dealer is recommending AGM batteries.

Will my original charger work with this batteries, or should I stick with flooded lead acid batteries? OR do I need a different charger?

Any thoughts or recommendations?
luebkeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging AGM batteries with old charger

It looks like Trojan owns the AGM brand batteries and AGM does have a deep cycle but the way I read it it is a maintenance-free battery.I can't help you with your charger and i'll let you decide on which batteries you need.If it was me I would rather go with the Trojans.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/reliantagm/

Last edited by Yamahaman; 10-14-2015 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: add trojan webpage
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

"Absorbed Glass Mat" is not a brand. Its a design style of lead acid battery (and trojan doesnt own the design).. Using a charger not designed for agm will work, but will shorten the life of the battery. Overcharging is the number one no-no, if you "boil-off" the electrolyte, you generally cant replace it like you can a "wet" battery. Any charger with an "equalization mode" is sure to kill an AGM. If i were gonna do it (go with a maintinence free battery), i wouldnt go with agm, i would go with fullriver SLA. I do have some experience with those and good results. Either way, a "wet battery" charger is not something i would use with SLA or AGM. Delta-q "quik", or Dpi can set you up with a proper charger.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
luebkeb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Right, AGM stands for Absorbent Glass mat, not a brand name. I was going to provide link to good article, but not a member long enough.

I'm not sure what I'll go with, but I'm probably limited by what the local supplier has available. But thanks for the tip, I'll ask to see what else they have.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of choices in suppliers around my area. Hopefully I find something that will work.

I've used AGM in other vehicles, and liked them, but with the amount of charging I do, I don't want to cook them dry...
luebkeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would not use AGM batteries in a golf cart. USE FLA batteries. All of the chargers are designed to overcharge and that will kill AGM batteries.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by luebkeb View Post
Right, AGM stands for Absorbent Glass mat, not a brand name. I was going to provide link to good article, but not a member long enough.

I'm not sure what I'll go with, but I'm probably limited by what the local supplier has available. But thanks for the tip, I'll ask to see what else they have.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of choices in suppliers around my area. Hopefully I find something that will work.

I've used AGM in other vehicles, and liked them, but with the amount of charging I do, I don't want to cook them dry...
Don't you have any Commercial or Industrial Battery vendors in your area? No one says you must buy your batteries from a golf cart vendor; namely one recommending AGM in this application.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
Delta-Q Guru
Not Yet Wild

Yes, it is likely the existing charger will not properly charge the AGM batteries. With a higher investment price, you will want to ensure your charging system is properly configured or you will be replacing batteries within the first 100 cycles or so.

In my experience AGM's can be a great maintenance free option, but there are few high performers in the market and a lot of pretenders. Fullriver, Lifeline, possibly Trojan Reliant (un-vetted) are some of the more reputable options.
Delta-Q Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha