lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
Matt Kirsch
Not Yet Wild

Default Carryall 1 reliability issue

I've been fighting with this '94 Carryall 1 for most of the time I've owned it. When I got it it needed choke when cold but ran well once warmed up.

One day it wouldn't start and it's been a non-stop fight ever since.

Every time I replace a component, the cart starts INSTANTLY and runs PERFECTLY for a bit. Maybe minutes. Maybe a few weeks. But then it reverts back to not running anymore.

I've followed the symptoms and done the troubleshooting and replaced the components systematically. The initial problem was it lost spark. Found online that it was 100% the rev limiter, no doubt about it. Replace the rev limiter and the ignitor while you're in there and you'll be golden. This was the ONLY time it did not fire and run like a top.

Ended up replacing the rusted and delaminated coil. VROOM! Started up and ran like a top. Then one day, just crank-crank-crank... Still had good spark, so fuel problem.

Replaced the fuel pump. VROOM! Started right up and ran like a top. Then nothing.

Replaced the fuel lines and filter. VROOM! Then nothing.

Finally replaced the carb. VROOM! Ran a couple weeks, now it won't start UNLESS I "blood let" the carburetor. That is if I open the drain on the carb and let some fuel run on the ground, it starts right up and runs perfectly... for about 3 seconds. Every time I let fuel out, it starts and runs perfectly for 3 seconds.

I am at a loss. The typical engine troubleshooting is failing me. The carb is new, everything is new, fuel is clean and fresh. It still won't run. Why?
Matt Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Carryall 1 reliability issue

Sounds like you bought a Chinese carb and the float needle isn’t seating fully, so it’s flooding the engine while it sits. Check the oil dipstick and see if it smells like gas and/or is overfilled.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
Matt Kirsch
Not Yet Wild

Yes it's a knockoff carb. There is nothing wrong with the original but the cart would not run until I replaced the carb.

The oil smells like gasoline but ALL gasoline engines' oil smells like gasoline. I have never had one that didn't. Even brand new Chevys.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d take the original oem carb apart and give it a good cleaning, take the jet and air screw out, take everything apart. Clean it out real well with carb cleaner and compressed air and then give it another shot. Make sure the float valve is completely closed. If you hold the carb upside down and put a fresh piece of hose the fuel inlet, you should not be able to blow into the hose no matter how hard you try.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also smelling is subjective but I’ve never noticed regular oil smelling Like fuel… there two very different smells imo.

I’ll leave the Chevy comment alone
Old 10-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also, have you checked valve lash adjustment? Or checked compression? Never hurts to know what you’re working with
Old 10-25-2021, 06:29 PM   #7
Matt Kirsch
Not Yet Wild

OEM carb has been pulled apart cleaned blown out pulled apart cleaned blown out pulled apart cleaned blowed out... You get the idea. I've beaten that dead horse quite thoroughly.

It won't even fire on the OEM carb.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car